Thread: Bernie Ecclestone has been dismissed as F1 CEO

Bernie Ecclestone has been dismissed as F1 CEO

http://en.f1i.com/news/87389-ecclest...ed-f1-ceo.html

Bernie Ecclestone has been dismissed as F1 CEO
    By Phillip van Osten, 23/01/2017 at 19:10 F1 Business, F1 news,

German website Auto, Motor und Sport is reporting that 86-year-old Bernie Ecclestone was dismissed on Monday as the CEO of Formula 1.

While an official confirmation has yet to be released, the news follows a logical paper trail.

Reports have been gathering steam lately over the impending exit of the man who steered Grand Prix racing for over four decades and built the sport into a financial powerhouse.

Auto, Motor und Sport spoke with Ecclestone on Monday who confirmed the news from his office at Princes Gate.

"I do not run the company anymore," Ecclestone said.

"I am simply gone. I was deposed today, this is official. My position has been taken over by Chase Carey."

Carey would therefore take on the roles of both chairman and CEO of the Formula One Group.

Formula One Group initiates board shake-up
    As speculated, Ecclestone was offered an honorary post of president, although it's unclear what the job description may entail, if anything.

"My new position is one of those American expressions. A kind of honorary president. I have this title without knowing what it really means," Ecclestone said.

It is believed that Ecclestone will continue to reside at Princes Gate, but dealings with race organizers and TV stations will be made by others in the future.

The Formula One Group is allegedly in the process of building up a team to take over the former supremo's responsibilities.

Former ESPN executive Sean Bratches has been approached for a senior executive role while Ross Brawn could be lined up to steer F1's future on the sporting side.

"My days in the office are getting a bit calmer now," Ecclestone concluded.

"Maybe I'll come to a Grand Prix. I still have lot of friends in Formula 1. And I still have enough money to visit to a race. "

And even enough money to visit two, Bernie.
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TS50 For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (25th January 2017)

Bernie, you've had a great innings, but its time:

My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Fantastic news. This is exactly what the sport needed.

Ecclestone was running it like a Kingdom, and was so out of touch with the fans.

Please please bring back re-fueling...
    Deutschland, Deutschland über alles
    Volkswagen Number 3 - Passat Alltrack 130TDi

Long overdue just as any reign - despite his major flaws as time went by I have to say he done good during his early to mid tenure but as seen by his last quotes " And I still have enough money to visit to a race. " it all got to his fugly head big time.

I do have concerns of this yanky taking the ownership in the future - no matter his quoting on preserving the past I hope it doesn't turn into a gridiron/basketball/baseball type of american influence show. Sure introducing another US event a good idea and will be as such but if he implements yanky style across the board woe me !
    The announcement of Ross Brawn back in must say is a HUGE bonus good appointment.
    Have read he wishs to bring back "racing" - yes please Ross.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

Paxton (25th January 2017),TS50 (25th January 2017)

Just Arrived
    He served us well but it is time for a change. Brawn already looks promising!

Still nobody could ever replace Bernie, his controversial moments alone https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/berni...ersies?76542rh

I enjoyed his time in the sport but agree overdue a change!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rachelm For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (1st February 2017)

Welcome rachelm.
    Agree as mentioned - Bernie sure had done well - just as food use by date the same goes for CEO's etcetc.....
    They are visionaries, builders and Bernie had a good grasp on this as a business model, prior it very niche and as always expensive.
    He opened FTA - enticed huge company sponserships etcetc.
    As in your good link provided he became too much of a dictator as normally happens - motogp has had a similar problem nowadays re Dorna and Ezpeleta but another subject.
    The Brawn appointment I'm really enthusiastic about - I hope he is given the room and support to improve the competition through the field.
    MB won't like it but just as Ferrari int heir dominate days they have the resource to figure it out and be front runners.
    2017 may not see everything that I hope seeing but 2018 should be very promising.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.