Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: PROJECT WASP - Journey, Tips & Update on Yella Terra's PHASE III kit

Update

Just an update. The good people at Yella Terra have pulled down the my original kit. While it hasn’t seen much use, it was in amazing condition considering the output it’s been pushing (around 450rwkw’s).

Matt has reported that the blower rotors are still like new, no signs of stress at all which means of course the 2.4lts Whipple been handling the pressures and higher rpm’s very well.

Attached are some photos of my original valley assembly compared to the new Phase III assembly which I am upgrading to. The picture clearly demonstrates the differences between them including:

• larger single pass intercooler
    • larger cnc port runners and cnc funnelling
    • larger plenum area, more space between the intercooler and top lid
    • larger bypass area
    • more space underneath between the blower and intercooler to disperse the discharge over the intercooler better
    • Full cast assembly now to reduce heat soak

Very Nice

What sort of gains are you expecting?

Quote Originally Posted by TICK4D-TAS View Post
    Very Nice

What sort of gains are you expecting?
    A little more power would be great but I'm really looking to gain efficiency, as in less boost, lower temps. The rest of my set up is well optimized so this addition should produce some interesting results.

Efficiency and steady boost with lower temps will help round the package out.

Quote Originally Posted by TICK4D-TAS View Post
    Efficiency and steady boost with lower temps will help round the package out.
    Definitely. Nothing better than having good, reliable power.
    “…The lies (Western slander) which well-meaning zeal has heaped round this man are disgraceful to ourselves only…How one man single-handedly, could weld warring tribes and wandering Bedouins into a most powerful and civilized nation in less than two decades….A silent great soul, one of that who cannot but be earnest. He was to kindle the world; the world’s Maker had ordered so." - Thomas Carlyle

Another update

Below are some more pictures of the upgrade process.

The old vs new photo’s shows the new kit assembled next to the old kit’s parts that Yella Terra have upgraded.

In my particular case I have asked Matt and Jim to add some extra parts at additional cost which are normally not included when upgrading from the older R-Spec design. This includes changing over of the top plate and rear top half of the intake which you would get only if you were purchasing an entirely new Boss Phase III kit (opposed to upgrading one).

Normally they would retain the original top plate, but to take full advantage of the new design capabilities I wanted to have all the latest kit improvements at my disposal.

The top plate and funnel photo below shows why I wanted to upgrade the top plate assembly as well.

First pic shows the larger and deeper area we now machine out for higher plenum flow and volume.

Second and third photo shows the new version of the intake side which has a machined tapered entry into the larger rear intake opening and upper rear casting. In addition to this I have had the rear plenum post removed to create an uninterrupted flow into the rear intake.

Below is the finished assembly with and without the plenum lid.

Those improvements are well worth the money, in the scheme of it all.

Big fan of the stealth look... Can just imagine the guy in stubbies and thongs looking at that engine bay at some car show in the not too distant future, points beneath the factory plenum and says "HA, this bloke finks he has a Phase III".
    “…The lies (Western slander) which well-meaning zeal has heaped round this man are disgraceful to ourselves only…How one man single-handedly, could weld warring tribes and wandering Bedouins into a most powerful and civilized nation in less than two decades….A silent great soul, one of that who cannot but be earnest. He was to kindle the world; the world’s Maker had ordered so." - Thomas Carlyle

Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
    Those improvements are well worth the money, in the scheme of it all.

Big fan of the stealth look... Can just imagine the guy in stubbies and thongs looking at that engine bay at some car show in the not too distant future, points beneath the factory plenum and says "HA, this bloke finks he has a Phase III".
    Thanks for your comments mate. I think the changes will turn a really good thing into a great thing. I have always felt this kit had the potenial to be a class leader with its low down torque delivery and stealth design among other things. I imagine the phase three reference is due to the kit's development version, being now the third generation of its kind. I also had the concept in mind of making my own modern day GTHO so if the shoes fits as they say... :-)

If you don't mind Colville I would like to promote these updates to our home page and Facebook page staggered over the next two weeks. Exceptional. Seeing Phase three raised a smile as I remember clearly the desire of your to build a Phase 3.
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

Quote Originally Posted by HSE2 View Post
    If you don't mind Colville I would like to promote these updates to our home page and Facebook page staggered over the next two weeks. Exceptional. Seeing Phase three raised a smile as I remember clearly the desire of your to build a Phase 3.
    Lol, yes it made me smile as well. I remember sharing my ‘GTHO’ story with Rob Herrod way back when they were fitting these kits. They ended up creating a plenum plate cover that had GTHO on it (GT Herrod Option). It was just a bit of fun but I was always wary of how this would go down with the original GTHO Phase 3 enthusiasts!

In regards to the exposure I would be honoured to grace your homepage and social networks Ian, thank you. This latest (and last) version of the Yella Terra Phase 111 BOSS supercharger kit is a great example of Australian automotive innovation and deserves the exposure.

The kit has now been finished off and is back in Autotech’s hands. Spiro has installed it already and will hopefully find some time soon to give it a tune and see how it responds.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast