Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mondeo : Same bum , different seat.

Thumbs up Mondeo : Same bum , different seat.

Ironically, my purpose for visiting my dealer was not as it seems, to look at falcons.
    My curiosity was regarding the new Mondeo that had recently arrived !
    On arrival, i spotted a trio of Mondies lined up, i immediately recognised them, how could i not, iv seen the pics for months....lol

I had planned to consider an upgrade to my current 2010 wagon, but not until next year, but being nosey, i thought i would have a look.

My current car is the basement " reps" car, white and no frills, but good fir what i wanted it for.
    I would look at another white wagon, or a nice red one if available.
    My first stop was in a " Trend" , what ever that is supposed to mean to me, a name that was wasted on me, to........trendy perhaps?
    It reputedly had an engine of 177kw, ? yer right, course it had...not.

The first impression of the Trend interior was ok, felt homely, a step up from my own at least. But just ok.
    Consol was ok, but a strange feature that it can be accessed from under the sides, looked more like an opportunity for things to fall out under your feet?
    Steering position was ok, easy adjusted from the adjustments, or steering wheel which had a nice feel to the hands.
    Small trans paddles behind the rim, if i wasn't told about them i probably would not have seen them ?? In fact i thought it didn't have sports shift until i asked !
    Electronics: the salesman described them as mostly passive , ie, you wont know about them until you need them , and then they will just appear ??
    This happened when a car pulled out from a drive way, plenty of room i thought, but a Red LED back lite on the windscreen to warn me ..?
    Over all it drove ok, no complaints, quiet , smooth, does all the right things.
    Except One : when i put my foot down in my 2010 , nothing happens........
    ...still doesn't?......sigh.....177kw......bollocks !,!.....disappointment on that score.
    The new sinc thing on the mondeo was interesting, it would take a while to work it out I guess, if it is easy to use, its a success, if not, i just wont use it ?
    Do i realy need a voice in a machine to tell me were the next MacDonald's is ?
    Surely not .....

Exterior is fine, stylish, sharp, no complaints, yet is it different enough to be exciting..?
    Yes....but just.
    If you want to know all the tech details, go online and find out before you go.
    I some how came away " underwhelmed" , other than power, i had no real complaints, and I'm sure i would be very happy owning one......

At one point i considered a Mazda 6 , but jeeeeez, that smily grill looks so, childish, no not for me.
    A Camry......sterile...

I told dealer to call me when a Titanium arrives, apparent no one has ordered a " Plum Red" model, so it would be a delay if i wanted one.

On this forum i have repeatedly said its a car that needs a V6 3.0L !
    I have no need to change that view.

I just cant stop thinking that if i had a decent power plant under my shoe,
    i would have come away with a different out look.

" underwhelming, yes"

Just my snap shot, make of it as you will......

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bluestuff1 For This Useful Post:

4Vman (5th March 2015),FTe217 (5th March 2015),TS50 (5th March 2015)

Aren't the new fusions, I mean, mondeos supposedly really heavy? Like as in just as heavy as a late model falcodore?
    Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
    In the words of a wise man: if you don't read the papers you're uninformed, if you do read the papers you're misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by defective View Post
    Aren't the new fusions, I mean, mondeos supposedly really heavy? Like as in just as heavy as a late model falcodore?
    Titainium deisel wagon:
    Ford say 1601kg , but other testers get 1880kg ?
    Dont know why the diffence, but at 1880 is heavier than a falcon ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestuff1 View Post
    Titainium deisel wagon:
    Ford say 1601kg , but other testers get 1880kg ?
    Dont know why the diffence, but at 1880 is heavier than a falcon ?
    Ssshhhhh you'll create a war..!
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

I'm surprised the EcoBoost didn't perform better than you suggest. It's a cracker of an engine.
    The phantom weight mentioned may go some way in explaining it though.

The old 2.3 is a piece of crap in the Mondeo. I thought that must have been what you drove.

See if you can take the TDCi for a spin. Can't fault my old TDCi. Goes well.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WKD60 For This Useful Post:

Bluestuff1 (6th March 2015),Franco Cozzo (5th March 2015)

I think it's fair to say when we test and evaluate cars in this segment we need to take off the helmet and gloves and put on a cardigan and loafers....

It would be a bit unfair to try to evaluate them from a performace perspective in comparison to Falcon and Commodore.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

Bluestuff1 (6th March 2015)

I have to admit I am suspect ing the assessment of power is tainted somewhat by the access to a 351 miami.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lynton For This Useful Post:

4Vman (5th March 2015),Bluestuff1 (6th March 2015),prydey (6th March 2015),TS50 (6th March 2015),WKD60 (5th March 2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynton View Post
    I have to admit I am suspect ing the assessment of power is tainted somewhat by the access to a 351 miami.
    i arrived in my 2.3 mondi, and drove the new mondi, then after chit chat , drove the XR.

I will stick my neck out and say if it had more sparkly performance it would have bee a winner.
    Im not expecting a rocket, iv got one already, just some thing........ more?

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    I think it's fair to say when we test and evaluate cars in this segment we need to take off the helmet and gloves and put on a cardigan and loafers....

It would be a bit unfair to try to evaluate them from a performace perspective in comparison to Falcon and Commodore.
    Agreed, yet having said that, Ford is trying to keep and attract falcadoor owners ?

BTW: a titanium mondi, wagon, sorry, estate, drives away for $50,000nz
    thats falcon country?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestuff1 View Post
    Agreed, yet having said that, Ford is trying to keep and attract falcadoor owners ?
    Are they though??

For the past few years the majority of Falcon sales have been performance based, i.e GT/XR.

Falcon has progressively lost ground in the "transport" segment since BF.

I don't see Ford offering anything to replace that yet.

I think Mondeo is about getting people who shop predominantly as transport to consider the brand, i.e Fleet and families or those who once did to come back?

Mustang to a different demographic too.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast