Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RTV and sand

That would be awesome

Reason I have been asking is because I've never owned a 4WD, like utes, but all that I can think of is a Subaru Brumby (I don't need a Courier/Ranger/Triton/Hilux etc and RTV was just a question (already really knowing the answer)

So I've been looking at cheap Jimny's which sound like they are the ideal first 4WD for learning etc. And cheap!

Jimny's have been popular for the fishermen, nsw north coast is full of them as well.
    Forget Brumby's, good in their day but a PIA on parts now and more expensive than what they are worth.
    There used to be a Qld crowd doing lift kits for them back in the day called Scorpion, they did well till steering shafts started to snap ! lol.......
    Early Rav 4's could be another suggestion.
    I'm doing a beach run tomorrow will have to take some pics as well.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Quote Originally Posted by FTe217 View Post
    Jimny's have been popular for the fishermen, nsw north coast is full of them as well.
    Forget Brumby's, good in their day but a PIA on parts now and more expensive than what they are worth.
    There used to be a Qld crowd doing lift kits for them back in the day called Scorpion, they did well till steering shafts started to snap ! lol.......
    Early Rav 4's could be another suggestion.
    I'm doing a beach run tomorrow will have to take some pics as well.
    A bloke in my area when I was a young(er) hoon put a complete WRX driveline in a Brumby...certainly used to move out but at the end of the day was still a Brumby.
    "You might not notice them, but those few standing proud are the reason some can stand at all."

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Road_Warrior For This Useful Post:

flappist (11th December 2015),FTe217 (11th December 2015)

Quote Originally Posted by pacificfordqld View Post
    That would be awesome

Reason I have been asking is because I've never owned a 4WD, like utes, but all that I can think of is a Subaru Brumby (I don't need a Courier/Ranger/Triton/Hilux etc and RTV was just a question (already really knowing the answer)

So I've been looking at cheap Jimny's which sound like they are the ideal first 4WD for learning etc. And cheap!
    Jimnys and Vitaras are great but not a lot of them wholesale, well not a lot of cheap ones anyway. I bought mine on fleabay for $5k. It has the 2l I4 in the small chassis (1998 JLX only) which makes it a bit dearer as it is very popular as a run around towed behind a grey nomad Winnebago.
    The older vitaras are 1.6 and even older have carbs. The newer ones (Grand Vitara) are much bigger and don't have a rag top option. They are also a bit "softer" as Suzuki moved the focus to the "soccer mom" market.
    The jimnys are all 1.3 and while they are not very quick (about 80 flat out) they will go almost anywhere and the speed limit on the island is 80 anyway.

There are heaps of these for $2-5k and you can't kill them with a stick.

N.B. petrol on the island was about $2.20 a litre last time I bought some so fill up at rainbow and take a jerrycan.
    A velocitatem terram

Google-Fu, the ancient snowflake art of knowing little, understanding less but believing anything they find on Google as the word of God.

You must have been in some tired jimnys flappist, even the old 410's did 105/110 kmh. Sometimes with the help of a good tailwind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
    In the words of a wise man: if you don't read the papers you're uninformed, if you do read the papers you're misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by defective View Post
    You must have been in some tired jimnys flappist, even the old 410's did 105/110 kmh. Sometimes with the help of a good tailwind.
    I meant on sand....
    A velocitatem terram

Google-Fu, the ancient snowflake art of knowing little, understanding less but believing anything they find on Google as the word of God.

I have two pics of a giant echidna that was attacking me but they are fuzzy an mostly show lots of trees.....
    A velocitatem terram

Taken mine to the beach, Armstrong Beach at Serina, in fact.
    I would not take it to Fraser though, if you get the front into some soft stuff...... you're stuffed!
    The ute has been through loads of sand though, been to Giles, WA, done the Sandover Hwy and the Hells Gate Rd, from Doomagee to Roper Bar, via Borroloola and Nathan River. Had no trouble on any of 'em really. The driver does need to know his & his vehicles limitations.
    BAII RTV A Farmers Rocket.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burnout For This Useful Post:

flappist (24th December 2015),FTe217 (26th December 2015)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12