Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranger Raptor on the cards.

Ranger Raptor on the cards.

http://www.motoring.com.au/ford-rang...ampaign=buffer

Muscled-up Ranger ute could join F-150 Raptor as part of Ford Performance expansion

One of the maddest utes in existence is the new Ford F-150 Raptor, a jacked-up, 300kW twin-turbo V6 monster.

And the Ford Ranger could be next in line for a serious workover.

The F-150 Raptor was developed by Ford Performance, the same team behind the Fiesta ST, Focus ST, Focus RS and Mustang GT350. Formed roughly 12 months ago, Ford Performance has previously confirmed it will develop 12 new models by 2020.

Factor in the above five models and the newly-formed hot shop has seven models to come.

There’s no official confirmation at this stage but Paul Seredynski, Ford Performance global communications manager, said a Ford Ranger Raptor “was a fascinating idea” after dismissing several others, including a Ford Fiesta RS.

With a number of new Ford performance models to come by 2020 — the majority of which will need to be global vehicles — and the sales potential of North America joining the 180 countries in which the Ranger is already sold by 2019, it could be a profitable option for the Blue Oval to consider.

The initial response of Ford Performance’s chief engineer, Tyrone Johnson, to a Ford Ranger Raptor ute was “we don’t comment on future product”.

But clearly the idea of a beefed-up, bullet-proof Ranger Raptor is one that’s not lost on the decision makers at Ford.

“One thing that is true for us, and perhaps less true for others looking at some of the hardware they have: everything we do has to have a solid business case.

“We don’t do products that lose money or break even,” he said.

This begs the question, would an aggressively styled, top-shelf, go-fast Ranger have global appeal and would it be profitable for the brand? Johnson was evasive but didn’t deny that logic of the argument, particularly as Ranger is headed to the US in a few years.

“If it makes money, if there’s a business case, then I’m sure the people responsible for it are discussing it,” he posited, before offering: “Sure, it could be considered.”

Would you be tempted by a pumped-up, more powerful Ford Ranger flagship – potentially powered by a V6 turbo-petrol engine – positioned abover the current $57,890 Wildtrak?
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

The F-150 Raptor was developed by Ford Performance, the same team behind the Fiesta ST, Focus ST, Focus RS and Mustang GT350. Formed roughly 12 months ago, Ford Performance has previously confirmed it will develop 12 new models by 2020.

Factor in the above five models and the newly-formed hot shop has seven models to come.
    Not sure i agree with their math.

GT is missing from that list and depending on how you view Mustang there's GT350 and GT350R.

So potentially 7 products currently exist with 5 to go.

So existing:

GT
    F150 Raptor
    Fiesta ST
    Focus ST
    Focus RS
    GT350
    GT350R

So that last 5 to me would be:

Ranger Raptor
    GT500
    Fiesta RS
    Fusion Sport
    Fusion RS
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

What a shitty article "ooh, this would be nice" with no substance of any kind to back the story.

Would be better off building a much more off road ranger then a performance one.

Quote Originally Posted by VZTRT View Post
    Would be better off building a much more off road ranger then a performance one.
    I actually think the opposite.

There is a massive opportunity for whoever gets to market first with a genuine on road high performance SUV Ute to cater to the Pursuit/Maloo/XR/SS buyer.

Think Ranger Pursuit:

275kw 540nm TTV6 (with OB function).
    20" x 9" Wheels with 285 rubber all round
    Bit lower and stiffer
    Brembos

given that most trucks dont go off road, a tough ranger could be a go,
    as above, all ute buyers would be there to start with ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestuff1 View Post
    given that most trucks dont go off road, a tough ranger could be a go,
    as above, all ute buyers would be there to start with ?
    The entire SUV market has been completely trade/soft road focused (barring SRT8/ML63 etc).

The aftermarket has always catered to the more serious off road consumer for a number of reasons including the ability to warrant such an extreme vehicle as OEM.

Image and Performance has been completely ignored to date, i see it as an opportunity without question.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    The entire SUV market has been completely trade/soft road focused (barring SRT8/ML63 etc).

The aftermarket has always catered to the more serious off road consumer for a number of reasons including the ability to warrant such an extreme vehicle as OEM.

Image and Performance has been completely ignored to date, i see it as an opportunity without question.
    Agreed...

With the long time shift in the market you would have thought "Enhanced" versions would have been done long ago by anyone of them.
    Ford have the advantage of the Raptor F150 to work off compared to the rest of them, should be available now.
    Norm, with 20's you run 265 x 50 fyi....on these things, far more compliant and still capable enough for light duty offroad and perfect for onroad.
    If they get up to and over $70k based of a Wildtrak their volume I expect not to be high enough, probably off a XLT base.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Toyota did the trd hilux, wasn't a massive success but they're still fetching reasonable money.

Too early to the game I think, once Holden and ford are gone there will definitely be a market for a higher performing ute of some sort,
    Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
    In the words of a wise man: if you don't read the papers you're uninformed, if you do read the papers you're misinformed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast