Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laser eye surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Randel View Post
    Can laser eye surgery be done for long and short sightedness or is it only short sighted?
    It can be done for Long and short sighted and astigmatism , but it really depends on your refractive error, as each individual is different, it also lies strongly on your cornea thickness as this is why in the early stages of Lasik surgery there were horror stories, you need a certain amount of cornea thickness to be eligible for the results to be forthcoming, there are a few places out there that will still do Lasik even if your corneas are thin but they are the ones that dont have your best interests at heart and only want the money so to speak, they are also the cause of all the negativity that we read about it.

There is a fair amount of testing that you go through to make sure that the end result is one that the customer will be happy with, well at least with the creditable places there is.

There's Lasik which is where they shave the cornea slightly and make a flap out of it and fold it over as to attain the eye and laser it with your prescription, then the flap is placed back over and all is done, evidently the eye heals with in a few hr's to a day or two, your vision is back straight away but over the next few days it improves to the point where you have 20/20 vision(again depending on your prescription), the flap is also unique with each individual as in some it will heal completely and others not so, but the fluid behind the flap holds the cornea in place.
    They say it takes a very hard hit or trauma for the flap to be dislodged , but this is the downside with Lasik and this is my main concern, although in my 41 years I've never had a big trauma to my eyes so touch wood.

But you can have corrective surgery afterwards if anything as such does happen.

Then there is PRK where they completely remove the epithelium via a slight incision, then they re shape your eye with the Laser and place a contact in there for a few days, then the epithelium grows back gradually, this contact is then removed in a few days and the healing process begins.

with PRK you are prone to more infections in the healing process as its more invasive but the eye is more stable when it comes to trauma as such, this is why all pilots and service men/women have to opt for PRK over Lasik if they go down this path.

It also takes anywhere from a few weeks to multiple weeks to heal.

Myself I am a good candidate for Lasik (and PRK), I was set on Lasik but now I am unsure as if I should opt for the PRK, I need to speak to the surgeon about it more but that won't be until the day of surgery next Friday so I need to make a decision soon enough.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to galaxy xr8 For This Useful Post:

Randel (7th December 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by FTe217 View Post
    Galaxy, my wife's eldest sister and hubby had laser done a few years ago.
    They love it !
    My bro inlaw lol's saying, even when he's in the coffin his eyes will still be watching haha.....

I shall be looking into doing this myself in due course - I only started wearing reading glass's a couple years ago.
    Friggin hate the things, being I travel a fair bit I either leave a pair on a flight, or in a car I'm a passenger in etcetc....
    I have spare pairs everywhere now.
    In every car, in the office, home, in my travel bags.
    Good luck, look forward to your comments after.

Thanks Maurie, did they have Lasik or PRK ?.

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
    It can be done for Long and short sighted and astigmatism , but it really depends on your refractive error, as each individual is different, it also lies strongly on your cornea thickness as this is why in the early stages of Lasik surgery there were horror stories, you need a certain amount of cornea thickness to be eligible for the results to be forthcoming, there are a few places out there that will still do Lasik even if your corneas are thin but they are the ones that dont have your best interests at heart and only want the money so to speak, they are also the cause of all the negativity that we read about it.

There is a fair amount of testing that you go through to make sure that the end result is one that the customer will be happy with, well at least with the creditable places there is.

There's Lasik which is where they shave the cornea slightly and make a flap out of it and fold it over as to attain the eye and laser it with your prescription, then the flap is placed back over and all is done, evidently the eye heals with in a few hr's to a day or two, your vision is back straight away but over the next few days it improves to the point where you have 20/20 vision(again depending on your prescription), the flap is also unique with each individual as in some it will heal completely and others not so, but the fluid behind the flap holds the cornea in place.
    They say it takes a very hard hit or trauma for the flap to be dislodged , but this is the downside with Lasik and this is my main concern, although in my 41 years I've never had a big trauma to my eyes so touch wood.

But you can have corrective surgery afterwards if anything as such does happen.

Then there is PRK where they completely remove the epithelium via a slight incision, then they re shape your eye with the Laser and place a contact in there for a few days, then the epithelium grows back gradually, this contact is then removed in a few days and the healing process begins.

with PRK you are prone to more infections in the healing process as its more invasive but the eye is more stable when it comes to trauma as such, this is why all pilots and service men/women have to opt for PRK over Lasik if they go down this path.

It also takes anywhere from a few weeks to multiple weeks to heal.

Myself I am a good candidate for Lasik (and PRK), I was set on Lasik but now I am unsure as if I should opt for the PRK, I need to speak to the surgeon about it more but that won't be until the day of surgery next Friday so I need to make a decision soon enough.
    Wow! So you have to make the final decision on the day? Tough call

Is there a big difference in cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Randel View Post
    Wow! So you have to make the final decision on the day? Tough call

Is there a big difference in cost?
    Cost is the same.

If I go ahead with the surgery on the day then yes I do have to choose between them, doing some more research tonight I am leaning towards Lasik, its straight forward and the healing process is not as invasive.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to galaxy xr8 For This Useful Post:

Randel (8th December 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
    Thanks Maurie, did they have Lasik or PRK ?.
    I'll find out over the weekend.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

galaxy xr8 (9th December 2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12