Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Sport passions......

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Your Sport passions......

Being such a mixed community here on the forums I'm sure we have people who are really active - or follow and involved in their kids sports - or attend their favoured sport barracking them on - armchair critics ? sure we are all experts post away.

My passion is the Real Football - coming from Nth Italian parents the round ball was thrown in my cot then family picnics ended up kicking the ball around, those days you wouldn't have dreamed of any other shape of ball.
    Pop registered me into our local club at 5yrs and to this day I just can't get enough of it.
    Fortunate enough to have had some skill and having played Div1 since my teens in Championship winning teams then onto Reps/Prem League have had a great time and made life long friends importantly much like our car community.
    Marriage came along at 30yrs and as you do your whole life gets changed due to kids/house/renos and I reluctantly retired for 10yrs !!
    At 40 after getting my balls back I told the boss thats it I'm going back to play - many of my fellow football mates had kept playing but now in the vet stage of O35/Div1 - whooohooo back to having a great time having fun on the pitch, win some lose some and importantly enjoying the beer at the end and the storeys grow taller by the minute going over phase's of the game LOL....during this time I suffered a ruptured achilles tendon, if you haven't exprienced this you don't wish to trust me, went under the knife within a week - rehab missing the entire season BUT back on the park the following season, Div1 has many excellent players (even ex socceroos in my comp) and agressive at the same time especially at park football where the reffing isn't as scrutinised as the pro leagues so injuries are a given, next head clash split my bald head open as did he, 8stiches, next last game before playoffs slide tackle dislocate shoulder held off op to date. Each call to my wife from the emergency room is not like having a beer after the game, don't know why she keeps telling me to retire !
    At 48 I had to step down from Div1 playing against these whipper snapper 35+ up starts LOL and demoted myself to play with a club locally where we moved to after 37yrs with my previous club !
    Div7 - dragged a couple of mates over to bolster the team won the comp LOL - went to Div5 last season bit out of the depth for some of the players just missed out on play offs.
    So now at 52 I am stepping down again to O45Div1 Geriatric league at its finest - far out sounds old fhuck I am getting foolish and old my wife can't wait for the day I hang up the boots !
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

Falc'man (20th June 2013)

Part of the reason getting back into the game was influencing my 1st son now 20 - naturally it did and now he's a pretty fair player and just love going to his games, have coached his squads through teen years and really enjoy the guys having a go and watching the training drills pay off during games.
    He's not as passionate as I was but just thankful it keeps him active and so far not many injuries.
    My No2 at 12 is a chip off the ol block, lives and breaths it, gets up for 4am live games be it EPL/LaLiga/CL etcetc, I have always kicked with the boys and due to No2 being far more passionate have spent much time with him on the ball and started playing Div1 last season with additional coaching added, good luck to the little fella anything can happen.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

My sport has always been shooting although I did compete in MotoX and flat track back in the day. I have been a bit slack in the last few years but getting back into it now.
    A velocitatem terram

Google-Fu, the ancient snowflake art of knowing little, understanding less but believing anything they find on Google as the word of God.

Quote Originally Posted by F6 View Post
    My sport has always been shooting although I did compete in MotoX and flat track back in the day. I have been a bit slack in the last few years but getting back into it now.
    My main sport has been for many years also shooting. I did used to play football (Rugby League) but gave it away when it started to interfere with work and once raced motorcycles, mostly enduro which again I stopped when it interfered with work.
    A velocitatem terram

Google-Fu, the ancient snowflake art of knowing little, understanding less but believing anything they find on Google as the word of God.

Champions 2012 !
    and what a GF it was - kudos to our opposition getting themselves from 4th place into the GF but I'm afraid this costed them dearly suffering injuires to 2 key players who still tried to play but the way we were ready for this game I doubt the scoreline would have changed.
    Our guys even though also some carrying injuries you could tell at warm up we were ready for battle - we dominated the entire 90mins banking a 5-1 scoreline also should have added a few more goals if it weren't for the woodwork (hang on afl give you 1point for being off target phhhhft ffs ).........
    Celebrations a plenty that went on into the night at our sponsers local establishment ! Damn those ales tasted Great !
    Thats it I'm hanging the boots up - got my medal, had a great season when on the pitch having suffered some injuries and banked 9goals to the teams tally.
    Now to spend more time directing the 2boys from next season and the wife seeing more of me < I'm not sure how this will pan out LOL.....
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.

Congrat's mate, well done.

I have been a little off my strength training of late, 1'stly I done damage to my LHS shoulder (Rotator cuff) this was done back in late Jan and it is still effecting me today, then 2 week's ago I fractured my thumb (as you do), but it will heal my main concern is this damn shoulder, they say a injection into the joint to releive it will help but I am not to keen on that, I have been doing my own physio which some day's is good but other's not so.
    I think I am just to getting to old for this heavy shit now.

Well done Maurie that's a great effort. You're a funny man.

Galaxy, had the cuff problem for a couple of years and its strictly light weights here, and it feels pretty good at the moment. Now need to fix my right shoulder
    “…The lies (Western slander) which well-meaning zeal has heaped round this man are disgraceful to ourselves only…How one man single-handedly, could weld warring tribes and wandering Bedouins into a most powerful and civilized nation in less than two decades….A silent great soul, one of that who cannot but be earnest. He was to kindle the world; the world’s Maker had ordered so." - Thomas Carlyle

Hey can relate to the MX/SX F6 - you got to get back into it, this is the thing you tend to get trapped into work or wife/families etc that slowly pushs away your passions which is understandable but the passions especially sport is great for the mind/body especially as you get older its gets harder to get back on the wheel.
    My wife I can understand gets upset over the years for I have had many passions, one above was yours dirt bikes.
    My brother and I got CR125's back in the day of the first 2strokes, gawd I love that smell, we went riding plenty but he took it on far more and became a top private (not pro) rider - he went onto managing Team Honda for some 10-12yrs and his prodigy was Glen Bell if anyone knows of his riding career, Oz MX/SX Champion many times over - still a good mate of ours. Bro is in MA (Motorcycling Australia) and still very close ties with Honda to this day which we leverage getting to PI motogp/Supercross's etcetc. He's going on a 2wk ride for his 50th from Cairns to the centre with about 8 dirt bike industry friends incl Bell would be a hoot !
    CRF400's are the choice today mad machines those 4stokers who would have ever thought this back in our younger days !!
    Yer get back on the bike great fun especially for the fitness.
    Shooting eh - being a city slicker never had the pleasure though some down here use them for the wrong game !
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

Well my main sport/passion is Basketball, ive been involved since i was 10, and of coarse GYM, but I've participated in a hell of allot of other sports competitively over the years including Aussie Rules, Cricket, Bodybuilding, Karate, Boxing, Motorcross and Wakeboarding.

Most of those i no longer do, but Basketball and Gym still are my main passions!
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Strength training/power lifting is my mine focus, I train by myself as I like it that way (I'm a loner) but I have a few mates that I can thank for alot of my progress and sucess, one of which (mad man Jason Coulson) has won numourous tittles in the National Australian Drug Free Power Lifting Championship's and he himself was trained by a well respected power lifter in the bussiness (John Clow), I really enjoy lifting weight's and have gained so much from it, it is a pleasure time for me when I lock myself in my room and train.

My other sport is BJJ (Brazilian Jiu Jitzu), a good mate of mine is a master in this feild and has been all over the world competing, in fact he was coached and trained by the founder's of the UFC, he is a great bloke and one of the nicest people you will ever meet, here is a little article about his sucessfull carear.

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/...px?storypage=1
    Last edited by galaxy xr8; 8th February 2012 at 12:58 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast