Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sprint Build

Validated User
    Quote Originally Posted by defective View Post
    Easily the sprints are my favourite boxcars, can't wait to read the rest of the build...
    Have to totally agree with you there defective, not that I'm biased or anything lol.
    Cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.

Validated User
    Now that I had decided who was going to complete any work done on the Sprint, my next decision was, what mods exactly were I going to do. I was thinking some AFR 165 heads, replace the Sprint manifold with something better, some extractors and decent exhaust and a tune. Fate it seemed had other ideas as a deal on a Vortech V2 supercharger and bracket was way too good to pass up. With hardly any mods to the engine the blower would increase power way more than just heads and intake alone could ever make. So forced induction it was and the Sprint was booked into the Streetbuilt workshop.

Jeff and Matt removing everything so the motor could be removed.

All ready to be lifted out.

Here she comes.

I am glad I decided to pull the motor out and strip down. Matt was happy overall with the condition of the motor but we found this.

Bottom end needed a good clean but was in perfect condition.
    Cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.

Validated User
    Well so much for the updates coming think and fast.

While Matt at Streetbuilt started pulling down the motor, parts were arriving from Summit on a weekly basis. It was like Christmas for grown ups.

We sent the heads off to get a clean up and new valves and springs fitted. Pic of the block without the heads, Matt was extremely happy with the condition of the bores.

When we got them back, Matt bolted them up and we test fitted the rocker covers. Looked Sweet as.

Validated User
    Next piece of the puzzle while Matt was putting together the engine, was where to fit this.

After much deliberation and test fitting it was decided that the air-con condenser had to be move to under the driver side guard to allow the intercooler to moved as back as possible.
    Test fitting the intercooler

We had to cut the crap out of the bottom of the front bumper for the cooler to fit. Once we were happy this is how it looked when we test fitted the bumper.

Then Matt and Jeff made some brackets and the intercooler was bolted into place..

Mmm tough, noice gonna sound mean.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Validated User
    Cheers XR6menace and FTe217.

I'm pretty happy with the way it ended up turning out but I have some new plans for the Sprint.

I better finish this first build thread before I get to that though.

The engine bay also received a bit of a clean up. Got rid of the firewall insulation as well. Looked much better once this was done. My only regret is that I didn't have the engone bay resprayed while the motor was out.

While we were waiting for some other parts to arrive, I decided to take the Sprint home to give the under body a clean up. Decided to go with underbody black after giving it a good clean and degrease. I can advise, on jack stands - this is not for those who fear hard work or using some elbow grease lol
    All masked up to ensure I didn't get any over spray on the lower half of the panels.

After giving it a clean but before the underbody black went on.

After, made a huge difference.

Not long after i finished, I got a call from Matt to bring the Sprint back to the workshop so the motor could go back in.

A few days later I got a sneak peek

I also decided after a bit of discussion with Matt and Jeff, while we were going with the whole 'black' theme we thought we might try something a bit different with the upper Sprint manifold.

Very nice Rich. I like the manifold. Looks sweet. Please keep the updates coming

Love it. Great work
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

Validated User
    Thanks Tim and Ian. Ian I hear on the grape vine your coming over west sometime?? Have to take you for a spin if you are

To continue with the black theme and to go for a bit of stealth we painted the intercooler black. Its ended up being a bit of a pain now though as I have to keep touching it up but at least the cooler doesn't stick out like dogs balls.

The Di Filippo 4 in 1 headers turned up, i didn't realise these come black as standard = win

Next was a trip of to Prestige Exhaust in Malaga - Ricky did an awesome job, talk about a legend. System ended up as a twin 2.5" all the way through with high flow cats and magnaflow mufflers.

Validated User
    Next was making all the pumping up for the intake, blower and from the intercooler to the intake manifold.

The passenger side strut tower had to be "gently" massaged to allow enough clearance for the V2 and the intake piping to fit.

Holes where cut in both the drivers and passengers sides for the intercooler and intake piping.

Motor sitting back in the bay fiited up with the blower ready for all the pipe work to be fitted. I loved the black theme and still do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast