Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing with a diesel Focus :)

Playing with a diesel Focus :)

Hey guys, I've been having a bit of a play with my Focus, it had a few mods:

3" turbo back exhaust
    Stainless boost pipes
    High flow cat
    Airtec Gen 3 FMIC
    Bilstein B8 shocks
    Eibach pro-kit progressive springs
    22mm whiteline rear sway bar

We ran it up on the dyno and it made just under 100KW at the wheels (no dyno sheet unfortunately).

I had a company called TDI Turbos in the UK build me up a hybrid Garrett GT1749, with a 56mm compressor:

I had the exhaust housing ceramic coated as well:

Also the rest of the turbo was reconditioned:

Also had the turbine cut back:

I've had the car at a shop for about 4 weeks, I just got it back today, they installed my new turbo and a Devils Own Water/Methanol injection kit I sourced and supplied:

Its been a bit of a bitch to tune, this is the first time they've done one of these cars, and apparently the ECU is locked up like Fort Knox, so its hard to make adjustments, it spent 3 full work days on the dyno and this is the result of the 23rd remap:

The 109KW run was another previous remap.

It made 123KW/wheels on a previous remap but they werent too happy with it as it was a bit smokey.

Unfortunately the nozzle supplied with the water/methanol kit is too big, so it just stalls the car by injecting too much for the engine to handle, as a precaution until I can get the smaller nozzles the kit has been disabled.

This is an interim tune, the car should be going back in Jan hopefully if the smaller nozzles arrive from the UK then, with the water/methanol hopefully we can add more diesel and use the water/methanol injection to clean it up a little.

Its interesting to drive now, with the bigger compressor wheel there is a little bit of lag when cruising at 100km/h in 6th, but it doesn't take long to build up boost, it hauls ass from 2200-3500 RPM now and feels much more torquey. They also raised the torque limiter by around 20% so its easier to get the thing moving in the lower gears, I wanted them to remove it but they suggested putting around 400nm+ through the front wheels in 1st gear was going to break things lol.

I'm hoping with some more time on the dyno, some more figuring out the ECU and getting the right nozzle for the water/methanol injection kit 130KW at the fronts wouldn't be unrealistic.
    Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 24th December 2014 at 11:03 PM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Franco Cozzo For This Useful Post:

Falc'man (25th December 2014),FTe217 (31st December 2014),Lynton (14th February 2015),Perko (25th December 2014),Randel (25th December 2014),Road_Warrior (24th December 2014),WKD60 (25th December 2014)

Well done Damo.
    “…The lies (Western slander) which well-meaning zeal has heaped round this man are disgraceful to ourselves only…How one man single-handedly, could weld warring tribes and wandering Bedouins into a most powerful and civilized nation in less than two decades….A silent great soul, one of that who cannot but be earnest. He was to kindle the world; the world’s Maker had ordered so." - Thomas Carlyle

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Falc'man For This Useful Post:

Franco Cozzo (25th December 2014)

So far the injection pump hasn't started losing pressure, so its not being strained, we can get more fuel in which is good, its just a matter now of how much black smoke is acceptable before she builds boost, mainly 2nd/3rd is where the black smoke issue is.

Its odd, if you get it to blow out some soot, it hangs around in the air behind you for a little bit rather than just dissipating straight away, I don't want it overly bad that I attract too much attention from it and get EPA notice or something.

I believe this is why Ford switched to Bosch injection system and EMS on the newer 2.2L Mondeos in the UK as it has more precise control over fuelling.

Very interesting Damo.

My 2014 transit is a bugger for black smoke and to get going off boost now that its loaded with tools and shelving. Have often thought about seeing if it can be tuned to liven it up a bit.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TICK4D-TAS For This Useful Post:

Franco Cozzo (26th December 2014)

It seems to be using less fuel now too just cruising about the highway, I'm down to 4.9L/100km with average speed of 70km/h, before it was 5.5-5.8L/100km.

Its worth a shot but I wouldn't be taking it back to Ford for servicing if you do, because if they update the ECU you'll lose your tune or they might be able to pick up its been molested.

What I did was bought genuine filters and oil which met Fords specs and then took it to my local mechanic to get serviced and book stamped, then if I had warranty issues that was the only time it would go back to Ford for that specific issue.

Enjoying FOA's Final Masterpiece Perko's Avatar
    This is a great thread Damo. Nice to see some mods on a diesel. I don't know a lot about them so please keep the updates coming and a bit of an explanation as to why the changes are being made.
    Ford Heritage : KF Laser, XF Ute, XH Tradesman Ute, EL Futura, AU2 Ute, XD Ute, XH XR6 Ute, BA XR8 Ute, SX Territory, BF XR8 Sedan, EB2 S XR6, EB1 S XR8, WQ Fiesta, FGX XR8

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Perko For This Useful Post:

Franco Cozzo (26th December 2014)

The smaller nozzles have shipped so when they arrive the car will be going back in to get the water/methanol injection side working correctly, and some more tuning time/working out the ECU.

I'd love to get my hands on something with a BMW 3L I6 diesel one day as those things can pull massive power/torque increases over stock with some tuning and a bigger exhaust.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Franco Cozzo For This Useful Post:

Falc'man (30th December 2014)

I'm quite impressed with their triple turbo job.
    “…The lies (Western slander) which well-meaning zeal has heaped round this man are disgraceful to ourselves only…How one man single-handedly, could weld warring tribes and wandering Bedouins into a most powerful and civilized nation in less than two decades….A silent great soul, one of that who cannot but be earnest. He was to kindle the world; the world’s Maker had ordered so." - Thomas Carlyle

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Falc'man For This Useful Post:

Franco Cozzo (30th December 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
    I'm quite impressed with their triple turbo job.
    Even just the single bangers put out some nice figures after tuning:

Lots of potential there.

I guess lots of broken driveline components too if you aren't careful.

What mods were there from the first to the second sheet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast