Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Long term ownership review: SZ Ford Territory Titanium AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
    It's been a long time! Today the Tez had its first stumble...a rock has holed the aux. fuel cooler and it has lost a lot of coolant. I was wondering why the temp gauge was hovering around the half way mark and both thermos were going troppo, now I know!

I'm guessing this is going to be an expensive exercise through the Ford stealership. I'll need to fix this car this weekend, hopefully Adrad do a replacement part.
    In the end, I ended up fixing this myself with an Adrad part ($250). Ford can go and jump off the top level of their Broadmeadows office tower with the prices they are asking for the genuine part. Removing the cooler can be done without removing the bumper. Simply jack it up, remove the driver's side wheel and the splash guard inside the wheel well, unbolt the undertray on that side (which you have to do anyway to release the splash guard) and you can access the cooler easily. While I was there I fitted the genuine stone guard to the new cooler.

The war office and I have been discussing upgrading the car lately. It is out of warranty and being cognisant of a number of issues the diesel Tez has as well as big dollar maintenance updates (120,000 klm timing belt) together with the lag that shits me to tears, I was looking at the current crop of Thai-made 4x4 wagons and the Pajero.

We've decided to keep the Tez, and fix it when/if things break and I am finally going to get the tune done. The reason being is that the Tez does a lot of things too well, such as general family wagon duties and long hauls which is the predominant use of the car in any case. Given that the Territory is still the benchmark for SUV driving dynamics and is still one of the most popular family wagons around, we felt that the potential replacements wouldn't be as good in that respect and the Territory's quibbles can be fixed with some investment.

I will also post up a couple of vids later of some off road driving (beach and scrub) from a holiday up north last week to give an idea of the Tez's off road ability.
    "You might not notice them, but those few standing proud are the reason some can stand at all."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Road_Warrior For This Useful Post:

4Vman (16th July 2017),FTe217 (24th July 2017),Randel (16th July 2017)

There is a tcm update that's meant to reduce the lag problem.

Quote Originally Posted by VZTRT View Post
    There is a tcm update that's meant to reduce the lag problem.
    Last service about 2 months ago (75,000 klm) a PCM update was done that made some difference, but it is still there. It also upset the transmission's apple cart for a few days and it was clunking and banging and carrying on like a pork chop but settled down eventually. Would this have been the update you mention?
    "You might not notice them, but those few standing proud are the reason some can stand at all."

Beach driving, some of it is probably trafficable by 2WD but the part at the end wasnt!

https://youtu.be/WvGS7aYMPgQ

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Road_Warrior For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (17th July 2017),Randel (16th July 2017)

Last service about 2 months ago (75,000 klm) a PCM update was done that made some difference, but it is still there. It also upset the transmission's apple cart for a few days and it was clunking and banging and carrying on like a pork chop but settled down eventually. Would this have been the update you mention?
    Yeah I believe that would be the one. I would say the banging was the tcm relearning your driving habits.

Beach driving, some of it is probably trafficable by 2WD but the part at the end wasnt!

https://youtu.be/WvGS7aYMPgQ
    Nice little vid RW.
    Drop tyre pressure yeh ? and to what if so.
    How long is that beach ?
    Agree pretty easy sand most of it, could tell got a bit softer heading up to the road.
    Go right down onto the wet sand - some go no way the salt will rust my car out lol.....yer long after I've got rid of mine.

Stockton Beach where I frequent is twice thicker high end of the beach prior to the dunes we get amongst as well.
    At times ruts that deep diffs etc are scrapping the bottom. Mad fun.
    One time to give myself a head start up to climb a 30odd ' dune my sump gaurd bottomed out on the apex leaving me with the known battle scar of a slightly curved in gaurd lol.....
    Going down these dunes tests your butt cheeks, brake too quick you bury the front rims those not in the know - its such fun, kids love it.
    I'm down to 16lb when on this beach RW.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Quote Originally Posted by FTe217 View Post
    Nice little vid RW.
    Drop tyre pressure yeh ? and to what if so.
    How long is that beach ?
    Agree pretty easy sand most of it, could tell got a bit softer heading up to the road.
    Go right down onto the wet sand - some go no way the salt will rust my car out lol.....yer long after I've got rid of mine.

Stockton Beach where I frequent is twice thicker high end of the beach prior to the dunes we get amongst as well.
    At times ruts that deep diffs etc are scrapping the bottom. Mad fun.
    One time to give myself a head start up to climb a 30odd ' dune my sump gaurd bottomed out on the apex leaving me with the known battle scar of a slightly curved in gaurd lol.....
    Going down these dunes tests your butt cheeks, brake too quick you bury the front rims those not in the know - its such fun, kids love it.
    I'm down to 16lb when on this beach RW.
    Nah mate didn't let the tyres down, the beach is a couple klm long, the camera doesn't really demonstrate how boggy it was in a couple of spots, if you were in a 2WD car you'd definitely get stuck in those areas but for a lot of it, 2WD will do. Here's a vid of the entry to the beach:

https://youtu.be/fI_8ajAcefI

The issue with any off roading with the Territory is the ground clearance, damn transfer case hangs down too low and the engine undertray has this bloody dozer blade at the back of it that sticks down vertically about 2 inches (why Ford, WHY??), if the wheel ruts in that sand were deeper, I'd end up pushing sand and get bogged.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Road_Warrior For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (24th July 2017)

Brilliant read mate.

Can I post this in our Facebook page?
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

Sure, no problem.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567