Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 4X4 Babbling.......

Quote Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
    The brother has just about completed his project: and 80 series Land Cruiser.
    The poor bloody thing was an NA Diesel, five speed. He has a habbit of towing a 26 1/2 foot van of immence proportions all over the country side.
    The poor bloody Tojo was reduced to 2nd gear low range up the Toowoomba range with the van on the back. He was unimpressed with this so decided to do something about it. The Tojo having had a lot of mods already, he would not give it up, soooo, he shoved in a 6.5L V8 Chev Durateck Diesel with a 2.7 liter Harrop blower on top.
    This brute has a 4 speed Allison Auto stacked on the back. The box is computer controlled and has a deal of input available to the driver including the ability to lock up the torque convertor anytime. All three diffs can be locked or unlocked together or any one or two independent of the other/s. Diff ratios were raised commensurate with increased performance too. Other than that its got sump oil coolers, trans coolers, extractors and a 4 inch system and a mandrel bent stainless steel snort feeding air to the Chev.
    It went on the 4X4 Dyno at Chip Torque last week and the pump will be tweeked slightly to feed in some more fuel for loads.
    Thing goes hard too!
    Those of you who attended the 4X4 Tinnie and Tackle Show at RNA Brisbane this year would have seen the 'Beast' on display there.
    (Sadly its not a patch on the RTV).
    My GMC Sierra had that 6.5L Detroit Diesel V8 under the hood but it was turboed not blown

Detroit's sound the best out of the diesels IMO

Its a common swap into Land Cruiser because its light weight for its size, its only about 350KG I think.

This was the beast in mine lol:

2x Alternators
    2x AC compressors
    3x batteries

Mine was electronic injection though, rather than mechanical like your brothers one would most likely be, I'm guessing Stanadyne DB4 injection pump.

Be careful because they have a tendancy to blow head gaskets, the blocks also go porous if run hot all the time and they tend to snap the bolts for the starter motor, they need a really good cooling system and maintain the thing.
    Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 22nd July 2014 at 09:24 PM.

I so want to fit a 6v53 to a F350 4x4 with jake brake and just hang laps..!

My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

Burnout (23rd July 2014),Elks (22nd July 2014),Franco Cozzo (22nd July 2014),FTe217 (22nd July 2014)

Booyah! Theres a few 4V53T swaps into 3500/F350s on the 4btswaps forums, 4L 4 cylinder 2 stroke diesel lol.

When I was a kid a neighbour used to haul crushed rock from a quarry with an old Diamond Rio 6 x 4 tipper with a 8V71 and my god that thing could scream... They were a scary looking truck at the best of times but having one follow you at full noise put the willies up us as kids.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

Franco Cozzo (22nd July 2014)

8V71 are cool, as are 8V92 or the rare but even cooler 12V71.

But that sound from a 6V53 sounds the biz. In a slammed f350 dualie twin cab, just for laughs.
    As a Pink Floyd fan I get mad when I see vegans eating pudding.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elks For This Useful Post:

4Vman (23rd July 2014),Franco Cozzo (22nd July 2014)

Yeah, the 6V's and 8V's were known as 'Oil Sprayers' and it was bloody true too.
    The brothers is a mechanical fuel pump, he wanted to keep it simple for outback maintenance.
    This is the one:

And in the Tojo:

Bonnet showing intake:

BAII RTV A Farmers Rocket.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burnout For This Useful Post:

Franco Cozzo (23rd July 2014),FTe217 (23rd July 2014)

Far out - that must sound mad !
    Is his snorkel exhaust pipe ? what design buldge that come from ? like the twin gills.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Awesome, its pretty much unheard of in the USA to use chargers on these engines, Australia is leading the way with that, everyone in the USA was fitting different turbos as they're too small from factory, once you go over 2000 RPM the factory turbo starts strangling the engine, it drops to around 25% efficiency, they're also non intercooled which I thought was a very pox idea.

I have a Holset HE351VE turbo in my garage that was meant for my rig, had it machined, rebuilt and exhaust housing ceramic coated.

The only problem is that there isn't too much R&D happening on these things out of the USA as not many people put effort into improving these things, they just ditch the 6.5 for other engines/vehicles, everyone goes Dodge RAM or F350.

Theres unlimited information out there for the Cummins 6BT or 7.3L Powerstroke, 6.5L, pretty much nothing except for Bill Heath and Diesel Place forums and some stuff here in Australia but its more to do with charged rather than turbo setups.

Quote Originally Posted by FTe217 View Post
    Far out - that must sound mad !
    Is his snorkel exhaust pipe ? what design buldge that come from ? like the twin gills.
    Sounds pretty radical, even at idle. He took the thing to 'Munchies' at Acacia Ridge last week and it drew a crowd.
    The snort is mandril bent 3 inch stainless. The bonet is one of those Blitz units in glass.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Burnout For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (24th July 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
    Awesome, its pretty much unheard of in the USA to use chargers on these engines, Australia is leading the way with that, everyone in the USA was fitting different turbos as they're too small from factory, once you go over 2000 RPM the factory turbo starts strangling the engine, it drops to around 25% efficiency, they're also non intercooled which I thought was a very pox idea.

I have a Holset HE351VE turbo in my garage that was meant for my rig, had it machined, rebuilt and exhaust housing ceramic coated.

The only problem is that there isn't too much R&D happening on these things out of the USA as not many people put effort into improving these things, they just ditch the 6.5 for other engines/vehicles, everyone goes Dodge RAM or F350.

Theres unlimited information out there for the Cummins 6BT or 7.3L Powerstroke, 6.5L, pretty much nothing except for Bill Heath and Diesel Place forums and some stuff here in Australia but its more to do with charged rather than turbo setups.
    Yeah, turbos are plenty here too, but he wanted power/torque off the line and went the charger instead. As a matter of fact that charger is coming off, he reckons its too small, he's getting a BIGER one and gunna run 15psi, and WTA, instead of the tiny 9psi he's running now.
    The donk has been built to cop up to 35psi.
    I took it for a skid some time ago and it had a roof rack, tent and crap up there and a whole bunch of shyte in the back too. It was impressive off the line.

He's a rather reserved sort of bloke and the crowds the thing drew at Munchies brought the old bloke out a bit. Quite funny!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Burnout For This Useful Post:

Franco Cozzo (24th July 2014)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast