Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RTV and sand

RTV and sand

Hey,

Just a question, has anyone ever been in or seen an RTV on the beach? For example Fraser Island.

Just curious of its capabilities.

Validated User
    Quote Originally Posted by pacificfordqld View Post
    Hey,

Just a question, has anyone ever been in or seen an RTV on the beach? For example Fraser Island.

Just curious of its capabilities.
    From what I know about them, they would be no good for beach work. They are more of a dirt road / farm capable vehicle, then a beach rig.
    2017 FORD PXII WILDTRAK 4X4
    2016 FORD FGX XR6 SPRINT LE TURBO 325
    2016 FORD LZ FOCUS SPORT
    2017 SEADOO RXT300RS JETSKI

I reckon your about spot on Dash.
    I'm no expert but having done some beach driving nowadays similar to Fraser etc I wouldn't be risking going with a 2wd vehicle at all.
    One minute you can be on low tide hard sand next minute you can be on soft like quick sand for a time - nothing like having all 4 wheels pulling through.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Well actually they are now illegal on Fraser (thanks ALP) but over the years I have seen dozens of Falcons and Kingswoods on the beach and some even on the less difficult inland tracks. This was before all the wooden crossings and one way roads.
    I also know of quite a few people who drop back to 2WD on the back beach "to save fuel" and sometimes forget to go back to 4WD when leaving the beach for the shops, resorts and camping areas.

So basically an RTV would go alright provided you did not try to do anything silly but the barges will not take you over there.
    A velocitatem terram

Google-Fu, the ancient snowflake art of knowing little, understanding less but believing anything they find on Google as the word of God.

Thanks guys!

I wouldn't trust having no high/low myself, just in case.

yep, you take anything anywhere at a risk, partly why I expect why 2wd's have been banned, how many have been sinking in quick sand over the years ?! lol......
    Can't beat having high/low pacific.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by FTe217 View Post
    yep, you take anything anywhere at a risk, partly why I expect why 2wd's have been banned, how many have been sinking in quick sand over the years ?! lol......
    Can't beat having high/low pacific.
    Actually I do not remember any 2WDs getting into trouble. The vast majority of stuff ups are made up of superheros, usually from Brisbane, driving some soop doopa giant 4WD with the entire ARB catalogue fitted trying to drive somewhere that is way above their skillset or not understanding that waves are neither consistent nor predictable and that 6 inch deep tidal rock crossing can become 3 feet deep in a matter of seconds.

My 4WD is a little rag top JLX Vitara with a 2l engine. It goes almost anywhere because it is very light and I always enjoy watching the brizzos trying to get off the beach in their blingmobiles and getting bogged up to the axles and then my just wandering up the cutout without even raising a sweat. There are places where I would get into all sorts of trouble particularly as it has a very short wheelbase. I just don't go to those places.
    A velocitatem terram

Google-Fu, the ancient snowflake art of knowing little, understanding less but believing anything they find on Google as the word of God.

Agree Flappist on the casual's that are in over their depth. Much like anything/everything, you have people who have everything and the kitchen sink to the simpleton to the inexperienced to the expert - such is life right.
    Hope you have offered to help out those stranded from time to time, those Brizzio's are just looking to clense and enjoy themselves after all they deserve 1 huge holiday per annun after being in Brizvegas - I can just picture the Griswalds everywhere on the nth Qld coast.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by flappist View Post
    My 4WD is a little rag top JLX Vitara with a 2l engine. It goes almost anywhere because it is very light and I always enjoy watching the brizzos trying to get off the beach in their blingmobiles and getting bogged up to the axles and then my just wandering up the cutout without even raising a sweat. There are places where I would get into all sorts of trouble particularly as it has a very short wheelbase. I just don't go to those places.
    You'd be surprised how many people have these and they do go anywhere (well most places). Funniest is when they're pulling out the big 4WD's that seem to get bogged. I guess the anti bog device wasn't in the ARB catalog!!

Quote Originally Posted by FTe217 View Post
    Agree Flappist on the casual's that are in over their depth. Much like anything/everything, you have people who have everything and the kitchen sink to the simpleton to the inexperienced to the expert - such is life right.
    Hope you have offered to help out those stranded from time to time, those Brizzio's are just looking to clense and enjoy themselves after all they deserve 1 huge holiday per annun after being in Brizvegas - I can just picture the Griswalds everywhere on the nth Qld coast.
    Actually offering advice usually brings abuse as I am "driving a toy car" which makes the polite wave and smile as I go where they can't just so much more enjoyable.....
    It is even more fun when riding the KTM around 4WDs bogged on dunes. Around as in riding in a circle around them after they have told me that I will not be able to follow them as my tyres are too thin.

I will be over there tomorrow, I will take pics if I see anything amusing.
    A velocitatem terram

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flappist For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (11th December 2015),pacificfordqld (11th December 2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast