Thread: The XW

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Talking The XW

So as some of you are probably aware, I have this week come into possession of this bad boy:

It's kind of like getting reacquainted with an old friend, my first car was a white XW, and even though it was a bucket of shit, the desire to own a good one one day never left me. An XY Fairmont I bought for $1100 as a project car some 15 years ago had to be sold due to being kicked out of the workshop space I was in. Since then, I've always had that itch that needed scratching.

It's in overall great nick, but as you can imagine with a 45 year old car that had it's resto done about 10 years ago, there are a few little things needing attention. Mainly mechanical.

First cab off the rank is a cooling system flush. The radiator was half empty when the car arrived and what "coolant" was in there appears to have been diluted with tap water. So that shit is out; a good flush with the hose and in goes some Tectaloy 90. I'm going to replace the thermostat while I am at it as I don't know how old it is and the engine seems to get very hot. The heat radiated by the...err, radiator is just bullshit, it shouldn't get that hot. The old thermostat is a 71 degree unit and the replacement Stant unit I have bought is rated at 82. I will replace the sender unit once I get hold of one as the temp guage seems to hardly budge but I know full well that donk is getting HOT. The wire going into the temp sender plug is dodge as well so I will have to replace that.

A new battery won't go astray either. It has this pissy little 360CCA battery in it that doesn't seem to last long. Needs new battery clamps too.

Then to get it licensed.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Road_Warrior For This Useful Post:

13726548 (16th December 2015),4Vman (5th December 2015),defective (5th December 2015),Elks (6th December 2015),Franco Cozzo (6th December 2015),FTe217 (5th December 2015),Hackney (27th December 2015),HSE2 (5th December 2015),Jim (12th May 2016),Katefactor (1st May 2016),Lynton (26th January 2016),Perko (6th December 2015),project 064 (6th December 2015),Randel (5th December 2015),TICK4D-TAS (13th December 2015),VZTRT (16th December 2015)

and so the bottomless pit of classic car ownership turns once more ...lol

my 71 hasn't cost me a thing, mostly because i haven't even looked at it in two years let allown driven it.....lol

all the best mate ..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluestuff1 For This Useful Post:

Road_Warrior (5th December 2015)

Tis a beautiful thing....

With the heat, every clevo I've owned has run hot, especially the 351. Is this running a clevo or a Windsor? I can't remember from the other thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
    In the words of a wise man: if you don't read the papers you're uninformed, if you do read the papers you're misinformed.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to defective For This Useful Post:

Road_Warrior (5th December 2015)

Clevo mate.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Road_Warrior For This Useful Post:

13726548 (16th December 2015),defective (5th December 2015)

Good luck to you RW, well done, you got what you wanted thats the main thing.
    I hope she's reliable and yu enjoy the cruising,sound and just having it there for enjoyment.
    I'm jealous, not that I'm a massive XY fan - don't get me wrong I'd love the thing, I'm having to make the call sooner or later buy a late FG - a FGX or I'd love a coupe or something similar as the next toy.
    Look forward seeing some other pics in the meantime once you have them to post.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

Hackney (27th December 2015),Road_Warrior (5th December 2015)

Quote Originally Posted by FTe217 View Post
    Good luck to you RW, well done, you got what you wanted thats the main thing.
    I hope she's reliable and yu enjoy the cruising,sound and just having it there for enjoyment.
    I'm jealous, not that I'm a massive XY fan - don't get me wrong I'd love the thing, I'm having to make the call sooner or later buy a late FG - a FGX or I'd love a coupe or something similar as the next toy.
    Look forward seeing some other pics in the meantime once you have them to post.
    Thanks mate. I've just finished the cooling system flush with a new thermostat, sender unit, coolant and thermostat housing (original iron one was rooted). It would seem the only thing that has changed is the temperature guage is now being honest - temp goes up to the half way mark now but when the engine stops, it creeps up to the red.

One thing I have noticed is that the fan sits shy of the radiator by about 40mm and is actually half sticking out of the fan shroud. That can't be good for airflow either.

Carby is a Carter Thermoquad. It would also seem there has been some bbq action in the air cleaner quite a bit given how black everything is in there and how charred the air filter is!!