Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Sport passions......

Brazillian player Neymar just accepted a move from Barcalona to French team PSG.
    Will be getting something on $1M a week
    Like WTF good luck to him - but this is becoming ridiculous what some football clubs are willing to spend and PSG came 2nd in their league last season.
    Only the richest prosper near on every time - pretty lame in the big picture tbh.
    Just as Real Madrid Man United Man City Bayern Munich.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

It's just obscene the amount of money some sportsmen pull in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
    In the words of a wise man: if you don't read the papers you're uninformed, if you do read the papers you're misinformed.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to defective For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (5th August 2017),unroadworthy (24th August 2017)

HSE2's BDay must have had a good omen for my English team Liverpool.
    Finally qualified this morn for the biggest Club comp in the world Champs League.
    http://www.espnfc.com.au/uefa-champi...oup-stage-draw
    Only 32 clubs qualify for this big ticket ball game.
    Split into 4pots to play Group stages just as the World Cup.
    Seeded: Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Benfica, Chelsea, Shakhtar Donetsk, Monaco, Spartak Moscow

Pot 2: Barcelona, Atletico, Paris Saint-Germain, Borussia Dortmund, Sevilla, Man City, FC Porto, Man United

Pot 3: Napoli, Tottenham, FC Basel, Olympiakos, Anderlecht, Liverpool, Roma, Besiktas

Pot 4: Celtic, CSKA Moscow, Sporting CP, APOEL Nicosia, Feyenoord, NK Maribor, FK Qarabag, RB Leipzig

Obviously gain extra dollars just qualifying followed by full house's every game home then away.
    Next up is the games draw for each group to come.
    Its been 8 long years since we were in this last so its great to be back.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.

I don't play much sports these days but i was helping a mate with his junior rugby league side bring drinks out lol. I don't mind rugby league (probably because i was brought up around it) but i think myself the amount of money these guys get payed is ridiculous (any sport)

Agree unroadworthy.
    Dollars have ruined sports globally.
    Loyalty is out the window.
    Over here if comparing to other sports elsewhere I reckon our prima donnas as are many others abroad are paid more when you think that they in (NRL/ARU/GAYFL/HAL etc) only play 1 comp game per week.
    So you figure the dollars their on, train during the week, some PR duties for some, others nothing at all their on a great wicket !
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by FTe217 View Post
    Agree unroadworthy.
    Dollars have ruined sports globally.
    Loyalty is out the window.
    Over here if comparing to other sports elsewhere I reckon our prima donnas as are many others abroad are paid more when you think that they in (NRL/ARU/GAYFL/HAL etc) only play 1 comp game per week.
    So you figure the dollars their on, train during the week, some PR duties for some, others nothing at all their on a great wicket !
    Yep, tell me about it.

We will never go back to the days when ARL players also did the Garbo run and threw your pre-wheely bins into the back of the truck or throw Beer kegs into cellars, but to get paid $800,000 a year to play 80 minutes of football a week and train a few hours is just so out of touch with the real world. No wonder they are covered with tattoos...

The Cricketers act earlier this month was a farce. You are the national team - you should be proud to wear that baggy green, not more interested in getting more money. Warner is not that great any more and gets paid more in a year than some barristers and financial gurus.
    I'm in love with my car. Got a feel for my automobile.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Paxton For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (25th August 2017)

Money has ruined so many sports
    Not just what the players get paid, but what the average punter needs to fork out to watch it

In days gone by, the average family could go to sport, get some of the best viewing positions, didn't cost an arm and a leg, and it was a good day
    Then the promoter of the sport got greedy, they wanted more money from the venues, so they had to put their prices up
    Then wait, we can put corporate boxes in the best viewing spots and make even more money, Now the majority of people that going to these boxes, have no interest in the sport, there for the food / grog and to say they were there
    Most would be lucky to watch 10% of the game / race / whatever.
    Business end of town starts to take a hit, corporate sales down by at at least 50% but these prime areas are left vacant, rather than let the minions watch from there
    Then there is TV, all of a sudden sport is being decided by what suits TV
    F*#k me
    Its all about greed

Now as for the players, days gone by, they couldnt survive on just playing football, so they all had jobs
    These days hey get paid heaps, no need to work, but that leaves them with so much time, they get bored
    Thats why (I think) that so many get in strife with drinks / drugs/ gambling

As for the cricketing prima donnas, I have lost all respect, these guys play what 6 or 8 5 day games a year, plus 10 one dayers
    And they need more money,
    Piss off, I have just lost interest in cricket. Their self interest over the best interests of the game

Sorry, Rant over
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TS50 For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (25th August 2017),Paxton (25th August 2017)

here here fellas.
    Look, time moves forward we all accept that, no more part timers all full timers pros, sure its better ? BUT.......
    As mentioned the costs for tickets etc is a bloody rort - why, yes cabletv runs it all.
    To have these whinging players, cricket or otherwise, I don't blame them wishing more of the pie for the Ivory towers are the greediest as well so feck them as well.
    They should be making sure its more affordable for the punter for without us their cream is gone !
    Were going through a huge turmoil re Lowys how they run the HAL.
    This is about to blow by Nov. Its screwing up Youth football, well it has already actually and current all for the sake of Lowy's more so than the Aleague club owners keeping control and the money pot !
    Cricket - I'm with you I've lost it.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.

Re the ALeague saga, you see these clubs are Franchised.
    I can understand their POV being private ownership but over the 10yrs it has very much stifled Youth development in many ways.
    1. all these clubs up to lately never had Youth Teams and or development - only 3-4 of them have recently started Youth academies/teams....
    Dad Lowy, due to his dollars being involved in the previous realm known as NSL got annoyed not getting his ways way back then hence packed up his Sydney club, alienated all the other NSL clubs in every State started the ALeague.
    The smoke was on the base's of non Ethnic clubs.
    Its been 10yrs of mayhem below the ALeague, for AL clubs poach the best Youth and there is hardly a transfer fee to the club that nurtured them for x years for starters.
    Then that the ol clubs are noted as 2nd fiddle where once in the top comp but treated as a poor No2.
    This comes down to dollars as noted above as well......
    HAL brings in good return to FFA/Lowy, sponsers money is not too bad, millionaire club owners cuts, Fox dollars, then the highest participation sport in the country, also 7% or something close of each and every registration goes to FFA/Lowy as well.
    The ivory tower is as usual plush, Lowy/Gallop and the croners get paid very well and yet the old long time clubs get feck all and worse Grass roots doesn't see enough which is the worst case scenario of it all.
    The other melting point is some of these long established clubs keep making proposals on enetering the ALeague but keep getting knocked back.
    The other problem with ALeague its stagmenting - All clubs are assured playing in the top level whereas Football all over the world had Promotion and Relegation.
    Our game thrives on promo relegation - thats what clubs strive for playing in the top league, also helps talented Youth players playing 1st grade if capable.
    Right now the ALeague model suits these clubs buying good players OS at the end of their careers - this is good for ticket sales but not good for the local talented Youth for the owners don't want to risk due to making Finals and good bonus's.
    So the PL State Federations, the Players Association etc have been up in arms for years so its gone all the way to the big monster FIFA.
    They have told Lowy to clean up the mess or Out.
    FIFA Reps came out just a few weeks ago to mediate a change and there had finally been an agreement made but Lowy pulls up twice in discussions for emergency meetings with State bodies whilst keeping these FIFA Reps waiting in the board room to work things better so as he can retain more power.
    FIFA left, things up in the air but said, you got till Nov.
    So now the mice below Lowy are working to run him out of town.
    I hope they succeed.
    Sorry small rant long long storey cut short.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

TS50 (26th August 2017)

And then there's the absolute dogs breakfast that is the Australian rugby union...

I just cannot work out their plan for furthering the game here, it's all about the here and now.
    Well, the here and now is rooted because too many highly paid executives have given themselves all the assets and left grassroots to wither and die.
    So their response is to cut the one super rugby team that actually had positive growth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
    In the words of a wise man: if you don't read the papers you're uninformed, if you do read the papers you're misinformed.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to defective For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (25th August 2017)

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast