Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: oilís aint oilís ?.

oilís aint oilís ?.

Ok guyís I need some ideaís and general advice on what you think here,
    Today I bought some Castrol Edge Titanium 5W-30, it was on sale at Supercheap for $27 for 5 litres (usually $74) so I bought 10 litres.
    Now I plan to use it on my AUII XR8 which previously I have used Castrol Edge Titanium 10W-60, but I am unsure if it will be sufficient or to thin.
    The car has done 67,000 klms and used no oil all itís life.

What are peoples opinions on this 5W-30 ?.

If your engine is in good condition use the oil viscosity recommended for it. If you go to a significantly different viscosity to that recommended for the engine you risk hurting it.

Another tip I was once given is once you choose a brand and type of oil stick with it, especially if you use synthetic oils.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Jacob
    Do you have an oil pressure gauge? Would mod things easier to track.
    Silk BF2 XT
    13.985@100.09MPH
    175.9rwkw CHE Dyno Day

The numbers explained:

The first part of the viscosity designation (W grade) is an indication of the product's ability to help an engine crank and start and for the engine to pump the lubricant. The lower the number (0W is the lowest), the lower the temperature the product can be used. So the W grade is related to the lowest temperature your engine sees when you start the engine on the coldest morning of the year. But also keep in mind that a lower W grade pumps and helps an engine to start better than a higher W grade.

The second part the viscosity grade is related to the viscosity your engine sees at operating temperature. In this case, a higher number is a higher viscosity grade and provides more viscous oil at operating temperature than lower viscosity grade oil. It is not safe to assume that a higher viscosity oil is always better for your engine because other factors, such as engine design, fuel economy and power, are also related to operating viscosity. You should always consult your owner's manual for the right oil to use for your particular engine
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

In short 5W 30 is for winter or very cold climates or engines manufactured with very close tight tolerances.

Use that oil in an old warn motor or in Sumer and you could have oil pressure and lubrication issues which could kill the bearings.

They say do not use less than a 40 weight oil in the 5.0, so either 10w 40 or 15w 40 would be the best oil.

From memory 15w 40 is the correct oil for them.

Thank’s for your feed back Norm, yeah I think I might just return it and get the 10W-60 or something along the number’s like you say 15W-40.

And FPV GTHO, it does have a oil pressure gauge but it is just the factory one in the dash cluster, nothing to accurate, more so a guide.

Unless it's quite worm and high mile 60 is too high as well for your engine, you'll put unnecessary strain on the oil pump and it will probably make less power and use more fuel.

15w40 or in winter 10w40 would be the best bet?

Jacob
    There's no reason you can't use a 0w40 or 5w40 if 15w40 is reccomended, you'll just pay alot more for it.
    Silk BF2 XT
    13.985@100.09MPH
    175.9rwkw CHE Dyno Day

The closest I can find in the castrol is magnatec 10w -40.

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
    The closest I can find in the castrol is magnatec 10w -40.
    Should be fine! What does your manual say?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast