Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Camping

As for the water pump, I bought a Shur-Flo unit off ebay for $150 which imo is the only way to go. Inbuilt pressure switch means you dont have to stuff around with switches if you want to pump water, just turn the tap on.
    "You might not notice them, but those few standing proud are the reason some can stand at all."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Road_Warrior For This Useful Post:

prydey (16th June 2017)

I used a Jabsco in my Camper Trailer, they come in various outputs. I chose 3.5 Gall per min, they are pressure switched as well:
    BAII RTV A Farmers Rocket.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burnout For This Useful Post:

prydey (17th June 2017),Road_Warrior (17th June 2017)

having discovered another free image hosting site, i thought i'd update this thread with some pics

last school holidays we decided on a spur of the moment trip to a caravan park about an hour away, just for a couple of nights to continue to get to know our new (to us) van. Forecast wasn't great but it was more about just getting away as a family.

well, it started off ok on the saturday morning, but from sat arvo, the wind started picking up and being coastal, the gusts were seriously worrying when you are in a slab sided van with canvas walls. i ended up putting guy ropes on the van roof on the opposite side to the awning just to try help hold it steady.
    then the rain came.
    we came close to calling it quits, but decided to trust the van would hold up, and sat it out.

not quite the relaxing weekend away but it was an experience...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to prydey For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (11th September 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
    As for the water pump, I bought a Shur-Flo unit off ebay for $150 which imo is the only way to go. Inbuilt pressure switch means you dont have to stuff around with switches if you want to pump water, just turn the tap on.
    i also fitted a shurflo 12v pump but ended up getting Jayco to fit it, as the cost wasn't that bad and it saved me messing about, and having to deal with the Mrs if something didn't go right

the last time out was the first time we tried it since being fitted and it wasn't great. flow wasn't smooth, like it was sucking air from somewhere. didn't see anything obvious so left it until we got back home. weather in adelaide has been shocking for the last couple of months, and haven't really had a chance to look at it until now. going away again in 3 weeks so set it up today to have a better look. (couldn't be bothered taking it back to jayco)

so, long story short, what i discovered is the pump is plumbed in to the hand pump line, which is fine, but from the T piece, to the handpump, there is air, so the 12v pump is randomly sucking air. the simplest way to solve this was to prime the hand pump, thus filing the whole line with water, and then operating the 12v pump. there must be some sort of valve in the hand pump, but it does gradually bleed back down if not used for a length of time, so i guess i should fit a non return valve above the T piece at some point. otherwise just pump the hand pump a couple of times before using the 12v.

how is yours set up Dave?

Piss the hand pump off completely. Get a little flick mixer tap fro Bunnings, plumb it direct to your pump and pump to water tank obviously. It should operate smooth as but will chatter or make noises when it is off if you have a water leak somewhere as the pressure switch will think there is a tap on.
    "You might not notice them, but those few standing proud are the reason some can stand at all."

And yes roof guy ropes are a must with a wind up camper especially if its windy because the lifting tubes could get bent if the roof sways too much. That and safety poles

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Road_Warrior For This Useful Post:

prydey (10th September 2017)

Piss the hand pump off completely. Get a little flick mixer tap fro Bunnings, plumb it direct to your pump and pump to water tank obviously. It should operate smooth as but will chatter or make noises when it is off if you have a water leak somewhere as the pressure switch will think there is a tap on.
    I'd rather keep the hand pump in case i ever have an issue with the 12v setup (flat battery, pump failure etc). that way, i would still have water. it works ok.

i have thought about fitting a third tap though and have all 3 separate to each other. funds are tight at the moment so i'll just monitor how it is for now, and if i need to fit an extra non return valve or 2 then i'll do that. apparently the internal ones in the 12v pump aren't ultra reliable long term.

That and safety poles
    that's top of the list at the moment. currently don't have any. thinking of just getting 4 broom handles or something and cutting them to size.

Quote Originally Posted by prydey View Post
    that's top of the list at the moment. currently don't have any. thinking of just getting 4 broom handles or something and cutting them to size.
    IMO gotta sort those before you go out in it again.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Road_Warrior For This Useful Post:

prydey (10th September 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by prydey View Post
    I'd rather keep the hand pump in case i ever have an issue with the 12v setup (flat battery, pump failure etc). that way, i would still have water. it works ok.

i have thought about fitting a third tap though and have all 3 separate to each other. funds are tight at the moment so i'll just monitor how it is for now, and if i need to fit an extra non return valve or 2 then i'll do that. apparently the internal ones in the 12v pump aren't ultra reliable long term.
    Fair enough. Although I'd suggest the battery will fail long before the Shur-Flo does.

What you could do is run the primary line to a flick mixer tap on the sink, but put a thumb screw-type tap in the line (plastic wing-nut shaped thing, I think it is a retic part) and a tee piece to your hand pump. That way you can have it blocked off all the time so your tap doesn't have to prime all the time and suck air, but you've still got the ability to use the hand pump if need be.

I don't use a non return valve in the line, the pressure switch in the pump takes care of all that.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213