Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: 2017 - F1 (may contain spoliers)

Bottas to remain at MB for 2018

http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/09/13/...second-season/

Mercedes renews Bottas for second season
    Speedcafe.com
    By SPEEDCAFE.COM
    WEDNESDAY 13TH SEPTEMBER, 2017 - 9:30PM
    SHARE:

Valtteri Bottas will continue as team-mate to Lewis Hamilton in 2018
    Valtteri Bottas will continue to race for Mercedes in 2018, the team has announced.
    The Finn was a late call-up to the Silver Arrows after the shock retirement of then newly crowned world champion Nico Rosberg.
    His deal at the time was only for a single year, and that has been repeated under his new contract at the Brackley squad.
    “I am honoured and proud to continue to work with Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport in 2018 and to remain part of the Mercedes family,” said Bottas.
    “Since joining the team in January, I’ve enjoyed every day working with them. The welcome and the support from every team member and all the fans has been invaluable.
    “As a driver, I’ve been able to learn and grow massively, and we have already enjoyed some really good moments this season that I will never forget.
    “Partnering Lewis (Hamilton) has also been really good, and I’m enjoying the respect we have and the will to push this team forward together.
    “When the team hired me for the 2017 season, they took a leap of faith by putting their trust in my skills. This new contract for 2018 shows that I’ve earned that trust.
    “I’m happy to have celebrated my first race wins in a Silver Arrow. However, there’s always room for improvement and I still have not shown my full potential.
    “I will continue to work hard on and off the track, to further improve my driving, get even better results and show that putting their trust in me was the right decision.”
    The 28-year-old is currently third in the world drivers’ championship, behind Hamilton and Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel, having secured his first two Formula 1 race wins and first two poles this year.
    Mercedes boss Toto Wolff says the extension is a just reward for Bottas’ progress this year.
    “We gave Valtteri a big challenge this year: joining the team at the eleventh hour, stepping up to the forefront of F1 and pairing with the sport’s best driver as his team-mate,” noted Wolff.
    “With that in mind, his results have been probably even more impressive.
    “There have been ups and downs – more ups, fewer downs – and some great highlights like his two race wins in Russia and Austria.
    “Overall, the balance of his performances and his upward trajectory made it a no-brainer for us to continue with him into 2018.”
    The timing of the contract does, however, mean that both of Mercedes’ drivers and Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen will come off contract at the same time as Daniel Ricciardo.
    Ricciardo has stated in recent days that Red Bull Racing must improve significantly to keep him beyond his current deal, which expires at the end of 2018.
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

no brainer.
    Sure does make things interesting come mid '18 in driver shifts for '19on.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

TS50 (14th September 2017)

SGP quali last night.
    I do find it strange watching the game at night - wonders what the drivers think.
    Some great rear camera angles of the cars pushing the limits just touching walls.
    RB are on it fellas.
    I actually thought Max was going to get pole then again Kimi was pulling some times as well.
    DR close but pettel pulls out a screamer gaining pole.
    pettel Max front row lol......
    DR Kimi 2nd.
    MB 3rd row
    Alonso 4th row his team mate behind. Making Q3 for the 3rd time this season just when they announced the Renault change haha
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by FTe217 View Post
    Making Q3 for the 3rd time this season just when they announced the Renault change haha
    only at non power circuits, and they still fail to make full power for an entire GP.

As the biggest engine manufacturer in the world, Honda has surprised a few people with their lack of progress over 3 years. At least they have re committed to the sport so that there remains 4 power unit suppliers for the next few years.

cracker lap by vettel. I'm sure his only other fan (his mum, according to this site) enjoyed it as well. Hopefully he can go on to win, and keep both redbulls and kimi between himself and Hamilton.

I know Rob, I just fill in breifly for the guys who don't watch it anymore.
    Your right about Honda, its very very surprising them not working things out - knowing how involved and determined they are re 2wheels baffles me.
    Their honour would be suffering here - I really hope they sort themselves out in the future.

Looking forward to this race but already stressing anything can happen - fingers crossed.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.

Wet start. This will likely make red bull untouchable. Not sure if the rain is likely to stick around.

wow, i am glad dan missed the start, if he had got a good one, he would have been involved too
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

Quote Originally Posted by TS50 View Post
    wow, i am glad dan missed the start, if he had got a good one, he would have been involved too
    Strategy....

My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

apart from turn 1 lap 1, pretty boring race
    Surprised at lack of pace from Dan, or was it pace from Hamilton no one was expecting
    Dan definitely had no answers for the pace of the PRatt, tho he had Bottas covered easily

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TS50 For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (18th September 2017),Futura (18th September 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by TS50 View Post
    Surprised at lack of pace from Dan,
    apparently he was nursing a gearbox problem for the entire race, although he refused to say that cost him victory. he did say that the conditions for the race were quite a bit different to friday and saturday and if they'd had a different setup he would have been more competitive.

DR: Yeah, that was probably the most frustrating thing. I mean frustrating not to get that first win here. I think it’s three years in a row with second now. Normally I’m happy with a podium, obviously it’s great. It’s more that we didn't have the pace that we showed on Friday in the long run. We just struggled to look after the tyres. Just felt like when I was able to punch out a good lap time, I couldn’t really maintain it, where Lewis could answer and then answer again. So it felt like every time we matched his pace we were taking more out of the tyre. We had a couple of little issues as well. I had to manage the car in some situations with the gearbox and that, but ultimately I don’t think it changed the shape of the race. I don’t think that was the reason we were second and not first. I have an idea, if we were to do the race again, how to set up the car differently. I feel something we did on the car it would have helped if we went the other way for how the track conditions were, but it was fun nonetheless, you know the beginning, never going around here really in the wet. As Lewis touched on, the lines are so slippery. Even the painted lines that are black, they don’t seem like they are line but they are underneath the dark paint and the car kind of slides, grips, slides, grips and just really tricky, Just I guess still happy to come away with a podium. It’s not a win but I’ll be grateful and still happy with second.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to prydey For This Useful Post:

TS50 (18th September 2017)

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast