Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Whats new ?

Quote Originally Posted by dash gt View Post
    That Berger jet dry is useless.

I spent 3k on getting my garage epoxied while building last year and it failed, currently have the guy back re doing it and what a nightmare. Hopefully round 2 has a better run!

Got a lot of experience with floor coatings.

Jet Dry is fine if you do 2 things:

1) Ensure you have no sub slab moisture issues

2) Ensure you Acid Etch the concrete properly first

Most floor coatings fail for 1 or both of the above issues.

If you have moisture ingression (hydraulic action) in your slab no amount of painting or sealing will work.

To test leave a piece of plastic on the slab, if you get dampness under it after a few days you've got an issue.

Also white powder or residue on the surface or under a peeling coating (efflorescence) is the result of the same thing.

you have to eliminate the moisture source first and seal it from the point of moisture entry not exit. In the case of an existing slab only drainage is an option.

Secondly steel troweled slabs are slippery, the paint wont stick to that smooth surface, you need to etch it or roughen it up.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

13726548 (12th December 2017),dash gt (12th December 2017),Randel (12th December 2017)

Spot on Mr Norm.
    I had feck all moisture coming out of the slab, this garage has hardly been used I mentioned, top was quite clean/free of grease etc.
    Foundations etc is dry as, quite clay based, I could tell they had built this quite well.
    My slab actually has around its perimeter a 2" gap to the walls that is like a drainage/aggline done for retaining walls etc. I like that thought just in case.
    Upon giving it a great gurnie clean first then I acid etched it.
    Let it dry a couple of days.
    Then painted a tester 6-8" line entirely across till dry next day.
    Its all in the prep Dash - I reckon I'm a ok.

All the best with your repair - thats a right royal PIA, especially when having to pay for it.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

4Vman (12th December 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    Got a lot of experience with floor coatings.

Jet Dry is fine if you do 2 things:

1) Ensure you have no sub slab moisture issues

2) Ensure you Acid Etch the concrete properly first

Most floor coatings fail for 1 or both of the above issues.

If you have moisture ingression (hydraulic action) in your slab no amount of painting or sealing will work.

To test leave a piece of plastic on the slab, if you get dampness under it after a few days you've got an issue.

Also white powder or residue on the surface or under a peeling coating (efflorescence) is the result of the same thing.

you have to eliminate the moisture source first and seal it from the point of moisture entry not exit. In the case of an existing slab only drainage is an option.

Secondly steel troweled slabs are slippery, the paint wont stick to that smooth surface, you need to etch it or roughen it up.
    Spot on Norm.... We had to do all that and then some...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 13726548 For This Useful Post:

4Vman (12th December 2017)

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021