Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: oilís aint oilís ?.

  1. #21
    Miami Sprint. 4Vman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    18,809
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
    which one mate... which one are you saying not to use or which one to go for.
    Don't use a 30 weight oil and don't use a 60 weight oil.

    For your engine 40 (as per Fords recommendations) is perfect.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

  2. #22
    Validated User galaxy xr8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,613
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    Don't use a 30 weight oil and don't use a 60 weight oil.

    For your engine 40 (as per Fords recommendations) is perfect.
    Thank’s...so from what I gather its ok to use a 5w -40 versus a 10w-40 as if I were going to swap them over the edge is the same (5w-40) where as the magnatec (10w-40) is different and price wise as well.

  3. #23
    Miami Sprint. 4Vman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    18,809
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
    Thank’s...so from what I gather its ok to use a 5w -40 versus a 10w-40 as if I were going to swap them over the edge is the same (5w-40) where as the magnatec (10w-40) is different and price wise as well.
    Yeah either is fine, just realize the lower number means it will be thinner at startup, so be mindful of that.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

  4. #24
    Validated User galaxy xr8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,613
    what issues will that raise ?.

  5. #25
    Miami Sprint. 4Vman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    18,809
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
    what issues will that raise ?.
    Really doubt you'll get any. No burnouts while cold ok??!!
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

  6. #26
    Validated User galaxy xr8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,613
    I drive like a nana most times these days.

  7. #27
    Jacob
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    St Mary's Sydney
    Posts
    194
    Shouldn't have any issues, should actually run better being thinner as it will prime the system quicker.
    Silk BF2 XT
    13.985@100.09MPH
    175.9rwkw CHE Dyno Day

  8. #28
    Validated User galaxy xr8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,613
    Ok I have been speaking with a company that is supposedly at the foremost with oil tech and I asked about their recommendation last year where they told me to run a 10w-60.
    This is the reply I received today back from them,


    The old more than 300 kW at the flywheel should run 10w60 still stands

    I have Filtergrams of a Ford turbo 4 cyl pushing 500+ hp and making metal so new shells and trying 10w60 to see if it stops making metal (which it will)

    So big power = big protection


    So once again I am back with this grade or the 15w-40 ?.

  9. #29
    Miami Sprint. 4Vman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    18,809
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
    Ok I have been speaking with a company that is supposedly at the foremost with oil tech and I asked about their recommendation last year where they told me to run a 10w-60.
    This is the reply I received today back from them,


    The old more than 300 kW at the flywheel should run 10w60 still stands

    I have Filtergrams of a Ford turbo 4 cyl pushing 500+ hp and making metal so new shells and trying 10w60 to see if it stops making metal (which it will)

    So big power = big protection


    So once again I am back with this grade or the 15w-40 ?.
    Name the company. Are you making more than 300kw and use it for high rpm motorsport??
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

  10. #30
    Validated User galaxy xr8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,613
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    Name the company. Are you making more than 300kw and use it for high rpm motorsport??
    It was mainlube.
    And no my XR8 is virtually stock with the only mod’s being a full Herrod S/S exhaust and Unichip and K&N filter, so roughly around 230kw, and no I never use it for high rpm, it’s a cruiser/family car.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •