Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49

Thread: Keeping your ZF cool

  1. #21
    Miami Sprint. 4Vman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    18,949
    Quote Originally Posted by prydey View Post
    ha, thats the same guy who goes on a scare mongering mission on every thread on the topic on AFF. quotes all his official ZF correspondence and results from monitoring his own cars temps over the years.

    i have nothing against people bypassing the factory system, but i do think its a case of scaremongering making people feel that if they don't do a bypass, their car will DEFINITELY fail, which isn't true.
    Yep and this is the issue, strong personalities skewing reality.

    The bypass might create other abnormal issues or wear rates, who knows? He wont because its never been tested, so nobody can claim its a good solution or not.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

  2. #22
    Rob prydey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Woodcroft S.A.
    Posts
    3,829
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    The bypass might create other abnormal issues or wear rates, who knows? He wont because its never been tested, so nobody can claim its a good solution or not.
    to be fair, the percentage of people who have bypassed the coolant is a lot higher than the failure rate, due to people 'jumping the gun' so to speak. there are very few, if any, reports of issues after many many combined km's travelled by these people. i certainly haven't read of any issues, and some members have travelled over 100000km with an air/oil cooler.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to prydey For This Useful Post:

    Road_Warrior (10th March 2017)

  4. #23
    Miami Sprint. 4Vman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    18,949
    Quote Originally Posted by prydey View Post
    to be fair, the percentage of people who have bypassed the coolant is a lot higher than the failure rate, due to people 'jumping the gun' so to speak. there are very few, if any, reports of issues after many many combined km's travelled by these people. i certainly haven't read of any issues, and some members have travelled over 100000km with an air/oil cooler.
    Im not saying it wont work, im just saying its an unknown risk.

    Dont do this.

    There is a reason why they used a combined unit, and putting an external air cooled unit you are just asking for premature wear on the gearbox due to it running way to cold (especially the ZF)

    Just get a new PWR radiator with the combined heat exchanger, wont milkshake on those as they are double skinned and its a factory fit as well.
    Sounds like a PWR factory spec heat exchanger might be the best compromise if you're paranoid.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

  5. #24
    Validated User Road_Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In the cockpit. Cruisin' mah hood
    Posts
    5,332
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    Im not saying it wont work, im just saying its an unknown risk.
    On the contrary, he's saying that the numbers of people who have done the bypass coupled with the lack of evidence of any issues from doing it, demonstrates that it is not an unknown risk.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Road_Warrior For This Useful Post:

    prydey (10th March 2017)

  7. #25
    Miami Sprint. 4Vman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    18,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
    On the contrary, he's saying that the numbers of people who have done the bypass coupled with the lack of evidence of any issues from doing it, demonstrates that it is not an unknown risk.
    I didn't read that as a bipass, I read it as factory setup but PWR exchanger?
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

  8. #26
    Validated User Road_Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In the cockpit. Cruisin' mah hood
    Posts
    5,332
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    I didn't read that as a bipass, I read it as factory setup but PWR exchanger?
    Ok Prydey, fess up, you've confused the shit out of us

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Road_Warrior For This Useful Post:

    4Vman (10th March 2017)

  10. #27
    Miami Sprint. 4Vman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    18,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
    Ok Prydey, fess up, you've confused the shit out of us
    lol the "double skinned" comment so it won't milkshake makes me believe it's the factory style setup just stronger exchsnger
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

  11. #28
    Validated User
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    113
    Just to clear something up. If the OP wants this post deleted please delete.

    My FG MKII 'milkshaked' at 40,000ks. It was fixed under warranty, however, even now that the car is out of warranty I still run the OEM exchanger. I have no intention on changing.

    What some people don't realise or don't want to accept is that they are cars and sometimes shit happens.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to PG2 For This Useful Post:

    4Vman (10th March 2017)

  13. #29
    Rob prydey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Woodcroft S.A.
    Posts
    3,829
    Quote Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
    Just to clear something up. If the OP wants this post deleted please delete.

    My FG MKII 'milkshaked' at 40,000ks. It was fixed under warranty, however, even now that the car is out of warranty I still run the OEM exchanger. I have no intention on changing.

    What some people don't realise or don't want to accept is that they are cars and sometimes shit happens.
    Why would I want it deleted. I agree with you 100%.

    Quote Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
    Ok Prydey, fess up, you've confused the shit out of us
    I'm confused. The second part of Norms post is not quoting me, and almost sounds like its referring to an in tank radiator style cooler, ala v8 style.

    Oil/air coolers are being run by many people, so like you say Dave, it's not really an unknown risk. It's just not manyfacturer tested.

    The thing that stops me going this path is the fact that no manufacturers do and we all know how that like to save money if they can, so there must be a reason for the oem setup.

  14. #30
    Miami Sprint. 4Vman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    18,949
    I think it's temp management Rob.

    The guy I quoted is saying do not do oil to air, use a HD PWR oil to water exchanger to replace the factory version.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •