Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh Dear :( Mustang 2-Star crash rating

I agree that I am not sure this is as bad as it appears. The speed of the airbag deployment would be my biggest issue.

You can throw the rear seats out, should be a delete option and yes, in our market when you have these safety aids in cars that cost 40k, as a company statement it needs to be consistant.

I see they have heavily penalised Ford for not having Auto up on those windows.
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HSE2 For This Useful Post:

4Vman (26th January 2017),defective (25th January 2017),jpd80 (26th January 2017)

(though this week’s result stems from new, more stringent testing criteria than many other vehicles tested in earlier years.)
    Well u move the bloody goal posts, so of course the safety rating will change. But it sounds like Ford need to make some tech safety features standard on all stangs, which they should of done in this day n age. Improve air bag inflation, but is that the manufacturers of the car problem or air bag supplier

4. The Following User Says Thank You to andrewforbes For This Useful Post:

Randel (26th January 2017)

Validated User
    Good point, these results require context in relation to the different scoring process
    as compared to US based NHTSA and IIHS where the mustang scores fve stars.

The Euro system is far more Family car and SUV oriented and does not take into consideration
    the uniqueness of sports coupe design where rear passenger occupancy is generally lower.

Still not good but reveals why US companies just can't copy/paste NHTSA IIHS results on NCAP,
    they are all very different adding to the complexity of global conformance and acceptable results.

If i didn't know better I day that meeting NCAP and RHD were baked in early in the development
    process with insufficient attention given over to detail and future regulation moves. It's clear that
    this mode Mustang was designed for NCAP in two years ago land, not last years updated scoring.

Validated User
    Ultimately, it's the manufacturer's responsibility to ensure compliance with regulations and
    achieving good crash scores - that means staying in front of regulation and not continually
    playing catch up.

A balanced approach is needed here just like when IHS small overlap testing was all the rage
    a couple of years back, many vehicles were caught out when magazines made a big deal over
    some scary results but then manufacturers responded and reporters moved on..

Really need to see what some cars that were 5 star on the old system would score with the new ancap.
    Wasn't too long ago fg was considered the safest second hand car on the market, but I'm guessing it would also score a very low score in the new system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
    In the words of a wise man: if you don't read the papers you're uninformed, if you do read the papers you're misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by HSE2 View Post
    I see they have heavily penalised Ford for not having Auto up on those windows.
    Auto up??
    2016 Mustang GT Fastback, Deep Impact Blue, 6 speed Auto w/flappy paddles, Magnaflow twin 3" Exhaust, Vogtland Springs.

No one who is actually going to buy a Mustang will give a rats arse about any of this bullshit.

Of course there will be a lot if social media whinging but these are the same sort of dickheads who screamed about the fuel economy of HSVs and FPVs.
    A velocitatem terram

Google-Fu, the ancient snowflake art of knowing little, understanding less but believing anything they find on Google as the word of God.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/car...ests/84775394/

Mustang outperforms Camaro, Challenger in crash test
    Greg Gardner , Detroit Free Press Published 12:03 a.m. ET May 24, 2016 | Updated 11:34 a.m. ET May 25, 2016

The Ford Mustang performed slightly better than rival muscle cars Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Challenger in a series of crash tests conducted recently by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

While none of the three earned the institute's Top Safety Pick, which requires good or better ratings in five crashworthiness tests, the Mustang came closest.

The Camaro fell short in one category and lacks an available front crash prevention system, also known as forward collision avoidance warning. Tests found Challenger to be "most in need of improvement."

"Given that sports cars have high crash rates, it's especially important that they offer the best occupant protection possible in a crash," said Adrian Lund, IIHS president.

This was the first time the institute compared these three models. Muscle cars as a group have the highest losses among passenger vehicles for crash damage repairs under collision coverage, according to data from the Highway Loss Data Institute.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

flappist (26th January 2017),Futura (26th January 2017)

So I spoke to my mum today n the first thing she's says is the mustang got a bad crash rating. I explained to her the context in which it should be seen. But I doubt many would actually read that far. It seem as though our local paper the advertiser printed the story.
    After all the good things Ford has achieved since closing the plant here and don't get mentioned but one bit of bad publicity n it's printed straight away. N it's probably on the front page with a basic headline. Hell it took them a few days just tell us frosty won the championship.
    But that's what ya get for living in a Holden state

13. The Following User Says Thank You to andrewforbes For This Useful Post:

383gxl (27th January 2017)

Please let me know if I can answer any questions you have about this, we are more than happy to answer anything to the best of our knowledge.

We consider Mustang a very safe vehicle.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast