Page 29 of 79 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: The XW

I guess I always knew I was going to be up for SOME mechanical fixing, just not a continual wild goose chase where I'm finding other issues along the way in a 45 grand car. I don't know how old the motor is, so it is always going to be an unknown factor. The fundamentals are all good, but I have to say I'm surprised how difficult it is these days to find some engine parts. Seems every man and his dog sells repro interior or body parts but other critical things like the timing cover for example, less so.

Validated User
    Don't worry, my EL's have been pampered all their life.
    Street Built found the water pump severely corroded. the Timing Case cover badly corroded, & the thermostat on it's way out, when the engine was removed from the Blue GT.
    I have renewed the coolant every two years in both cars, seems some coolants are better than others.
    I had them replace all the welsh plugs while the engine was out of the car.
    Cheap Insurance against further expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by project 064 View Post
    Don't worry, my EL's have been pampered all their life.
    Street Built found the water pump severely corroded. the Timing Case cover badly corroded, & the thermostat on it's way out, when the engine was removed from the Blue GT.
    I have renewed the coolant every two years in both cars, seems some coolants are better than others.
    I had them replace all the welsh plugs while the engine was out of the car.
    Cheap Insurance against further expenses.
    So, uhh, I'm being told that there are different versions of the timing cover. Not as in steel or alloy, but "to suit different water pumps or whether it had a mechanical fuel pump or electric with the blank off plate"

I think the parts desk dude may have had his wires crossed, all the ones on Ebay look the same?

Validated User
    Quote Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
    So, uhh, I'm being told that there are different versions of the timing cover. Not as in steel or alloy, but "to suit different water pumps or whether it had a mechanical fuel pump or electric with the blank off plate"

I think the parts desk dude may have had his wires crossed, all the ones on Ebay look the same?
    Eh, we are talking Cleveland engines? I have never seen an E.F.I Cleveland?
    Yes, Windsors, were carbie & fuel injected, some had the engine oil dipstick near the fuel pump mount.
    E.F.I engines had the dipstick located on the right bank of the engine.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to project 064 For This Useful Post:

Randel (8th February 2016),Road_Warrior (8th February 2016)

I think the parts desk dude may have had his wires crossed
    I agree

But fark me, do you think anyone in Perth has a timing chain cover in stock?

Veale?
    Repco?
    Covs?
    Rare Spares?
    Super Roo?
    CMP?
    A1 High Performance?

Nyet!

But fark me, do you think anyone in Perth has a timing chain cover in stock?

Veale?
    Repco?
    Covs?
    Rare Spares?
    Super Roo?
    CMP?
    A1 High Performance?

Nyet!
    Hard to get for Clevo's.

1 left:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-302-...item19d1cbe970
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Quote Originally Posted by project 064 View Post
    Eh, we are talking Cleveland engines? I have never seen an E.F.I Cleveland?
    Yes, Windsors, were carbie & fuel injected, some had the engine oil dipstick near the fuel pump mount.
    E.F.I engines had the dipstick located on the right bank of the engine.
    Electric fuel pump,,not efi
    Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
    In the words of a wise man: if you don't read the papers you're uninformed, if you do read the papers you're misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    I want all this shit by the weekend so I can fit it all and get the basterd back on the road. I can't believe there is no one in this whole state who has one on the shelf. Last chance is the brother in law and see if he has a good used one kicking around. Mine's fucked.

I've seen some steel ones on ebay "Made in Australia" but the seller provides no details about who actually makes them. Made in Oz doesn't mean shit if the part is a piece of crap, and the alloy "Speedmaster" ones are Procomp in disguise from what I can tell - seems to be a lot of venom on the net for Procomp stuff.

Procomp is very hit and miss. Some say big solid pieces (like a timing cover) are fine, no moving parts etc, but others say they're that shit half the bolt holes won't line up, and if they do it won't sit flat lol.

I'd risk it as a last resort, if I bought it from a shop and could easily return it if it was junk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
    In the words of a wise man: if you don't read the papers you're uninformed, if you do read the papers you're misinformed.

Page 29 of 79 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast