Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capt Slows Review of FM Mustang GT

Capt Slows Review of FM Mustang GT

MUSTANG GT 5.0lt V8 Manual Review
    By Capt. Slow
    March 2017

Whilst I know you should go into any review with an open mind, I know I went into this review with preconceived notions of the Mustang. It should be noted that I am 12 years older than Ian, so unlike Ian, I grew up with the late 60’s early 70’s Mustangs, and had a great admiration of the Mustang brand. As a young guy, you couldn’t help but love the muscle look of the pony cars, which was helped by watching Alan Moffat in his Trans Am Mustang and Geoghegan in his beautiful car.

However, my preconceived ideas were, “ok it’s an American car”. This meant that while I loved the body and the brand, it was my assumption that it would go well in a straight line, but have a bone shattering ride, poor brakes, and handle like a bucket of poo.* This may be unfair to American cars, but how many years did we hear that about “Yank Tanks”.
    A week before we went, I saw a burgundy (Ruby Red) mustang driving through my home town, and I made the comment to Ian, that I liked the colour but didn’t think the black wheels suited it. So, it was co-incidental that, within a week, our review car, PONY 21, was the exact same scheme that I spoke to Ian about. Love the colour, but personally I am not a fan of black wheels on a darker car

First impressions when the car was bought up, was that it’s a stunning looking vehicle, and that I really did love the car in Ruby Red, again just my opinion, needs some wheels to make the paint pop even more. Walked around the vehicle, and checked out the interior, overall, I was very impressed, looked like it was a good place to be for a few days.

DAY 1 – LEG 1

After the formalities and a chat, we headed off, Ian in control for the first leg, so I slipped into the passenger seat. First stop was a service station, where we topped the tank so we could do fuel consumption figures for the trip. From there, our first leg was to get to Bright, at the start of the Alpine trail through Victoria’s high country. This route was straight forward, and was predominately freeway driving on the Hume highway at 110km/h.* Ian drove for about an hour and a half, where we stopped for a coffee and a chat. Here it was seen that people at the roadhouse stopped and stared, if not looked, usually with a smile and a thumbs up.

I took over driving duties from here to Bright, where I adjusted the seat to suit myself, after which, we both used the same driving position as we both found that very comfortable. We both commented on how easy this car was to cruise on the highway, with the exception that it was hard to maintain speed, as the car was quieter and more effortless than expected, and thus it always seemed that we were doing a slower speed than we were.* We both commented while driving on this road how good this car felt, but didn’t even want to go close to making a judgement call till we hit some roads with curves.

Also during this time, we played with the “Mode” and “Steering” settings.
    Mode cave us 3 settings – NORMAL – SPORTS PLUS – SNOW ICE WET.* In an Automatic the modes also change shift points but in the manual, basically only alter the throttle responsiveness.* We both agreed on SPORTS PLUS.
    Steering also gave us 3 settings NORMAL – SPORT – COMFORT, it was funny that we both came up with the same setting again, but this time it was COMFORT, the Sport mode seemed to add a lot of weight and seemed to take the crispness of the steering away.* We thought maybe different when we hit the twisty stuff, but for now COMFORT was the setting
    Stopped at Bright for Lunch, and had what Ian said was the best meal we had all week (T-Series boys will know the breakfast café)

DAY 1 – LEG 2

After lunch, Ian dropped in behind the wheel and took the drive from Bright to the top of Mount Hotham.* This road is a great drivers road, with good width, a great road surface, both tight and flowing corners, with a significant climb. I was in the passenger seat and all I could say was wow, the car climbed, turned, and rode so well, there are no grab handles in the Mustang, but even through the twist and turns, the car stays so flat and so sure footed, they were not really missed.* The seats in this car are so so supportive, but yet they are so so comfortable.* The aural pleasure we had during this leg was amazing, windows were down and that 5.0 litre V8 has the most beautiful note.* I have not heard a Ford V8 sound this good in a long long time. Its crisp, got a bass, and under load sounds so magnificent. Something we found on this leg, which I originally thought was a wank, was the cooled seats, the day was about 30’c ambient, and with windows down and AC on, with the coolers on, the leather seats, you would still start to sweat, turn on cooled seats, it just added to the comfort. I don’t think Ian turned his off for the rest of the trip.

I took over from the top of Mount Hotham and took the road down, which is a vastly different road in contrast to the climb, this road has long gentle sweeping curves where you can just cruise at the speed limit without any effort.**
    Once you are down, and get towards Anglers Rest, the road really tightens up and has many tight left and right turns. This was my first real experience in this car on the twisty bits, and OH MAN, I never wanted it to end.* I really have never driven a car with such great turn in and feedback through the steering. This car just inspired so much confidence.* This steering, still in COMFORT mode, combined with a chassis that just felt like it had no body roll, just made you want to drive and drive and drive.* And then, there was that noise again, the V8 singing was amazing, you basically do anything you wanted in third gear, it was so tractable and just pulled. To go along with this were the brakes, 6 spot Brembos on the front and single spot rears, wow, initial bite was amazing, and they just didn’t seem to ever get any fade.
    The mustang has pressure monitoring on the tyres and during this stage we put the display on, tyres that are 32 /33 psi cold had climbed to 40 psi, but the grip from them was amazing, no slippage, just a sure footed feel. The Pirellis P zeros on the mustang have a much greater sidewall than those on the sprint, and we were wondering if there was going to be much sidewall flex, well if there was, you certainly didn’t feel it.
    After we turned onto the road to Falls Creek, Ian took over again, and after driving it through this type of roads now, I had a greater appreciation of the joys that Ian was experiencing now. The thing with this car, is that it was a joy to be sitting in the passenger seat. With the supportive seats and them being so comfortable, to see this scenery, to feel how well this car ate the kilometres on this sort of road was just amazing.
    We stopped at the top of Falls creek, and alas the weather closed in, the wind got really strong, and at times the rain was so so heavy that you couldn’t see through the wipers. We selected the Ice / Snow/ Wet setting, which takes away the responsiveness of the throttle and thought it was a very sensible safety item.* The car just sat nicely on the road in the rain. It was a long wet run in the rain to Albury*

Day 1 conclusion was wow, I think I am in love

This car dismissed any thoughts I had about it previously , it was comfortable, fast, and simply a pleasure to drive.* I had the advantage of doing these roads 12 months ago in my TS50, and while not back to back, Ian asked my opinion on the difference. I believe the Mustang would leave the T series in its wake. The turn in, the response of the throttle, the braking, the stability of the car through the turns would just see off the T series. I know my T-Series was scaping and bottoming out, the Mustang never once looked like it.* Also not once did either of us see any of the electronics interfere with the cars performance.* My thoughts were, I could live with this car so easily.
    Really our only issues with it was, no digital speedo, and the seat belt cutting into our necks due to the lack of a seat belt adjuster, we both complained how it just rubbed and rubbed. Hand Brake is on the wrong side of the console, which also makes the drink holders on the wrong side, which makes them useless, especially in the manual, as anything in them, you cant change gears. We also complained of no sunglass holder. The other issue with the hand brake where it is, is that the front seat passenger on a windy road, could grab onto the hand brake to hold themselves in place, not a good position at all in my mind.

DAY 2 – LEG 1

Day 2 started with Ian once again behind the wheel, left Albury and headed up the Hume to Gundagai. Again, this leg just confirmed what an awesome highway cruiser the Mustang is. We were experimenting more with some of the cars features and found the displays and the different modes you could select was quite amazing. The other thing we found was while there was no seat belt adjuster, there is a loop on the top side of the seat, where you can feed the belt through, and hey presto, seat belts were no longer rubbing.
    Stopped for breakfast at Gundagai and I took to the road to Bathurst, having done this road several times it was great to drive the Mustang on it. It’s a B Country road, with undulations and potholes, and I got to say the Mustang handled it well
    We got to Bathurst and straight to a car wash and a tank of fuel. Front of car was covered in dead bugs, and as we wanted photos of the car at the mountain, a wash was required.

I drew the short straw and had to do numerous laps of the race circuit while Ian got to stand in the 32’c heat taking pictures and videos. I got to say I was devastated, but hey someone has to do the hard jobs
    I loved driving up and down the mountain in this car, it truly loved the track surface. I also learned how tractable the engine is, on one lap I was heading up mountain straight and caught a Kia Rio, doing about 40 km, went through Griffin’s bend right up to when I was coming out of the Cutting, where the Kia slowed more, I had to change down, but I had not realised I was trundling around in 4th gear, wow.
    Ian did a couple of laps while I stayed on pit straight, and to hear the Mustang pull away and head up mountain straight was awesome.

After a very late lunch, 3.30ish, we left with Ian driving to Canberra, took a route through the Abercrombie National Park. Again, a beautiful drive thru some great driver’s roads

I only had to look at Ian’s face while driving that he was having a ball. Arrived in our Nation’s Capital at about 7ish and again washed PONY 21, as plan was photo shoot with the car in the morning around the War Memorial / Parliament House. Next issue was getting a hotel room, yeah good luck with that, if Parliament is sitting, no rooms. We did find one out the back of Canberra, so we did have a bed to sleep in

Day 2 conclusion was yeah, I can’t get enough of this
    Made the decision that this is the type of car you want to drive daily, it does everything so well. Easy to drive, so comfortable, and fast when you want it to be. The Mustang Deserves to be a daily driver.
    One thing we both commented on this day was that the passenger seat seemed to be slightly more comfortable than the drivers seat, not by much, but just enough to notice
    Our seat belt issue was fixed, so that shrunk our list of faults with the car, which was a good thing.

DAY 3 – LEG 1

First thing we did was try and get Ian in the back seat, well he fitted, but was awkward and when he was there, his head was touching the rear window, stupid me forgot to get a photo of this event. While we were looking in the owner’s manual, if there was a release to move the whole seat out of the way to allow better access, we stumbled across the location of a hidden sunglass holder, wow, if we hadn’t seen it in the book, never would have known. So much so that a Mustang owner was told this and they have had their car for almost a year and they didn’t know it was there till we told them.

Our plan was to get up and do photos around the National Capital, alas the place was fogged in, went and had breakfast, hoping for a clearing, no luck. As we had to be in Melbourne by 5 at the latest, we decided to hit the road, with Ian again behind the wheel. Onto the Hume, before turning off and through Wagga Wagga, then onto Albury.

For the run home, I took over and we headed through Beechworth, Myrtleford, and onto Whitfield

We were to try a nice bit of road in this area that we were told about, but we couldn’t contact the relevant person, and as time was running short, we followed the sat nav back to Ford.

This photo was to show Ian driving being past and left behind by what some people call a Tractor, it’s not the vehicle directly in front, it’s the one in front of that. Maybe those tractors aren’t too bad Ian?

Day 3 conclusion was I don’t want to give this car back, we considered trying to get it on the Spirit of Tasmania and take it home with us
    With the sunglass holder found, another issue gone, awesome.

CONCLUSSION

I came as a late minute addition to this trip with Ian, and would like to thank the owners of the “Ford Enthusiasts Network Australia” for giving me the opportunity to be involved. Also to Ford in entrusting PONY 21 to Ian and myself.
    It must be remembered that neither Ian or myself are mainstream media, and as such approached this more as owners and enthusiasts, so our testing would be considerably different than the general media. When I was driving, I took into consideration that I had a passenger (Ian), didn’t know the roads 100% like I know our local roads, and that I respect a motor vehicle, be it mine or someone else's. The way I have been bought up is that you respect other peoples property, and such was the case in the way I drove this car. I believe Ian did exactly the same. So if you are reading this to see how fast we went, how many burnouts we did, if we went through a set of tyres, you will be disappointed.

The Mustang – Yes it has faults and some awesome things. Panel finish was ok, better than some I have seen, still a bit shitty around the back bar. Love the colour, hate the black wheels.
    My loves and dislikes:

Loves:

• Seats, so supportive, and comfortable, probably some of the best seats I have sat in, in a car. 2200km in 3 days, and not once did I squirm in the seat trying to get comfortable.
    • Exhaust Note – Best note I have heard from a modern day ford. Loud under acceleration, quiet when cruising
    • Steering – So precise and so much feel, gives you so much confidence when you point it somewhere, you know the car is going there with so little movement
    • Tyres – I have P Zeros on my daily, and this thing just proved to me again how good a tyre they are. Again feels you with confidence
    • Suspension – buggered if I know how they have done this, but it gives such a good ride, soaks up the bumps pretty well, but when you put it into a corner, it just turns, with next to no body roll
    • Brakes – These things just stop, good initial bite and good feel
    • Audio - Great sound system, although we only had it on for maybe 30 mins all trip, we talk too much BS between us
    • Air Conditioner – Handles it well, at one stage Ian says its getting cold outside, I said look at the screen mate, its says its 31’c out there, just that interior of the car was so cool, handles our conditions well
    • Heated / Cooled Seats – Thought it would be a wank, now I want cooled seats
    • Engine – I don’t have a Supercharged Miami, so I cant compare, but I think this engine is so well suited to the chassis, wondering if any more power would able to be used? Maybe straight line acceleration would improve if that is what you like.
    • 3rd Gear – OMG, that engine and 3rd gear, and a windy road, just awesome fun
    • Fuel consumption – Heard bad things about fuel consumption with the Mustang, and maybe we are Grannies, but this thing didn’t drink much fuel for the roads we took and the way we drove it, if I had driven my Windsor or F6 like this, both would have consumed way more.
    • Body Shape – Such a great looking car

Dislikes:

• No digital Speedo
    • Hand Brake – Very poor Location
    • Cabin Storage is pretty average
    • Drink Holders useless in a manual
    • Sat Nav was very hard to use in comparison to Sync 1 and Sync 2
    • Panel Fit (whilst not terrible, not as good as Falcons)
    • Interior finishes – some look pretty cheap
    • Floor gets very hot on spirited driving, so much so as I was barefoot and floor was very warm
    • Screen too low – have to take eyes way of the road to read it
    • No spare wheel – a air compressor, would rather a spare wheel
    • Boot Access – While boot is a reasonable size, access is not great
    • Back Seat – Delete it, access is crap, size is crap, make it a 2 seater

Safety;-

A lot has been said about the Mustangs 2 star rating, this is basically because of the new rating system being implemented into Australia and the Mustangs lack of electronic aids such as lane departure, anti collision braking etc. But let me tell you, I did not feel unsafe at any time in this car. To me having things like a well sorted suspension package, great steering, good tyres and a excellent brake package, is the best sort of safety. Gives the driver every opportunity to avoid an accident. This is a drivers car, and a true driver will be alert enough to avoid a imminent accident. A few times we made hard stops to avoid a inconsiderate driver that wasn’t paying enough attention to what was happening around them.
    I would gladly drive this car, with family and friends, because I believe it’s a very safe car.

In closing I hope I haven't bored you all, but I found this car a very impressive car, and while before was never on my radar, now it is. It really is that good.
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to TS50 For This Useful Post:

383gxl (3rd April 2017),Burnout (3rd April 2017),Donut King (3rd April 2017),FTe217 (3rd April 2017),Futura (3rd April 2017),HSE2 (3rd April 2017),jpd80 (3rd April 2017),MisterAU (4th April 2017),Perko (3rd April 2017),Road_Warrior (3rd April 2017),TICK4D-TAS (4th April 2017),WASP (17th April 2017)

OPUTSTANDING effort Andrew, what a fantastic read!
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

HSE2 (3rd April 2017),TS50 (3rd April 2017)

I have to personally thank Andrew for his help on this. Not only the time and the long day we had do this trip, but the commitment to write that up as he did.

That's a very accurate account of our road trip in a true diary sense.

Also the few members how supported us on twitter. That does matter to us. Every piece of exposure we can get helps grow this place.

Greatly appreciated.
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HSE2 For This Useful Post:

Perko (3rd April 2017),TS50 (3rd April 2017)

Validated User

Wow, what an excellent review Andrew and Ian.

I gotta say that I love that style of review, how you add emotion and personal preferences
    and take us on the journey with you, strange but I was feeling what you were feeling, sorta..

A big thank you to both.

I know you both love Falcons but do you think this car will surprise / transform those who are
    skeptical or have reservations about a two door coupe taking over the mantle of Ford's apex car?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

HSE2 (3rd April 2017)

Thank you, we tried to review this car as enthusiasts, and as we are both Ford supporters there was always going to be a bit of Blue Oval Bias, but thank you
    Its a 2 door coupe, and if it suits your use for a car, then it will easily surprise / transform the opinion of most people that have reservations or are skeptical
    But this car is a 2 seater, not a 2 + 2, Ian made the attempt to get in the back, and I just said no way. So the car has to be viewed that way too

As a performance car, a fun car, it will surprise all that drive it, it really will.
    I was a skeptic, I really was, but I was truly blown away by its performance and handling
    For its price, there isn't much on the market that is comparable
    I had a ute for a daily for 7 years, so I could live with a 2 seater as a daily. Its the type of vehicle that just makes you want to get in and drive it
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TS50 For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (5th April 2017),MisterAU (4th April 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post

Wow, what an excellent review Andrew and Ian.

I gotta say that I love that style of review, how you add emotion and personal preferences
    and take us on the journey with you, strange but I was feeling what you were feeling, sorta..

A big thank you to both.

I know you both love Falcons but do you think this car will surprise / transform those who are
    skeptical or have reservations about a two door coupe taking over the mantle of Ford's apex car?
    Most of my thoughts are in this review

http://www.falconforums.com.au/showt...Mustang-Review

I am like Andrew. My daily is a Ute and has been for nearly 4 years now. In the last 18 months its been used as a ute so that sort of rules a Mustang out unless I make some changes.

I would be more inclined to do so now and be rewarded with a much better driving experience than the XR6T.

You just have to forget the back seat.
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HSE2 For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (5th April 2017)

Incredible body of work there. Well done to all involved.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Road_Warrior For This Useful Post:

HSE2 (3rd April 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by TS50 View Post
    After a very late lunch, 3.30ish, we left with Ian driving to Canberra, took a route through the Abercrombie National Park. Again, a beautiful drive thru some great driver’s roads

I only had to look at Ian’s face while driving that he was having a ball. Arrived in our Nation’s Capital at about 7ish and again washed PONY 21, as plan was photo shoot with the car in the morning around the War Memorial / Parliament House. Next issue was getting a hotel room, yeah good luck with that, if Parliament is sitting, no rooms. We did find one out the back of Canberra, so we did have a bed to sleep in

Day 2 conclusion was yeah, I can’t get enough of this
    An awesome bit of road to stretch the Mustangs legs on. Been travelling that road for the better part of the last 30 years. Never used to enjoy it as a kid when I was a passenger in the family wagon when it was unsealed, but ran it a couple of times in the G6ET and can relate to this very well, one of those bits of road that is far too encouraging to forget the speed and just let the car have its way.

An excellent review. I was never anti Mustang, but it is good to read stories like this that shows that there is still a viable RWD performance option in our lineup, one which even improves over what we had in plenty of areas, despite the origins of the package and the door count.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Donut King For This Useful Post:

HSE2 (3rd April 2017)

Well done Slow, a good scribe go figure.
    Your comment re your dirty blue TSeries scrapping and body roll how worn is your suspension ? and why scrapping ? I think you have the right tyre size from memory ?
    I can't compare mine having coil overs holding the rubber down and the up graded whiteline bars but I don't suffer body roll but I did suffer scraps on the roads you ran around Hotham but I've got 275's - over tired for our cars therefore under load would touch the inside but if in std trim there would be no scrapping just saying.
    Overall you can't compare a 2002 how many k's TS50 to a 2016 low k Pony but I understand you comparing having experienced the same roads prior....

As you guys know we did have tentatively planned I meeting you at Bathurst with the Sprint.
    Travel commitments screwed that but I'd love to compare what this thing does compared to our 4door Sprints, especially in the handling dept.
    Like you having pedaled those same roads pretty spiritedly in our TSeries I'm salivating to get the Sprint to tackle those roads for knowing how it handles I reckon it would rip those roads so much more apart without much effort imo compared to my 2002 modded T3.
    In saying that your ride description pretty much doesn't surprise me re handling and driving experience - Flappist ecoboost run some time back already had me thinking if he reckons its alright after what he has owned I believe it.
    As I've mentioned to Ian I can arrange a Pony for the weekend from my dealer, when I can make sure making the time to actually drive it over the whole weekend for a run I sure will.
    I can easily live having a 2door toy but I sure wish it was a higher model despite the great job you 2 have done in current guise.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Excellent read, certainly sounds as though if you are unsure about the car take it for a test drive and you'd probably buy it before you get back to the dealership.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast