Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Low oil pressure

  1. #1
    Just Arrived
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17

    Low oil pressure

    Lately, post service, whenever I put the boot in my oil pressure gauge goes below halfway. Any ideas what might be causing this? The oil is 15Wsomething. Is this cause for concern or would it be due to the heat from friction thinning out the oil.

    And by "put the boot in" I mean shifting before redline in 1,2 and usually half way through 3rd depending on conditions.

  2. #2
    7753 - 5030 HSE2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,849
    I have a au xr8 and it's only recently the oil pressure gauge has started to move around at all.

    Is your engine using oil?

    Is the engine showing a higher pressure when cold over hot at idle?
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

  3. #3
    a.k.a. T3man MisterAU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Batemans Bay, New South Wales, Australia
    Posts
    1,353
    Check your oil level - sounds like it may be low. Oil pressure will not drop at high revs unless there is surge or low oil.
    Australian Muscle Car ... "It is a sensational high performance vehicle; a beautifully engineered and immensely capable four door Grand Tourer or 'GT' in the truest sense of that tradition."

    No prize for guessing what car they were referring to ... OWN THE ROAD ...

  4. #4
    Miami Sprint. 4Vman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    18,966
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterAU View Post
    Check your oil level - sounds like it may be low. Oil pressure will not drop at high revs unless there is surge or low oil.
    Or... being an older engine with lose tolerances a lower viscosity oil may show a drop in oil pressure when hot or revved, you may need to increase the oil viscosity to compensate for the age of the engine..
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

  5. #5
    Just Arrived
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by HSE2 View Post
    I have a au xr8 and it's only recently the oil pressure gauge has started to move around at all.

    Is your engine using oil?

    Is the engine showing a higher pressure when cold over hot at idle?
    Same pressure for hot and cold idle

  6. #6
    Just Arrived
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    Or... being an older engine with lose tolerances a lower viscosity oil may show a drop in oil pressure when hot or revved, you may need to increase the oil viscosity to compensate for the age of the engine..
    I was think it had something to do with the age of the engine and viscosity, yea. What do you guys recommend for oil? 20w or higher?

  7. #7
    Miami Sprint. 4Vman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    18,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Xr8au1 View Post
    I was think it had something to do with the age of the engine and viscosity, yea. What do you guys recommend for oil? 20w or higher?
    Maybe 20w 40 or 50? Talk to a Shell or Castrol tech (advice hot line) and tell them your issues and mileage and get them to recommend an oil.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

  8. #8
    Validated User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia, Australia
    Posts
    2,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Xr8au1 View Post
    I was think it had something to do with the age of the engine and viscosity, yea. What do you guys recommend for oil? 20w or higher?
    That depends on where you live, cold ambient temperature during winter?
    I use Penrite 15w 50, winters are reasonable here in Perth, took the car to Bathurst last year, -4 degrees C, it was very slow at cranking, oil pressure did not move of full pressure all day!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •