Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So very sad.

Validated User

So very sad.

Guys/ girls, I popped in to my local Ford Dealer, to arrange some parts for the cars. Routine service items.
    Outside in the car park, covered in dust, sat an FPV GT, looking neglected & unwanted.
    I enquired as to why the car was sitting there, in that state, the Service Manager informed me, that the car was towed in to the dealer to get the clutch replaced.
    The owner of the car, has since passed away, his parents cannot afford to pay for the repairs, & it looks like the car will be sold off to cover the cost of repairs,, &/ or storage fees.
    A waste of a car, so very sad to see.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to project 064 For This Useful Post:

Burnout (9th March 2017),FTe217 (9th March 2017),Perko (9th March 2017),Road_Warrior (9th March 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by project 064 View Post
    Guys/ girls, I popped in to my local Ford Dealer, to arrange some parts for the cars. Routine service items.
    Outside in the car park, covered in dust, sat an FPV GT, looking neglected & unwanted.
    I enquired as to why the car was sitting there, in that state, the Service Manager informed me, that the car was towed in to the dealer to get the clutch replaced.
    The owner of the car, has since passed away, his parents cannot afford to pay for the repairs, & it looks like the car will be sold off to cover the cost of repairs,, &/ or storage fees.
    A waste of a car, so very sad to see.
    Where was this, Range Ford?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Road_Warrior For This Useful Post:

project 064 (9th March 2017)

Validated User
    Quote Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
    Where was this, Range Ford?
    Yep.

Yep.
    If the owner passed away, surely it becomes the property of the person's estate?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Road_Warrior For This Useful Post:

Burnout (9th March 2017),Randel (9th March 2017)

Validated User
    Is there any reason why the dealer will not allow the family to sell the car to cover the costs?

I think that it is a little insensitive to hold a dead person's car and then charge the family for costs of storage. Maybe the dealer has already tried to come to a resolution. Maybe the family doesn't care?

Taking the car out of the equation, surely the dealer would have some sort of flexibility here considering the circumstances.

All items of value become the responsibility of the Executor/s of the deceased Estate.
    They should instigate retrieval for probate.
    BAII RTV A Farmers Rocket.

Validated User
    I am not too sure guys, the people I spoke to were very upset about the whole situation, possibly the car will be sold, minus costs of repairs.
    I am confused about why the repairs were not paid for, but I know for a fact, when my father passed away, his account was frozen until all claimants against his estate had been given the opportunity to claim.
    Maybe Randel, or Road_ Warrior can enlighten me.

I am not too sure guys, the people I spoke to were very upset about the whole situation, possibly the car will be sold, minus costs of repairs.
    I am confused about why the repairs were not paid for, but I know for a fact, when my father passed away, his account was frozen until all claimants against his estate had been given the opportunity to claim.
    Maybe Randel, or Road_ Warrior can enlighten me.
    Correct, in the absence of an executor of the person's estate, or a will of any form, the Public Trustee becomes the executor of the deceased's estate by default and any claimants to that estate must do so through the Public Trustee. If this is the case, then the dealer is holding the car unlawfully and if I was the late man's family I would be talking to a lawyer. Or the Public Trustee at a minimum

But have the repairs been paid for?
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Validated User
    Nope, believe me, they don't want the car on the premises, if anything happens to it, they could be liable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast