Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to identify genuine XW/Y 9 inch.

How to identify genuine XW/Y 9 inch.

Hi guy's/girl's I have been looking for a genuine XW/Y 9 inch diff but they seem to be a rare item, anyway how do I tell or what should I look for to identify one if I happen to come across one and roughly what do they go for these day's ?.

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
    Hi guy's/girl's I have been looking for a genuine XW/Y 9 inch diff but they seem to be a rare item, anyway how do I tell or what should I look for to identify one if I happen to come across one and roughly what do they go for these day's ?.
    Flange to flange the shorter XW/Y housing is 52.25 inches, they don't have the tapered bracing on the centre section like the later wider XA/B 9".
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    Flange to flange the shorter XW/Y housing is 52.25 inches, they don't have the tapered bracing on the centre section like the later wider XA/B 9".
    Thank's Norm.. you don't have any pic's that I can see the differences visually at all do you ?.

XA/B style housing:

image.jpg

XW/Y style housing:

image.jpg
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

galaxy xr8 (21st June 2014)

That's not your's is it Norm the XW/Y diff ?.

That's not your's is it Norm the XW/Y diff ?.
    No just a pic I found

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    No just a pic I found
    Do you know of any for sale and what sort of dollar's they go for these days ?.

Do you know of any for sale and what sort of dollar's they go for these days ?.
    Hard to put a price on them, you can get ones from wrecks for $8-900, but XW/Y housings are very prone to cracking and bending so you really need to check them out. Then the centres may need a reco so you could easily spend a few K fixing one up.

Is there any benefit putting a latter type one in a XW or should I be sticking with the right era diff for my XW ?.

Is there any benefit putting a latter type one in a XW or should I be sticking with the right era diff for my XW ?.
    You have to use the narrower housing in a XW, the latter housings are 2" wider.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast