Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre review: Nexen N8000

Tyre review: Nexen N8000

I'm a big fan of sharing experiences and reviews on tyres, to be honest I haven't spoken to a tyre mob yet than can convince me they really know what they're talking about when it comes to recommending tyres, quite sad really.

The VF was fitted with 19" SSV wheels and Nexen N8000 tyres when I bought it, initially I was concerned only because the XR6 had N5000's which were diabolical in the wet but lasted 95000 k's before I replaced them!

So I was a bit dubious.

Well what a contrast, described by the manufacturer as an "Ultra High Performance Tyre" from day 1 these things are sensational, id go as far as to say as good a tyre as i've ever used, look very similar in tread to continentals, very large deep channels and asymmetrical tread pattern.
    Dry or wet they really do hang on, minor noise, but the really pleasing things is they really hang on in the wet.
    I'm not sure how they'll last given i've only done 6000ks and have a tread rating of 280 but so far still look new.

I'm pretty confident they'd fare very well on higher powered cars too.

Rating out of 10 in 4 key categories:

Noise 7/10
    Dry Grip 7.5/10
    Wet Grip 7.5/10
    Wear N/A

http://www.nexentireusa.com/tires/hi...formance/n8000

Nexen_n8000.jpg
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Good topic Norm as I am soon to replace the Dunlop's on my XR8, I had the original 9000s till 33,000klms and then replaced them with Dunlop 3000A, now sitting on 65,000klm's and will need a new set with in the next 10,000 or so I believe, I am not very impressed with the 3000A's in the wet, I feel they are as you say diabolical in the wet, I don't feel safe on them at all.

So any suggestions on a good wet weather all round tyre would be good to hear before I purchase a set, cheer's.

9000's were good for every day driving but wore quickly, ive had 3 sets on XR8's. Id rate the N8000's a slightly better tyre for grip than the 9000's.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

You got 95,000 km from the tyres on your XR6 ????

No wonder there is a big contrast..lol. I have not got more than 30,000 on my XR6T. The car just clocked over 80,000 and is one it's third new set of rubber. The first set was the Dunlop Sports Maxx 19". The second were KUMHO R31 or something like that. The best tyres yet have been these cheap Korean things I have on it now. Quiet, work well in wet and dry conditions and handle ok to.
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.
    Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

4Vman (9th April 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by WASP View Post
    You got 95,000 km from the tyres on your XR6 ????

No wonder there is a big contrast..lol. I have not got more than 30,000 on my XR6T. The car just clocked over 80,000 and is one it's third new set of rubber. The first set was the Dunlop Sports Maxx 19". The second were KUMHO R31 or something like that. The best tyres yet have been these cheap Korean things I have on it now. Quiet, work well in wet and dry conditions and handle ok to.
    They were feaking concrete, id swear sparks would come off them if I did a burnout, was awful in the wet to the point where I wouldn't let the wife drive it. I knew their limits so I could drive around them, dry were fine, But mileage was excellent! LOL

I have had Dunlop 9000's on 3 cars, crap on all of them, couldn't wait to get rid of them, noisy, tram tracking, once 10000km of wear, shit in the wet
    Also have has SPorts max 3000, also crap
    Used Falken 452's so quiet in comparison, wet road traction so much better, ear improved by 5000 km, and tyres half the price of the Dunlops
    Now on Falke 453's, I like them too, good feedback thru the steering, good wet road holding
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TS50 For This Useful Post:

MisterAU (1st September 2014)

I know what people are saying about the Dunlop's, I was coming home from Melbourne on the Calder one late evening and a storm had struck half way and it was raining fairly constant, I slowed down to around 70 as it was the only speed I could do that I felt safe, I could feel the car aqua planing and it was just down right dangerous, and what made it worse was car's were passing me easily as if I was standing still, and one was a '80's Laser hatch, oh the humiliation, lol. seriously though the Dunlop's are not very driver confident in the wet.

Driven by BOOST
    My dad is running the Nexen N8000 on his G6E Turbo in 245/35/19 size and rates them quite highly compared to other tyres he's had on his cars over the years, especially for the price. He's done just on 25000kms on them and they have around 50% tread left.

The only slight mark against them is they are getting slightly noisy as they get down in tread and that they are abit "skinny" in the bag width compared to say a yokohama (like i'm running on my F6).
    Looking at his car from behind the tyres don't look like 245's and with a wheel off of his car and laid on the ground side by side with a rim off my F6 the Nexens are about 15mm narrower. In reality though this isn't of much an issue.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Red F6310 For This Useful Post:

4Vman (9th April 2014)

The SSV rims are 8 1/2 inch so the 245's sit slightly wider in the 40 series tyres.

What do people think about the Goodyear eagle tyres, either,
    eagle F1 asymmetric 2,
    eagle F1 directional 5,

Any reviews on them.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast