Thread: 2018 Ford Focus Will Have Coupe, Hybrid and Offroad Versions

2018 Ford Focus Will Have Coupe, Hybrid and Offroad Versions

By Mihnea Radu | 2015-02-06 10:46 GMT

The battle over the compact segment is going to heat up pretty soon with the arrival of the Opel Astra K model, which we expect will be the most technologically advanced car they've ever made. Volkswagen has already discussed plans for the Golf 8's arrival, so where does that leave Ford and its Focus?

According to the Germans at Autobild, a new Focus model is being designed as we speak and will most likely arrive in 2018. It will be a global "One Ford" car and should be based on one of the new platforms expected to be shared with the Kuga and other compacts. It's one of only 8 that Ford plans to have by the end of the decade.

The range of models will be much more complex than it is now and will apparently include a two-door coupe for the first time. Ford used to offer the Focus as a CC model with a folding metal roof, but this new one is going to be a bit like the VW Scirocco and Audi TT, a FWD sportscar. The last time Ford did that, it was called a Puma (based on the Fiesta) and everybody loved it!

Another planned version is a rival for the VW Golf Alltrack and the Octavia Scout. It will be marketed under the X-Road name and might even make it to the US as a Volvo rival. Even regular Focus models will be available with all-wheel drive to rival the Golf.

Ford is also planning a new Focus Electric with a bigger battery pack and a Prius-fighting hybrid, which will apparently use a 3-cylinder engine with 150 horsepower and an electric engine, which frankly sounds like a Golf GTE rival, not a Prius.

Weight losses are also planned, though Autobild reports they won't be more than 50 kilograms (110 lbs), which is kind of disappointing when you consider how far behind the game the Focus is compared to the Peugeot 308.

http://m.autoevolution.com/2018-ford...ons-92000.html
    “…The lies (Western slander) which well-meaning zeal has heaped round this man are disgraceful to ourselves only…How one man single-handedly, could weld warring tribes and wandering Bedouins into a most powerful and civilized nation in less than two decades….A silent great soul, one of that who cannot but be earnest. He was to kindle the world; the world’s Maker had ordered so." - Thomas Carlyle

Every time I say Ford can't or won't they prove me wrong.

PS Ford will not make an AWD V8 grand tourer.
    “…The lies (Western slander) which well-meaning zeal has heaped round this man are disgraceful to ourselves only…How one man single-handedly, could weld warring tribes and wandering Bedouins into a most powerful and civilized nation in less than two decades….A silent great soul, one of that who cannot but be earnest. He was to kindle the world; the world’s Maker had ordered so." - Thomas Carlyle

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Falc'man For This Useful Post:

Lynton (8th February 2015),WASP (8th February 2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
    Every time I say Ford can't or won't they prove me wrong.

PS Ford will not make an AWD V8 grand tourer.

$100 says none of the exciting stuff makes it to here....
    Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
    In the words of a wise man: if you don't read the papers you're uninformed, if you do read the papers you're misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by defective View Post
    $100 says none of the exciting stuff makes it to here....
    If its a focus being rhd to start with in its home country i would take that action if you like.

If its Youssef wish list there,

A certain person made a claim Mustang would eventually go Awd. That claim has been time stamped for prosperity.
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

Interesting times ahead for the Focus. I have to agree with Ian and say that the good stuff will come here as we seem to be ok a getting fun stuff from the european based Fords, it is just the LHD US based stuff that we are neglected on.

The coupe sounds the most intriguing to me, I keep having visions of something that could be compared to a baby mustang popping into my head. The small coupe market is a pretty hot one at the moment with contenders such as the TT, Scirroco and Megane so it would be good to see ford come up with a contender for that market.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!

Quote Originally Posted by HSE2 View Post
    A certain person made a claim Mustang would eventually go Awd. That claim has been time stamped for prosperity.
    D6, which allows a longitudinally mounted engine in an AWD/RD layout, is a platform that will serve large cars, specifically the Explorer and Explorer-based Lincolns. There will be sedans and potentially large coupes based off this. Edit: but they will never make these. Everer.

Lynton, there are brands that can be successful in certain areas and others that won't. This is sometimes a problem Ford encounters and they know that. They've been active in changing the brand's perception - being at the forefront of many technologies, and offering class-leading products on many occasions. It's a slow process I think but they're getting there with being tech savvy and offering, in some cases, brutal performance products. The RS will surprise and please many people. The Shelby will elevate the pony cars to something else, and the Ford GT will be a great boost for Ford's image.

And I still get the feeling they haven't even started yet. The language used by Fields at the Detroit show has me convinced they really want to dominate in all aspects.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Falc'man For This Useful Post:

Lynton (8th February 2015)