Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Owners choice for car Battery?

Validated User

Question Owners choice for car Battery?

Well one of the GT's is up for a battery, "sure mate we can sell you a battery, what sort do you want?" We have, lead acid, gell cell, glass matt,spiral woven glass matt, calcium, blah blah. I am familiar, with gell cell we use them at work, apparently they protect the computers in the trucks, from memory loss while cranking the engines. Drawback is , they are extremely heavy.
    What do you guys use for a battery?

I use whatever the NRMA installs when I ring them.

All of my cars have NRMA batteries in them, and have had no problems starting.
    Deutschland, Deutschland über alles
    Volkswagen Number 3 - Passat Alltrack 130TDi

What memory loss is this meant to be. The programs on the control modules would be on the ROM chip so power loss isn't going to really effect them. The only thing you would lose is would be stuff on the ram that would have data for how you drive. But I think they have a temp power source in them that would hold the program during the cranking.

The cars would have battery monitors as well, hence sometimes the car will crank but won't start due to dropping below the programmed level.

Validated User
    Quote Originally Posted by VZTRT View Post
    What memory loss is this meant to be. The programs on the control modules would be on the ROM chip so power loss isn't going to really effect them. The only thing you would lose is would be stuff on the ram that would have data for how you drive. But I think they have a temp power source in them that would hold the program during the cranking.

The cars would have battery monitors as well, hence sometimes the car will crank but won't start due to dropping below the programmed level.
    MT 6300 electric drive trucks, we did a big update on the trucks as came they in for service. Out with the old, in with the gell cell's. General Atomic drive system (not without gliches).
    Cat Global are still trying to figure the system out.
    Mind you Cat Global issued the RH 400 with new programmes, which are not exactly a success!!!

Ah ok. Well I would assume there would be a massive draw from the diesel engines or there would be some sorta reason for using a battery that is normally used for power storage.

I wouldn't see a problem with the same or better CCA battery then what you have now in it.

Validated User
    Quote Originally Posted by VZTRT View Post
    Ah ok. Well I would assume there would be a massive draw from the diesel engines or there would be some sorta reason for using a battery that is normally used for power storage.

I wouldn't see a problem with the same or better CCA battery then what you have now in it.
    The trucks are fitted with MTU loco/marine engines V 20's, I still wonder how 2 starter motor's can turn them over!!!

Quote Originally Posted by project 064 View Post
    The trucks are fitted with MTU loco/marine engines V 20's, I still wonder how 2 starter motor's can turn them over!!!
    They would have plenty of torque and instant torque.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxton View Post
    I use whatever the NRMA installs when I ring them.

All of my cars have NRMA batteries in them, and have had no problems starting.
    Yep + 1 nowadays.
    When compared to long ago I'd get a battery replacement from my local parts shop but the insurnace companys sure have taken some of their business away.
    My last purchase for the T3 (pre trickle charger)was getting the latest and greatest from the nrma with the fancy glowing light green charge decending to black if no good - dead - kapoot !
    Going OTT nowadays with battery design, wonder what the greenies will do about this in the future
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Mine has the green going to black too
    I have never seen it green, only ever black
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

hehe I think your right Slow - my logical thinking is that green is GO - GOOD etc right, black is evil, gone no good.
    I know the last time I tried to start her she failed - so back on the trickle all ok. Got to check the battery model etc and find out if black is good ?!
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast