Thread: Mark Webber to retire from Racing

Mark Webber to retire from Racing

http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/10/14/...es-retirement/

Mark Webber is set to retire from racing at the conclusion of the current World Endurance Championship season.

The 40-year-old Australian will call time on his career three years after moving from Formula 1 to Porsche’s WEC team.

A seven-time grand prix winner, Webber added the WEC title to his resume last year alongside Brendon Hartley and Timo Bernhard.

The Queanbeyan native, however, remains without a Le Mans 24 Hours victory, finishing a best of second last season.

Webber will take up an ambassadorial role with Porsche after stepping out of his race seat.

“I have arrived where I belong,” Webber said in a statement.

“Porsche is the brand I always loved most and the one that suits me the best.

“I will miss the sheer speed, downforce and competition, but I want to leave on a high and I’m very much looking forward to my new tasks.

“It was a big change from Formula 1 to LMP1 and an entirely new experience. But it came at the right time for me.

“I found I liked sharing a car and the chemistry between Timo, Brendon and me is special and something I’ll always remember.

“It will be strange getting into the race car for the very last time in Bahrain but for now I will thoroughly enjoy every moment of the remaining races.”

Webber, Hartley and Bernhard head into this weekend’s Japanese WEC round fourth in the standings.
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TS50 For This Useful Post:

4Vman (14th October 2016),FTe217 (14th October 2016)

Its been great watching Webber, sad to see him stop, cause he was the main reason I took an interest in euro racing. He has had a pretty stellar career, my only disappointment is he didn't win the f1 championship, which I feel was more team politics then lack of ability. Why they never really backed him I'll never know. Great driver, good personality, good with fans, great team man which seem to be the exact opposite of the driver they backed. Seems being nice will only get u so far. Need to be a bit arrogant n full of ones self with a bit of arsehole thrown in

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrewforbes For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (17th October 2016),TS50 (16th October 2016)