Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battery thread

When we go camping I use a car battery I pulled from my old beemer, plus a super cheap solar trickle charger.

Our lighting is pretty basic, pretty much just use a led flood lamp which lights up the area perfect.

Haven't run out of juice yet.

Like you, I'm planning a battery box on the front of my trailer. Should be pretty effective, I'm hoping to be able to power a small fridge from it for that added luxury haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
    In the words of a wise man: if you don't read the papers you're uninformed, if you do read the papers you're misinformed.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to defective For This Useful Post:

prydey (27th March 2017)

Like to share a bit of experience, albeit narrow of range! I've been using Optimate battery chargers/top up chargers for over 10 years. I started using these things on all my cars and two motorbikes (Suzuki trail bike and Ducati road bike, both 12V) after a REALLY inconvenient run of failures in batteries. Murphy's law reigned supreme for a good two years and my batteries failed every which way but loose. I got jack of it finally and did the research hard yards to work out a way to put an end to my car/bike starting purgatory.

VERY long story short I decided to buy a few battery chargers and try them out. Research was one thing but everyone on the web had a different story and preference and there was too much conflicting opinion/reviews to be sure which was not going to let me down and last a good time. Again, LONG story short, I had a couple fail and a few work OK but there was ONE and ONE only that ticked all the boxes for both car and bikes. Optimate is the brand and I now use an Optimate 4 on each of the bikes and an Optimate 6 on each of the cars.

They were a bit over $100 each so I got one per vehicle and they've been an excellent value for money investment since. I have not had a single hint of battery problems since using them. Every vehicle gets plugged in every night or any time they sit in the garage. The can sit connected for MONTHS on end, trickle charging OR just overnight. Where they seem to have the advantage over the competition is in their 'smarts'. They have incredible electronics that are ultra sensitive to overcharging and can reliably bring a battery back from the brink and actively work on it to ensure it is virtually as good as new. Many claim this but I didn't see it in my testing - only in the Optimate. Optimate has no user settings(!) but plenty of lights to inform what's happening. So it is plug-and-play with no concerns if you have the settings right - all done for you which is definitely what I need and want. The damn things are so much smarter than I am and I have absolute confidence each charger knows what it is doing. Wouldn't hesitate for a moment in recommending them to anyone who wants to ensure they are never troubled or inconvenienced again with battery issues. They're an English product which I'm not usually enamoured with but when the rubber hits the road these things deliver. Hope this helps someone! I don't have any affiliation with the company whatsoever, just an extremely happy customer. Just so great to use a product for over 10 years, EVERY single day, and never have it let you down.
    - Winter White XR6 Sprint #141 with 3M Carbon tint & Koya SF-06 19" silver machined-face rims; original PZeros -

Quote Originally Posted by Falco View Post
    Like to share a bit of experience, albeit narrow of range! I've been using Optimate battery chargers/top up chargers for over 10 years. I started using these things on all my cars and two motorbikes (Suzuki trail bike and Ducati road bike, both 12V) after a REALLY inconvenient run of failures in batteries. Murphy's law reigned supreme for a good two years and my batteries failed every which way but loose. I got jack of it finally and did the research hard yards to work out a way to put an end to my car/bike starting purgatory.

VERY long story short I decided to buy a few battery chargers and try them out. Research was one thing but everyone on the web had a different story and preference and there was too much conflicting opinion/reviews to be sure which was not going to let me down and last a good time. Again, LONG story short, I had a couple fail and a few work OK but there was ONE and ONE only that ticked all the boxes for both car and bikes. Optimate is the brand and I now use an Optimate 4 on each of the bikes and an Optimate 6 on each of the cars.

They were a bit over $100 each so I got one per vehicle and they've been an excellent value for money investment since. I have not had a single hint of battery problems since using them. Every vehicle gets plugged in every night or any time they sit in the garage. The can sit connected for MONTHS on end, trickle charging OR just overnight. Where they seem to have the advantage over the competition is in their 'smarts'. They have incredible electronics that are ultra sensitive to overcharging and can reliably bring a battery back from the brink and actively work on it to ensure it is virtually as good as new. Many claim this but I didn't see it in my testing - only in the Optimate. Optimate has no user settings(!) but plenty of lights to inform what's happening. So it is plug-and-play with no concerns if you have the settings right - all done for you which is definitely what I need and want. The damn things are so much smarter than I am and I have absolute confidence each charger knows what it is doing. Wouldn't hesitate for a moment in recommending them to anyone who wants to ensure they are never troubled or inconvenienced again with battery issues. They're an English product which I'm not usually enamoured with but when the rubber hits the road these things deliver. Hope this helps someone! I don't have any affiliation with the company whatsoever, just an extremely happy customer. Just so great to use a product for over 10 years, EVERY single day, and never have it let you down.
    Who stocks them? I need a decent charger for my panelvan now that's it's almost a garage queen.
    In the words of a wise man: if you don't read the papers you're uninformed, if you do read the papers you're misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
    Interesting! At first I thought this was some sort of elaborate scam but no, it's real. I wonder how well the salt water battery performs compared with Li batteries. Their 2.6kwH battery unit costs $2,000.
    Spoke to a bloke in Toowoomba who uses these in installations for off the grid stuff. He said they are about 10% dearer than glass matt, however they last a whole lot longer and you can dump the charge completely without losing the battery, like a glass mat.
    His house is up there out of town and off the grid. He has a dozen of these things, solar, 3kva genset and a small wind turbine. Wife four kids under 12. Does not run out of power.
    BAII RTV A Farmers Rocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
    Spoke to a bloke in Toowoomba who uses these in installations for off the grid stuff. He said they are about 10% dearer than glass matt, however they last a whole lot longer and you can dump the charge completely without losing the battery, like a glass mat.
    His house is up there out of town and off the grid. He has a dozen of these things, solar, 3kva genset and a small wind turbine. Wife four kids under 12. Does not run out of power.
    Trouble is I see from their website they have entered Chapter 11 bankruptcy in the US...with a view to disposal of the company's assets.
    "You might not notice them, but those few standing proud are the reason some can stand at all."

Quote Originally Posted by defective View Post
    Who stocks them? I need a decent charger for my panelvan now that's it's almost a garage queen.
    Defective, I dealt with a guy called Steve who was very knowledgeable and very helpful. I think he runs the distributorship on his own so sometimes he sounds a bit under the pump but a great guy and free with his time (when he has some!) They're primarily setup for bikes but the Optimate chargers are equally good for cars - Steve can explain and much on the website. Contact details are:

Moto-Tech Diagnostics (07) 3385 7977 (0405) 548 757 (mobile) sales@mototechdiagnostics.com.au www.mototechdiagnostics.com.au
    - Winter White XR6 Sprint #141 with 3M Carbon tint & Koya SF-06 19" silver machined-face rims; original PZeros -

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Falco For This Useful Post:

defective (28th March 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Falco View Post
    Defective, I dealt with a guy called Steve who was very knowledgeable and very helpful. I think he runs the distributorship on his own so sometimes he sounds a bit under the pump but a great guy and free with his time (when he has some!) They're primarily setup for bikes but the Optimate chargers are equally good for cars - Steve can explain and much on the website. Contact details are:

Moto-Tech Diagnostics (07) 3385 7977 (0405) 548 757 (mobile) sales@mototechdiagnostics.com.au www.mototechdiagnostics.com.au
    Legend, thank you

Be careful anyone with cars which sit around on float charge all day every day for months:

https://www.worksafe.vic.gov.au/__da...plosionsv3.pdf

This applies to diesel generators but lead acid car batteries sitting for months on float charge do the same thing, especially the maintenence free ones.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Franco Cozzo For This Useful Post:

Burnout (29th March 2017),defective (29th March 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
    Be careful anyone with cars which sit around on float charge all day every day for months:

https://www.worksafe.vic.gov.au/__da...plosionsv3.pdf

This applies to diesel generators but lead acid car batteries sitting for months on float charge do the same thing, especially the maintenence free ones.
    Well spotted Frank - very good article. It was one of my greatest fears when I started using the constant top-up type of charger on my bikes and cars well over a decade ago. Prior to that I used the old ones from the 1970's which just CHARGED and had no sense about if they were overcharging. I was VERY sceptical these newfangled intelligent ones could possible know when and when NOT to charge. I was worried about explosions bringing or burning down the garage and house. I researched like there was no tomorrow and really took my time before committing to any particular type. A mate of mine who knows a lot about these sorts of things guided me and he had the tools to check the batteries I was playing with over about 6 months. I bought a number of chargers and set them up and gave each one at least a good month of on and off trickle charge. I then had my scientist buddy test the batteries with his complex looking tools and together we came to our conclusions. By a clear margin the Optimate machine was the winner. It ticked every single box we wanted to tick: (in no particular order here) :1) easy to use, as it has no settings 2) could do good things to a seemingly fully dead battery and not only get it to start a motor but be returned to full good health (desulphating property) 3) reasonable cost 4) didn't get anywhere near alarmingly hot under pressure 5) a good pedigree from a reputable manufacturer with a history 6) unanimously good reviews on the web from all sources not just marketing 7) repeatable outcomes in testing 8) consistent outcomes in testing 9) does precisely what is says on the box (shows consistency of intent) There may have been other parameters but I can't recall as it was a while ago.

I was just so, so, SO sick of being let down and inconvenienced (majorly at times) by flat and deceased batteries over the years I felt that any amount of time spent discerning the best and most reliable battery charge/trickle charger available would be time well spent. Indeed it was, all considered, and I now know with certainty that my battery trouble days are well and truly behind me. Not a single issue in over 10 years now. I'm sure my electricity bills are fractionally higher but I know without doubt that if a vehicle of mine does not start then it is something other than a battery issue!

I was not prepared to use a trickle charger unless I knew, FOR MYSELF, that it met the above to my satisfaction and was shown in testing and reputation to be 100% safe. For a scientist, even my mate was impressed with the amount of detail and testing I was prepared to do on this. At the time I had people saying it wasn't worth my time - just buy a new charger if one dies. Well, more than one died. When I got to the end of testing, TWO clear winners were obvious. The oxford Maximizer 360T alongside the Optimate had cleared the decks with the other chargers. Alas, I killed two Oxford maximisers in the testing time. They are very pretty units with an impressive GUI. There were also some web reports of them going belly up so together with my experience we eliminated them from the field. The Optimate stood with its 100% score intact and I invested in one for each vehicle, along with heavily recommending them to all of my friends and family. They truly are an extremely well-resolved machine. They are the only device I will trust to trickle charge my machines at any time - and importantly - when I'm away for 2 weeks on a holiday. They trickle away all the time and I have ultimate faith they know what they are doing and will power down at the first sign of trouble. They are very sensitive so they can spot trouble before it becomes real trouble. Just amazing things, really.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12