Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ranger Raptor on the cards.

Validated User
    Is the correct response to this thread:
    1. The diesel nazis thought police will never allow it,

2. How dare anyone ever conceive of something out of the ordinary.

3. If this was such a good idea Toyota or someone else would have done it already.

4. Conform, keep buying slow turd diesels because every light truck must be able to go off road
    and travel 1500 km between fuel stops while towing a 3.5 tonne caravan..

I'll tell you right now, GM and Toyota would have neither the balls, brains or where with all
    to do such a truck, that's why they are looking on with slack jaws to Ford Raptor plans in the USA, this is money for jam in the right market.

Quote Originally Posted by defective View Post
    Toyota did the trd hilux, wasn't a massive success but they're still fetching reasonable money.

Too early to the game I think, once Holden and ford are gone there will definitely be a market for a higher performing ute of some sort,
    The TRD Hilux was a very nice vehicle 10 years too early, 10 grand too expensive and too fragile.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

defective (27th January 2016)

Validated User
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    The TRD Hilux was a very nice vehicle 10 years too early, 10 grand too expensive and too fragile.
    It also had a supercharged 4.0 V6 producing 225 Kw and 453 nm, I'm betting that an EB 2.7 with 240 Kw/480 nm in a ranger would outperform the TRD in both performance and fuel economy. The 2.7 has enough capacity to allow light cruise under minimal or no boost.

I love the idea of Ranger being able to cover both sides of the market, maybe the key here is added high end sales. If a Ford official thinks the idea is intriguing, then you can take that as something worth considering....

Maybe our market alone would not support it but if the rumors are true about Ranger returning to the USA in 2018, maybe this will be one of those models being considered..

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    It also had a supercharged 4.0 V6 producing 225 Kw and 453 nm, I'm betting that an EB 2.7 with 240 Kw/480 nm
    in a ranger would outperform the TRD in both performance and fuel economy. The 2.7 has enough capacity to allo
    light cruise under minimal or no boost.

I love the idea of Ranger being able to cover both sides of the market, maybe the key here is added high end sales.
    I guess when you look at the numbers of modified 4x4 utes out there (lift kits, off road wheels etc) then there is definitely a market there.

Quote Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
    I guess when you look at the numbers of modified 4x4 utes out there (lift kits, off road wheels etc) then there is definitely a market there.
    Definitely, but good luck getting some of those modifications, especially lift kits and suspension changes past safety and OEM validation.

I saw a lifted Hilux get up on 2 wheels the other day going around a roundabout it a speed a std one would do backwards safely.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Definitely, but good luck getting some of those modifications, especially lift kits and suspension changes past safety and OEM validation.

I saw a lifted Hilux get up on 2 wheels the other day going around a roundabout it a speed a std one would do backwards safely.
    Yes I've sometimes wondered about that, all the bogans out my way in their "fully locked and lifted" DOOL CAB HOYLUX BROSEF would all cop canaries and be ordered off the road if Plod ever got their act together.

I actually think the opposite.

There is a massive opportunity for whoever gets to market first with a genuine on road high performance SUV Ute to cater to the Pursuit/Maloo/XR/SS buyer.

Think Ranger Pursuit:

275kw 540nm TTV6 (with OB function).
    20" x 9" Wheels with 285 rubber all round
    Bit lower and stiffer
    Brembos
    Never would I think about a performance ranger. The off road thing is growing and i see plenty of these modded on the road.

Still dont see how they would fit a v6 in the engine bay......its tight as in there now.

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    4. Conform, keep buying slow turd diesels because every light truck must be able to go off road
    and travel 1500 km between fuel stops while towing a 3.5 tonne caravan..
    Dunno about this. More and more diesels are being tuned right up to have bloody good numbers, Ive driven an Amarok with 680nm and it was mental. Practical for when you need it, but stupid fast for when you want it.
    1997 EL GT #037 - Burgundy, Manual, Dusty.
    2015 VW Amarok 4MOTION Manual, tuned, BFG's, Lift - the Urban Warrior
    2017 VW Passat TSI R-Line Wagon - family hauler with the lot

Quote Originally Posted by b2tf View Post
    Dunno about this. More and more diesels are being tuned right up to have bloody good numbers, Ive driven an Amarok with 680nm and it was mental. Practical for when you need it, but stupid fast for when you want it.
    Diesels came 3rd, 4th and 7th in last years Le Mans 24hr. That is not a bad effort.....
    A velocitatem terram

Google-Fu, the ancient snowflake art of knowing little, understanding less but believing anything they find on Google as the word of God.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to flappist For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (28th January 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by VZTRT:98708
    Would be better off building a much more off road ranger then a performance one.
    I think you'll find it would be an off road performance ranger, more then capable of any off roading, just look on YouTube for what the f150 raptor can do. Jeremy from top gear to one to snow n even with a flat it still got up that mountain.
    I think it would be a good move, get it built n start selling it here ASAP.
    Out of interest anyone know the figures on how well the wildtrack sells here n what percentage of ranger sales does it account for?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to andrewforbes For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (28th January 2016)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast