Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mondeo : Same bum , different seat.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    Rubbish, i towed a 2 tonne Ski boat for many years with an EF then AU Wagon, thing overtook other cars @ 120kph with absolute ease, never had the slightest issue sitting on the speed limit either.

Pulled boats up ramps without issues and backed my boat up a steep driveways into my garage.
    so why would a mondeo struggle??

Quote Originally Posted by prydey View Post
    so why would a mondeo struggle??
    FWD!!!!!!!! and Power!!

There's no way i could have reliably dragged a 2 tonne Ski boat up a wet boat ramp with the front legs...

Its been tried so many times, as soon as the ramp is wet from another boat and there's load on the drawbar the car just sits there spinning....

You could do it on some ramps depending on angle and surface but not reliably.

The other option is a "S" retrieval if the ramp is wide enough and quiet enough.

The Falcon did it with ease.

Power wise it wouldn't be as safe to overtake.

Been around boats and ramps too long.. its no place for a FWD vehicle.

We had friends that towed a boat with a Magna, it was ok on the highway as long as you planned well ahead.

They always got someone else to retrieve their boat for them though, the Magna just sat there spinning.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    FWD!!!!!!!! and Power!!

There's no way i could have reliably dragged a 2 tonne Ski boat up a wet boat ramp with the front legs...

Its been tried so many times, as soon as the ramp is wet from another boat and there's load on the drawbar the car just sits there spinning....

You could do it on some ramps depending on angle and surface but not reliably.

The Falcon did it with ease.

Power wise it wouldn't be as safe to overtake.

with the amount of cars available on the market, then you probably wouldn't buy a mondeo (or a falcon) if you were towing large boats or vans, or regularly visiting steep boat ramps.

as for the power argument, please. i think that just shows your prejudice against FWD vehicles. overtaking ability of a new mondeo would easily be as good as a 15-20yr old falcon.

Quote Originally Posted by prydey View Post
    with the amount of cars available on the market, then you probably wouldn't buy a mondeo (or a falcon) if you were towing large boats or vans, or regularly visiting steep boat ramps.

as for the power argument, please. i think that just shows your prejudice against FWD vehicles. overtaking ability of a new mondeo would easily be as good as a 15-20yr old falcon.
    Not everyone wants to drive a light truck either...

You'd be very surprised how many people who Ski'ed regularly had Falcon and Commodore Wagons and Utes...
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Thumbs down

I can only judge on my own experiences having had Falcon 6,s and 8ts , and a mondeo.

I would take a good load behind my previous falcons, but would not feel good towing 2T behind my Mondeo , it just hasn't got the torque with a 4cl auto!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestuff1 View Post
    I can only judge on my own experiences having had Falcon 6,s and 8ts , and a mondeo.

I would take a good load behind my previous falcons, but would not feel good towing 2T behind my Mondeo , it just hasn't got the torque with a 4cl auto!
    One of the things that would make me VERY nervous towing a skiboat or heavy load with a FWD is wet roads.

Id want at the very least load leveling springs to keep as much weight on the front as possible and limit fluctuations in drawbar load.

It would concern me for the propensity to aquaplane and lose drive/steering over undulations when the front bobs up and down over uneven surfaces..

Call me negative but FML it would make me very nervous...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234