Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Sport passions......

Congrat's mate, well done.

I have been a little off my strength training of late, 1'stly I done damage to my LHS shoulder (Rotator cuff) this was done back in late Jan and it is still effecting me today, then 2 week's ago I fractured my thumb (as you do), but it will heal my main concern is this damn shoulder, they say a injection into the joint to releive it will help but I am not to keen on that, I have been doing my own physio which some day's is good but other's not so.
    I think I am just to getting to old for this heavy shit now.

Well done Maurie that's a great effort. You're a funny man.

Galaxy, had the cuff problem for a couple of years and its strictly light weights here, and it feels pretty good at the moment. Now need to fix my right shoulder
    “…The lies (Western slander) which well-meaning zeal has heaped round this man are disgraceful to ourselves only…How one man single-handedly, could weld warring tribes and wandering Bedouins into a most powerful and civilized nation in less than two decades….A silent great soul, one of that who cannot but be earnest. He was to kindle the world; the world’s Maker had ordered so." - Thomas Carlyle

Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post

Galaxy, had the cuff problem for a couple of years and its strictly light weights here, and it feels pretty good at the moment. Now need to fix my right shoulder
    I'm not liking what I am hearing from many people, they all say it will hinder and niggle away now, I did it while doing bench and like I say it was back in Jan, I did stop and only recently did light bench but I still feel it every time I unrack the bar.
    I have been doing all types of different physio exercises to relieve it but nothing seem's to work to totally rid it.

Wow, some of the responses have surprised me, especially those into power lifting and body building. Well done. I wouldn't describe myself as sports mad at all. I'm a shame to the Australian bloke community! I have my own gym set up in my house and use it everyday. I've been doing gym work now since I was a teenager and it's just part of my daily routine. It's not a sporting passion however, it more just driven by my desire to remain reasonably fit, strong and heathly. Outside of this I have been known to get pretty passionate about the V8 supercars. I'm not a fanatic however but could easily become one if my lifestyle permitted it. ..Lol.

Power lifting/strength training has only just become a sport for me in the past 5 yr's, before that I was alway's into gym but more body building stuff, as a teenager I was like most young boy's getting caught up in the hype and believing all the stuff that I was told or read....How wrong was I now that I look back on it.

I was always a skinny frame at 6ft 1 tall and weight around 65-69kg but I still did all the ussual bicep curls/leg curls etc etc...
    waste of time I soon found out. Don't get me wrong they have their place but no Isolation exercise is as advanced and helpfull as a compound full body exercise.

Then when I started my new job around 9 yr's ago I meet a bloke that was competing and had done in the Aus Drug Free Power Lifting tittles, he was also trained by a person very well known in the scene ( John Clow, he and his wife are the co-founder's of Fernwood Gym's) anyway I got to know him and eventually went around to his house to train with him and a few other's. I learn't so much about the whole power lifting thing from then on and to this day I am still learning, it's all good fun untill you do an injury but that was my fault and I know how and why I did it, there is so much to lifting correctly and I must emphasis to anyone that this is the upmost importance, some people will just lie down and bench and you see so many mistakes in their form, but in saying that some people just can not get it no matter how many times you show them and tell them.

I have learn't so many little techniques to improve my bench alone that just this week after getting back into it since Jan with my injured shoulder, I benched 105kg straight up with a broken thumb,lol... I actually surprised myself as I didn't think I would get near that weight for a little while just yet not having done bench for a while.

But also in saying what I have about technique each and every person lift's differently, how my mate lift's is slightly different to how I lift in certain lift's, he likes to be in nice and close and tight and I like to be out a little wider, when talking about Squat's, probably becuase he is a smaller frame at 5'10 and me at 6'1.

But it is fun and I enjoy it, my other hobby which is not so much a sport is nutrition, learning all about the human body and they way nutrition affect's us, My wife got me into this a little as she has certain food allergies but I also find it interseting in my gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post

haha Youssef I presume your comment was directed to more time with the wife ?! don't get me wrong I'm a happy married fella touch wood but after 21yrs I'm sure she has enjoyed her own time over manymany Saturdays and now with my pending retirement will mean her space will be filled with me around LOL....will she enjoy this or will she hope I come out of retirement when the time comes round next winter - watch this space haha

Talking about shoulders - have been holding off an op on my right one after she popping out during a game some 4seasons back, kept playing came out 3more times and I couldn't get it back into place < hurt is an understatement, need about 5-6 staples to hold ligaments etc back into place, and talking about bench press etc wants me to get back into it myself after going through that phase long ago as galaxy mentioned.
    I have said to my 19yr old I'll buy a bench etc for the garage and lets get into it - we put him into HunMunDo long ago and he got to brown then gave it away the silly bugga but now he's into UFC and I say lets work out and he get back to self defense - he's sloid and stocky but needs to get "cut" I'm hoping he goes forward with this but NOT tournament fighting too brutal for me and worse still if I had to see my own son doing it ! his Mum would have kittens and protest forever haha but I wouldn't blame her.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

My 20yr old started up Brazillian Jiu Jitsu a month or so back - glad he's got inspired having dropped Karate some 6yrs ago.
    He has the workout bug now which makes me happy for I have siad for years I'll buy a bench press etc for the garage and we work out, I have been wanting to get back doing some weights for years but not had the motivation, need a partner to inspire me so out on the hunt for good second hand gym gear over the next week or 2.

Between my business travel etcetc I have been trying to squeeze in my golf fetish the last 6mths or so - have been able to hit some balls during business trips to kill time in turn has me tuned better than expected. Came back from my last trip and smacked a great consistant game the other week getting 3rd in C grade, HC down to gentlemen 18, can't ask for more than that for to get much better is to spend more time on the game that I don't have
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Motor racing (most forms) and cricket for me. Only sports that don't bore me or are full of premadonnas. Mind you I don't mind a bit of union as it can be quite entertaining.

My history centres around cycling since I commenced road racing at age 12 and ended up a very accomplished juvenile in WA. I always had big plans for the sport and put in a lot of work towards those plans resulting in my club having very high hopes for me. Unfortunately at age 16 I was hit by a car and received multiple injuries which put me off the bike. Then as happens, life, work and girls got in the way.

I got back on the bike after my initial training in the Army but the Army life of deployments and training is not conducive to high level competitive sport. Having said that, I started road racing again and worked my way back up to A grade as well as taking out the club time trial championship.

I then switched to triathlon as this fitted in with the need for good overall fitness required in the army, cycling was too leg specific. I started on sprint distance but quickly got bored of these so the distances increased as I worked onto Olympic, half ironman and then ironman events.

This all culminated in 2001-2003 that resulted in winning my state age group championship, state half ironman championship and defence championship in ironman triathlon. I have competed in two ironman triathlons (3.8km swim, 180km bike and 42.2km run) with a best time of 9 hrs 52 mins.

I no longer compete as shift work and family make this virtually impossible but I do still get out on the bike whenever I can. I don't really follow triathlon as I believe it has lost it's way in the ITU races but I still follow cycling with passion, it was always about the bike for me.

As for football, the only code I am interested in is soccer and I could not care less about cricket, like watching paint dry.

I watch just about any form of Motorsport and always wish I had the funds behind me to give it a go but living expenses with a teenage daughter going through private schooling and a recent separation make this nothing more than a dream.

One day when the distractions slow down the intention is to get back into club level road racing, back on the bike where I belong.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!

very impressive lynton. i got worn out just reading that

having only just recently bought a bike (as you know) i've found it is a very addictive sport. i love it, although i think i'll just stick to commuting/social riding with the odd event thrown in for now.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast