Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheels Drive Next Gen Commoodore

Wheels Drive Next Gen Commoodore

In an unexpected move, Holden has let us loose in a prototype of its next-generation, fully imported Commodore. And we’re allowed to write about it!
    WHAT IS IT?
    A “65 percent” prototype of the forthcoming, German-built 2018 Holden Commodore riding on GM’s all-new E2XX platform. It’s mostly the real vehicle minus several months worth of drivetrain, suspension and NVH development, and with not-quite-production plastics and a load of clever body cladding disguising its actual shape.
    WHY WE’RE TESTING IT?
    Because this car is beyond full circle for the Commodore – retreating back to its German roots, just like the 1978 original, but this time near-identical to its European brother in virtually all areas. Except one. At Australia’s insistence, the next-gen Holden Commodore/Opel Insignia has been engineered to feature a range-topping V6 AWD variant, which is what we’re driving here.

Full story
    https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/reviews...ototype-review

Nothing new here, they like it
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

Behold the Holden Citroenadore CX lol

I Think the AU has finally been eclipsed!
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

383gxl (26th October 2016),FTe217 (26th October 2016),imike1 (5th November 2016),Randel (26th October 2016),Red F6310 (26th October 2016),TS50 (26th October 2016)

http://www.caradvice.com.au/492335/2...headline-range

Despite its launch being almost a year-and-a-half away, CarAdvice has been behind the wheel of the 2018 Holden Commodore and can now bring you the full details.

Holden allowed CarAdvice, along with a handful of Australian motoring media, into the depths of the company’s design centre to outline the 2018 Holden Commodore, which is due to arrive locally in February 2018.

In the history of the company, there has never been such early access to a new car program, especially one shared with Europe.

2018 Holden Commodore to share platform and components with Opel Insignia and to sit on E2XX architecture
    2.0-litre four-cylinder turbocharged petrol and diesel engines, front-wheel drive for bulk of range
    230kW/370Nm all-wheel-drive 3.6-litre V6 to power top sports model (SS Commodore replacement), mated to nine-speed automatic transmission
    Two variants to launch locally — a Sportback (hatchback) and Sportwagon (station wagon), to be around 200-300kg lighter than Commodore
    All-wheel drive system to feature torque vectoring and twin-clutch rear differential and adaptive suspension, shared with Ford Focus RS
    Huge Australian engineering program, with Australian team involved in global buy off drives
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

Holden have rocks in their heads if they insist on calling this Commodore.

At least Ford had the common sense to retire Falcon.
    I'm in love with my car. Got a feel for my automobile.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paxton For This Useful Post:

4Vman (26th October 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Paxton View Post

Agree, this isnt a Commodore.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    Agree, this isnt a Commodore.
    Nope.

The Bogans want V8, Manual and RWD. This thing is none of those. That being said, at least they get a performance vehicle...

I did read somewhere that the Holden 'engineers' had been working on this for approximately 5 years, which strikes me as odd, as Holden only announced they were pulling out after Ford.
    I'm in love with my car. Got a feel for my automobile.

Precisely. It's a disgrace to the Commodore nameplate.
    "You might not notice them, but those few standing proud are the reason some can stand at all."

It does seem like a risk of sorts to be continuing to participate in a space that allegedly is shrinking with a product that for the most part is polar opposite to the current version that has defied the trend and kept selling well.

Ballsy move.

I did read somewhere that the Holden 'engineers' had been working on this for approximately 5 years, which strikes me as odd, as Holden only announced they were pulling out after Ford.
    Not really odd. They might have been developing it to build locally but thats now changed. Doesn't mean the development work goes to waste as it can be produced elsewhere.

Nope.

The Bogans want V8, Manual and RWD. This thing is none of those. That being said, at least they get a performance vehicle...
    230kW/370Nm all-wheel-drive 3.6-litre V6 to power top sports model (SS Commodore replacement), mated to nine-speed automatic transmission

I wouldn't actually call this a performance vehicle, a long was of a 304kW/570nM SS they have now, even if coupled to a 9 speed gearbox and being 200kgs lighter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast