Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: FPV GTF 351: The Last Falcon GT Arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
    Formula is Nm x RPM / 9551 = kW

570Nm @ 2500rpm = 149kW.
    570Nm @ 5500rpm = 328kW.

If we work back from 6000rpm and 351kW then we rearrange the formula, kW x 9551 / RPM...

351 x 9551 / 6000 = 558Nm.

They've maintained the peak torque figure up to 5500rpm resulting in 328kW up to those (5500) revs, and, slightly lifted it, by way of a little more boost, to 558Nm @ 6000rpm.

Example. If I maintain the torque of 570Nm to 7000rpm...

570 x 7000 / 9551 = 418kW. So, I haven't increased the peak torque but by virtue of the effect of torque at differing rpm I'm able to lift the power.
    There you have it, "overboost" KW explained.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    There you have it, "overboost" KW explained.
    Not exactly. I think overboost is when the bypass valve is fully shut off and the boost is no longer regulated to give a controlled amount of boost. The transient overboost is the 404/413/420kW figure. That changes everything including the torque values. What this means is the peak torque, like the peak power, does in fact change. It wouldn't change if the transient overboost function allows the engine to rev to 7000rpm with max boost - we simply can't guess how the change in torque curve, or how the boost comes on, with the overboost.

If overboost of 413kW is at 6000rpm then peak torque is...

413 x 9551 / 6000 = 657Nm.

But I'm only guessing the revs of where that "413kW" peaks.

@JoshuaDowling: After half a dozen laps of Ford's high speed test track and two dozen tries, the test driver's best 0-100kmh: 4.9 sec
    Yeah, see what other crap he is posting?

Don't believe the hype. Ford says GT-F V8 can eclipse 400kW on "transient overboost". On the same basis HSV's GTS can do in excess of 500kW!

I hope Ian had introduced himself to Joshua
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

Not exactly. I think overboost is when the bypass valve is fully shut off and the boost is no longer regulated to give a controlled amount of boost. The transient overboost is the 404/413/420kW figure. That changes everything including the torque values. What this means is the peak torque, like the peak power, does in fact change. It wouldn't change if the transient overboost function allows the engine to rev to 7000rpm with max boost - we simply can't guess how the change in torque curve, or how the boost comes on, with the overboost.

If overboost of 413kW is at 6000rpm then peak torque is...

413 x 9551 / 6000 = 657Nm.

But I'm only guessing the revs of where that "413kW" peaks.
    Absolutely, as i've explained a few times now "overboost" is effectively Full Boost with the bypass shut. You can't create more boost on a driven blower system unless you can change the pulley ratio.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

Elks (10th June 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by TS50 View Post
    I hope Ian had introduced himself to Joshua
    I believe the phrase "with-strained " may have been used.

Validated User
    Quote Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
    Yeah, see what other crap he is posting?
    The most important feature? Does it come with electric heated & adjustable seats?
    Josh is adamant this is what makes a performance car!!!

Validated User

Thumbs down

I believe the phrase "with-strained " may have been used.
    I specifically asked Ian, to say hello to dear Josh, for me .(not)

Absolutely, as i've explained a few times now "overboost" is effectively Full Boost with the bypass shut. You can't create more boost on a driven blower system unless you can change the pulley ratio.
    Yes, you did say that in the past. But like you said above, it's finally official.

I will try to find out if the LSA has a bypass valve or transient boost of some sort. If it doesn't then we'll collectively pay Josh a visit.

Yes, you did say that in the past. But like you said above, it's finally official.

I will try to find out if the LSA has a bypass valve or transient boost of some sort. If it doesn't then we'll collectively pay Josh a visit.
    Given the GTS has an inter-cooler id suggest full boost is already employed.

It will have a bypass otherwise it would go bang when you cut the throttle or rapid gear changes at high rpm..... LOL

The "overboost" number is effectively what we would have seen had the I/C been used.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

Falc'man (10th June 2014),WASP (10th June 2014)

Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast