Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Defective's luxobarge

While im waiting for the funds to come through I'm slowly mulling over ideas for this that won't break the bank.
    I'm setting myself a limit of 10k to get this thing the way I want it, including purchase price, spend any more and it just eats into my fh plans too much.

Aff has its uses, and I've been going through a few of the fairlane threads on there, and one thing I've noticed is the vast majority of these big girls get modified very subtly. Ie factory style rims etc etc

I'm sure Kristo won't mind me using his pic here as inspiration...

22s on the back, 20s on the front, I like the look, just not the rim style here. Thinking more along the lines of these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20-22-inc...db62321&_uhb=1

Obviously the ride quality will be compromised somewhat, especially once I get it low enough to less resemble a SUV, but I don't mind that.

Can get them in custom offsets, so should be able to get them to really fill the rear arches on the big girl. Dunno about black centres either, would probably get them resprayed a silver or grey. Or see if the centres will polish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
    In the words of a wise man: if you don't read the papers you're uninformed, if you do read the papers you're misinformed.

My $0.02 ex GST.

Yeah I think a lighter colour will contrast well with the dark colour of the car.

We all have different tastes. If it were me I would get fat 18s and some beefy rubber, and drop it just enough for that purposeful look. Too low and it ruins it for me, and so do rims that look out of proportion with the silhouette of the car.

Kristo's looks as though it has the right ride height but those massive rims are too big for my liking. But that's just me.
    “…The lies (Western slander) which well-meaning zeal has heaped round this man are disgraceful to ourselves only…How one man single-handedly, could weld warring tribes and wandering Bedouins into a most powerful and civilized nation in less than two decades….A silent great soul, one of that who cannot but be earnest. He was to kindle the world; the world’s Maker had ordered so." - Thomas Carlyle

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Falc'man For This Useful Post:

defective (17th June 2013)

My $0.02 ex GST.

Yeah I think a lighter colour will contrast well with the dark colour of the car.

We all have different tastes. If it were me I would get fat 18s and some beefy rubber, and drop it just enough for that purposeful look. Too low and it ruins it for me, and so do rims that look out of proportion with the silhouette of the car.

Kristo's looks as though it has the right ride height but those massive rims are too big for my liking. But that's just me.
    Normally I'd agree with you, but every pic I've seen of a lane on 18s or 19s show how tiny the rims can look, these things seem to have massive wheel arches.
    One pic I found is a b series lane on g6et rims (I think) with a thin whitewall, which creates the illusion the rims are bigger than they really are.
    In the words of a wise man: if you don't read the papers you're uninformed, if you do read the papers you're misinformed.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to defective For This Useful Post:

Falc'man (17th June 2013),WASP (19th June 2013)

That looks great. Looks much better than Kristo's.
    “…The lies (Western slander) which well-meaning zeal has heaped round this man are disgraceful to ourselves only…How one man single-handedly, could weld warring tribes and wandering Bedouins into a most powerful and civilized nation in less than two decades….A silent great soul, one of that who cannot but be earnest. He was to kindle the world; the world’s Maker had ordered so." - Thomas Carlyle

yer the late Lane looks neat !
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Just my opinion - you asked for it!

FORGET the bus wheels! Apart from the fact that you void all chances of insurance because they are illegal (and risk the car being impounded on every other day) they just don't work practically. And they make your brakes look pathetic.

Black or any dark wheel will be lost to a certain extent on a dark coloured car so a silver wheel will appear larger especially if it has thin spokes going all the way to the rim without a lip a la Azzurros. Here's some pics of my TL with the gunmetal Cobras and with the Azzurros so you can compare.

Oh year forgot to say - they are 18s.
    Australian Muscle Car ... "It is a sensational high performance vehicle; a beautifully engineered and immensely capable four door Grand Tourer or 'GT' in the truest sense of that tradition."

No prize for guessing what car they were referring to ... OWN THE ROAD ...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterAU For This Useful Post:

defective (18th June 2013),Falc'man (18th June 2013)

Your quite right, 22s are completely impractical, and in all honesty il change my mind 11ty times before I buy some rims anyway.

Still think the right ride height and the right rims could look pretty cool though.

The azzurros in that pic look a couple of inches bigger your right, and that's half the issue. I hate flat faced rims like that with a passion, and I love dish... To run dished rims, and make them look a decent size you have to go up a size or three.
    Finding a rim that doesn't highlight the puny brakes won't be easy either, although if I get something with thicker spokes then they will hide the brakes completely lol.

Edit, what offset/width are those azzurros? They almost look like e series offset?

Yes those observations are spot on - I hated Azzurros to begin with because the spokes go to the rim which is just way too thin (old school thought process at work). I love my dished wheels even though they look smaller.

The Cobras are 9" wide on 24mm offset front and rear.

The Azzurros are 9" wide, but staggered offset ... 25mm front and 15mm rear.

PS. The front has been lowered about 12mm since those pics were taken and she looks a lot meaner now.
    Australian Muscle Car ... "It is a sensational high performance vehicle; a beautifully engineered and immensely capable four door Grand Tourer or 'GT' in the truest sense of that tradition."

No prize for guessing what car they were referring to ... OWN THE ROAD ...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterAU For This Useful Post:

defective (18th June 2013)

Kristos opinion on the 22s are the final nail in the coffin for the 22s I think.

I was willing to put with a worse ride, but

Quote Originally Posted by KR1STO View Post
    Yeah it drove like crap on the 22's. Kind of all over the road over bumps. It didn't feel good at all.
    The 22's didn't fit the front either. They fouled on the top ball joint, so couldn't bolt them on.
    Yeah... Il admit defeat.

Picked it up after work today, loving it already lol.

Actually pretty sprightly for a 5.0 considering the size of the big girl.

Did these get engine covers?

Already in discussions with Justin at tuffcarparts.com about a suitable spring/shock combo. At the moment its a bit like driving a prado.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast