Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carsguide: Ecoboost Mustang review.

If I had a spare $60K to throw down on a car it would either be the RS Focus or an Ecoboost Mustang.

The EB Mustang is an aftermarket wet dream, right off the bat I'd drop $10K down on new twin scroll turbo and manifold, intercooler, full exhaust, intercooler piping, injectors, fuel pump and a tune.

All the opposition to the EB Mustang is coming from the older crowd who were in their prime when the V8 was king of the castle.

I've had two V8 cars, one is a Clevo and honestly I don't really see specifically why it matters so much.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Franco Cozzo For This Useful Post:

flappist (5th June 2016)

Carsguide: Ecoboost Mustang review.

Not all V8 powered cars are the same. But if they don't do it for you then so be it. For me the EB mustang is nothing more than a substitute. Admitting a good one at that.

By the way I'm not sure about you but I'm in my prime now. I have owned some great 4, 6 & 8 cylinder, many forced induced. They all have their qualities but the v8's have been the most memorable in terms of ownership experience.
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

4Vman (5th June 2016),FTe217 (5th June 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    Yep, maybe even rename it Cougar. Differentiate the performance/V8 customer from the cosmetic/price sensitive ones
    are you saying the engine determines what the car is, rather than the shape etc? to me, a mustang is a mustang, regardless of engine.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to prydey For This Useful Post:

flappist (5th June 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
    If I had a spare $60K to throw down on a car it would either be the RS Focus or an Ecoboost Mustang.

The EB Mustang is an aftermarket wet dream, right off the bat I'd drop $10K down on new twin scroll turbo and manifold, intercooler, full exhaust, intercooler piping, injectors, fuel pump and a tune.

All the opposition to the EB Mustang is coming from the older crowd who were in their prime when the V8 was king of the castle.

I've had two V8 cars, one is a Clevo and honestly I don't really see specifically why it matters so much.
    Well I am one of that older crowd. Possibly the difference is that I work in IT and am used to complete technology backflips where things goes from leading edge to outmoded in a very short time regularly.
    I have also driven several million kilometres , much of it at high speed (I don't live in Victoria), so my thoughts on what is important in vehicle performance tends to point towards, speed, fuel economy/range, cornering, stopping, acceleration and driver ergonomics. I have almost no interest at all in badges, noises, stripes and body kits, former racing heritage and number of cylinders.

Some people just are uncomfortable when faced with change.......

P.S. Having actually driven a thousand odd kms in an EB some of it "enthusiastically" I can tell you it is not a show pony and will easily moon most performance commodores and falcons other than a few of the most recent high end models.
    A velocitatem terram

Google-Fu, the ancient snowflake art of knowing little, understanding less but believing anything they find on Google as the word of God.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to flappist For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (5th June 2016)

Small amount of irony here. The original Mustang concept car was a 4 cylinder....
    A velocitatem terram

Google-Fu, the ancient snowflake art of knowing little, understanding less but believing anything they find on Google as the word of God.

Quote Originally Posted by flappist View Post
    P.S. Having actually driven a thousand odd kms in an EB some of it "enthusiastically" I can tell you it is not a show pony and will easily moon most performance commodores and falcons other than a few of the most recent high end models.
    i know this thread is about the ecoboost, but there was a thought by some that the v8 mustang was a bit 'light' power wise with 'only' 300 odd kw. this is obviously after the rise in local power outputs over the last few years. oddly enough, in a recent test, the v8 mustang still managed a low 13sec 1/4, which is pretty handy and ample for 99% of the buying public. i did notice the gearing is shorter particularly in 3rd which would help. not sure on the final drive or weight of the car. its not all about peak numbers.

The EB Mustang is about the same in power, torque and weight as a B series XR6 turbo.
    A velocitatem terram

Hand up to Damo's older crowd group.
    Even in the Falcon heydays I bought 2 Laser Sports so I'm no V8 only minded.
    I've admired and considered I6T's countless times and have no worry re the EB as well.
    I drive a D4D Hilux as well lol.....
    Small engines have been taking over for years.
    I have my choice though and having the fortune of having a toy - I enjoy the note of an 8 hence my pick but I sure will be buying a pocket rocket sooner or later.
    EB Pony wouldn't be bad but probably more towards a RS style type.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Carsguide: Ecoboost Mustang review.

I also work, and operate a company in the information technology industry. As Tony alluded to constant change, whether that be technology or market driven is part of everyday life. That doesn't change my view that the EB is the lessor mustang of the two options we have , despite it being a potentially great car in isolation. That is not because it has 4 cylinders. It's because it offers less power, less brakes, and less tyre width and less mechanical and exhaust sound ( a personal preference ) than its V8 alternative. Sure it can be modified to be better. They all can be. I like powerful 4s and 6s. Particular those in smaller cars like the current RS etc and older cars like the 250 Cortina's and V6 Capri's. These cars are fun because they typically have a great power to weight ratio and can be more nibble and better balanced than many bigger V8 models. The mustang however isn't small, nor light for that matter. The smaller engine options have to work harder to propel them which tends to blunt their throttle response, and make them use more fuel. So much so that the economy savings between them and their larger engined siblings becomes minimal. I'm not anti- 4 pot Mustang, or Falcon for that matter by any stretch but given a choice I would take the larger engine option every time. That decision has nothing to do with my age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

4Vman (5th June 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by WASP View Post
    I also work, and operate a company in the information technology industry. As Tony alluded to constant change, whether that be technology or market driven is part of everyday life. That doesn't change my view that the EB is the lessor mustang of the two options we have , despite it being a potentially great car in isolation. That is not because it has 4 cylinders. It's because it offers less power, less brakes, and less tyre width and less mechanical and exhaust sound ( a personal preference ) than its V8 alternative. Sure it can be modified to be better. They all can be. I like powerful 4s and 6s. Particular those in smaller cars like the current RS etc and older cars like the 250 Cortina's and V6 Capri's. These cars are fun because they typically have a great power to weight ratio and can be more nibble and better balanced than many bigger V8 models. The mustang however isn't small, nor light for that matter. The smaller engine options have to work harder to propel them which tends to blunt their throttle response, and make them use more fuel. So much so that the economy savings between them and their larger engined siblings becomes minimal. I'm not anti- 4 pot Mustang, or Falcon for that matter by any stretch but given a choice I would take the larger engine option every time. That decision has nothing to do with my age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bingo, it really is as simple as that....

Like all lower spec models it simply allows Ford to capture sales in a broader range of segments including price sensitive ones.

In terms of engine configuration imagine a TT Ecoboost Coyote powered Mustang....

When you apply forced induction to any engine you get massive improvements but equally pound for pound there's no replacement for displacement when comparing identical induction methods.

Cylinder count is simply a means of multiplying displacement efficiently, sound track is an added bonus to those who look for more.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast