Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS500 on thin ice.

RS500 on thin ice.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...ampaign=buffer

The super-hatch Ford Focus RS500 is on the verge of being canned because the business case for the model is looking weak.

Although the project hasnít yet been officially called off, sources only give the RS500 a 30% chance of making production.

Ford had been planning the RS500 with a power hike to near-390bhp, plus track-focused handling and more aggressive styling to sit above the hugely-successful 345bhp RS. Sightings of a test car (shown below) suggest the model's development was already underway.

However, the RS500 has run into a couple of obstacles, one of which is where the RS500 will fit in with Fordís other performance models - most notably the 410bhp Mustang 5.0 V8 GT and 526bhp Mustang Shelby GT350.

"It could be treading on other carsí toes," according to well-placed sources.

Overlap with the Mustangs is not such a problem for Ford Europe, which believes there is a market for both the RS500 and Mustang.

More at the lnk
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

Wow.......
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

However, the RS500 has run into a couple of obstacles, one of which is where the RS500 will fit in with Ford’s other performance models - most notably the 410bhp Mustang 5.0 V8 GT and 526bhp Mustang Shelby GT350.

"It could be treading on other cars’ toes," according to well-placed sources.

Overlap with the Mustangs is not such a problem for Ford Europe, which believes there is a market for both the RS500 and Mustang.

However, in the US it is understood to have put a question mark over the RS500 and whether Ford’s American dealer network wants the car.
    Right, so Ford restrict GT350 to NA but RS500, which will predominantly be a Euro product may not work in the US because it competes with GT350?

Under the ‘One Ford’ product development program, all Ford models, including those from Ford Performance, must comply with global legal standards so they can be sold all over the globe.
    Um, say what?

Despite all that are Ford potentially heading too far down a road with these models as hard edged track focused products?

Would it not be better to look at products that will punch with the euro's for tech and luxury as well as performance?
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

I tell you, here we go again already Ford making its decisions based purely on the US dealer network.
    Times are a changing hello.
    Haven't they just seen supporting other markets sales increase with RHD pony ?!
    Other export markets are NOT the same as US domestic market.
    It isn't just due to RS maybe taking sales from Pony but more so that Nth America are not big on hot hatchs ????
    In saying that I have seen how big Aftermarket parts/sales is for the WRX/STi market and similar, the sales are there for people who are NOT looking/interested in Pony.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

Randel (25th October 2016)

Just be cautious that like all media the context might be misleading.

I get suspicious when the media are confronted with comments like these then don't reply with the obvious.

Explain GT 350 getting through, or explain how a four door hatch hurts a two door coupe.

It doesn't sound right to me but if it is, Ford are in trouble.
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

Quote Originally Posted by HSE2 View Post
    Just be cautious that like all media the context might be misleading.

I get suspicious when the media are confronted with comments like these then don't reply with the obvious.

Explain GT 350 getting through, or explain how a four door hatch hurts a two door coupe.

It doesn't sound right to me but if it is, Ford are in trouble.
    If nothing more it raises the need to seek further clarification.

Most definitely there is some alarming oddity in those statements....

Oh for sure don't take every article as gospel but it sure does read along lines we have seen before.
    I'm sure were watching with open eyes but......
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.

The irony with this entire 'One Ford' program is as the world is shifting fast towards consumer first experiences - meaning the better a business creates relevant, meaningful and very personalized experiences to their consumers the greater the opportunity and growth. It seems Ford is trying to execute a one size fits all global consumer solution. Different countries, different cultures, different people have different needs. Taking a global approach was much needed years ago but the game has moved on already (where did time go? lol).

If I was an auto manufacture I would be working towards a method in which buyers, with some professional guidance could build their own cars digitally and have them shipped directly to them anywhere in the world. The dealerships would be converted to advanced customer experience centres where buyers can do things like see cars being made in real time and work with car stylists and engineers to create type of vehicles which suits their needs. Different countries and regions will have different rules or constraints, so buyers will only see what is available to them.

For this to happen Ford would need to build an advanced construction framework with a digital user interface designed to be modular and object oriented. Essentially this is a substantial series of elements and digitally controlled parameters which allow consumers to assemble and customize their cars digitally, knowing that each component will work with each other (engineering, safety and legally wise), and being able to predict the end user experience so the consumer gets to virtually experience what they have created before ordering. The framework would be replicated all over over the world to streamline delivery and meet customer demand. When Ford develop something new or change something for whatever reason it would be designed to be framework compatible so can rolled out globally. Upgrading of software related features (lets face it they are becoming more prominent now) would be done automatically and will not require the owner to make a service booking. That means, you could use your phone to update your software to include additional driver aids, more power etc, and the change is applied almost immediately.
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.
    Mustang enthusiast and current owner of a 1969 Mach 1 351 4V 4-barrel M-Code

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (25th October 2016),Randel (26th October 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by WASP View Post
    The irony with this entire 'One Ford' program is as the world is shifting fast towards consumer first experiences - meaning the better a business creates relevant, meaningful and very personalized experiences to their consumers the greater the opportunity and growth. It seems Ford is trying to execute a one size fits all global consumer solution. Different countries, different cultures, different people have different needs. Taking a global approach was much needed years ago but the game has moved on already (where did time go? lol).

If I was an auto manufacture I would be working towards a method in which buyers, with some professional guidance could build their own cars digitally and have them shipped directly to them anywhere in the world. The dealerships would be converted to advanced customer experience centres where buyers can do things like see cars being made in real time and work with car stylists and engineers to create type of vehicles which suits their needs. Different countries and regions will have different rules or constraints, so buyers will only see what is available to them.

For this to happen Ford would need to build an advanced construction framework with a digital user interface designed to be modular and object oriented. Essentially this is a substantial series of elements and digitally controlled parameters which allow consumers to assemble and customize their cars digitally, knowing that each component will work with each other (engineering, safety and legally wise), and being able to predict the end user experience so the consumer gets to virtually experience what they have created before ordering. The framework would be replicated all over over the world to streamline delivery and meet customer demand. When Ford develop something new or change something for whatever reason it would be designed to be framework compatible so can rolled out globally. Upgrading of software related features would be done automatically and will not require the owner to make a service booking.
    Well said.

It appears the Euro's and Asian car manufacturers have been the best at doing this.

I know i keep referencing Mercedes but they have hit the mark brilliantly with their ranges.

For a company outside the top 10 as a global entity (Ford are 6th, GM 3rd) they are outstanding at understanding and catering to smaller markets.

For a relatively "small" manufacturer like Mercedes to be able to do it you'd think larger companies like Ford and GM should be able to do it.

but the US based auto manufacturers really struggle to understand our market, (or any market outside the US for that matter).....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

WASP (25th October 2016)

yep some more good points Colville and Norm.
    One Ford is perfect for the bean counter company, made sense and arn't the share holders happy right now.
    Their opponents are offering "choice" whereas these guys are looking to reducing it.
    I'm fearing the worst - as Ian mentions be careful what you read but......
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

WASP (25th October 2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast