Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Supercharged RTV.

Quote Originally Posted by Airmon View Post
    Sorry to see the ute in that state. Where do those bars mount? It musn't have bend the rad support then I take it?

Hope its back on the road soon mate, unfortunately I know all too well how that feels mate.
    The bar bolts onto the main frame support that a normal bar bolts to - you just get rid of the white plastic egg shell piece behind the bar. The are 6 spots where the smart bar is secured to the main front support.
    The upper radiator support was bent back a fair way, leading to radiator failure. The Condenser is gone too, I'd say. The engine runs, the top of the battery has been squashed, however it still holds a charge & doesn't leak, a bonus. It was to be pulled this morning so access to the engine bay could be gained. Some parts have turned up so real work has started.
    BAII RTV A Farmers Rocket.

Quote Originally Posted by dash gt View Post
    Tell them you want a BFII front end :P
    I admit that would look pretty good, however I've killed three roos with the Bar and only cracked an indicator lens, so a smart bar goes back on.

Got a call from Shannons t'other day, advised the repairers were still waiting on parts and the Ute would be another week.....
    All this 'shanks pony' is a chore I can tell you.
    I was supposed to spend this week at 'Snake Gully' so I sit at home instead.

Thanks for the very kind offer Dazz mate, I'm ok with a car available for short runs here n' there, for an hour or so.
    I'll go and check with the repairer in the morning.
    Hopefully wont be long.......

Dropped round to the repairers yesterday; upshot is that the Ute will be ready next Thursday (26/4).

Jees thats one big hit on the ute lucky the bar was on there! My ute had a run in with a wallaby and that resulted in a cracked front bar, can feel your pain. Kind of..
    The Smart Bar doesn't look great on many falcons but it looks at home on the RTV, works well.
    It's a fantastic set up you have put together mate, well done. Good luck with getting it back!

Thanks f0or the kind words blokes, it's appreciated very much.
    The Ute is coming along well now and will be ready to run shortly.

Hi Burnout, i bought Youssef's bf last month an now i'm thinking about adding a supercharger too.

I'm just interested to hear on the driving experience first, is it a real big difference?

Oh and any more engine pic?

G’day Matt,
    There was a discussion recently where a criticism was levelled at some S/C’s being too small to be of any use. I don’t agree with this as surely one would investigate which unit you wanted to buy before buying and installing it on you car.
    My point is that you need to investigate which unit suits your needs before you install it on your car and find its not delivering what you imagine was the output you wanted. I had a good look around, thought about things, numbers n’ stuff before I made my decision. I’m happy with the decision I made, the power is as advertised, as is the torque. (The Ute made 231rwkw & 500NM.)
    How’s the drive, you ask? Well imagine for a moment, you are out west, way out west, the road is bitumen, narrow but relatively smooth, it’s pretty warm, about 30 or so and the camper trailer is riding along pretty well behind the car. Up ahead, about 60 m ahead is a 3 trailer road train full of stock, he’s doing 85kph. You move right a little so you can see what may be in front of him, nothing; just then he indicates you have a clear run ahead, so you give it the right foot, all the right foot. The car responds by dropping 2 gears and it starts to whine, the seat back behind you starts to push you forward and the car gets going, big time. The whine increases as you pass 5000revs, and everything is moving very fast, the car is building, the noise rising and rising, the rush getting quicker, the back of the seat pushing harder and harder, just before the red line hits she changes gear and it starts again from a higher rev range this time, the car it going mad, the XR Turbo exhaust can’t be heard any more as the whining monster under the bonnet over comes all the other noise. Seemingly in moments light flashes into the left hand side front window and you are past the prime mover; you glance down to find that the speedo is well into ‘ go directly to jail’ mode so you begin to back off and the noise backs off two, you hear a big ‘chuff’ from under the bonnet realising you hadn’t made top gear yet and the car slows slowly, seemingly wanting to run on……That’s the drive, well one of them anyhow, willowbank is the same just shorter….
    Questions to ask yourself:
    Why do you want an S/C instead of selling the motor you have and buying a Turbo or F6 motor and tossing that in.
    Well that’s a good question, I chose S/C for one reason because I had the V8 Raditator, the V8 Transmission an the V8, M86 Diff, just like all the other RTV’s. This meant I could toss and S/C on without eating the driveline up in the process. Another thing I considered was the size of the S/C, I didn’t want a 9 second ¼, I didn’t want to loose a whole lot of economy, I didn’t want to spend the world. etc, etc
    So if you are going to put an S/C on your car consider your options as carefully as you can.

To put that into perspective, Matt, a stock BF has around 145 rear wheel kilowatts. Your car has about 175, and Simon's has 231rwkw.

Simon I'd love to experience that in person... without sounding biased I love the Barra's note to no end but after reading that I need to get my backside in the passenger seat of that RTV.
    “…The lies (Western slander) which well-meaning zeal has heaped round this man are disgraceful to ourselves only…How one man single-handedly, could weld warring tribes and wandering Bedouins into a most powerful and civilized nation in less than two decades….A silent great soul, one of that who cannot but be earnest. He was to kindle the world; the world’s Maker had ordered so." - Thomas Carlyle

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast