Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Break out safety rating conversation -Mustang review

Yeah right, now they're crash testing experts.....
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

I thought it was interesting how they said the 2 star rating meant more to some than others
    Which I took was they have no issues with the safety of the car, but did with the rating system
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

Quote Originally Posted by TS50 View Post
    a Test was done last week, between the Mustang and the Nissan 370Z
    Now how long has the 370Z been on sale? lots of years
    There has never been a safety test done on the car anywhere in the world
    then they do the Mustang to the new standards, and not let people know, its not a level playing field here
    As I Cant edit my post
    this is from the Car Advice review

It’s not all roses with the ‘Stang though, as there were plenty of shocked and surprised faces when the Australasian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP) announced a two-star safety rating for the 2017 Ford Mustang, based on tests conducted by Euro NCAP.

And, while issues with adult occupant, child occupant, and pedestrian protection were clearly of concern to the safety body, so too was the car’s lack of safety assist technologies, such as speed assistance and lane support systems, autonomous emergency braking (AEB), a forward collision warning, and rear seat belt reminders.

Additionally, ANCAP CEO James Goodwin said, during the frontal offset test, “… insufficient inflation of both the driver and front passenger airbags… allowed the driver’s head to contact the steering wheel and the passenger’s head to contact the dashboard.”

That said, despite being sold in Australia since May 2009, the 370Z has never been tested by ANCAP – or Euro NCAP for that matter – and has therefore never had, nor has now, an ANCAP safety rating.

Make of all that what you will; the Nissan still comes with dual front, side, and curtain airbags, the Ford the same, plus driver and front passenger knee airbags. Neither car offers any form of AEB technology. And, while the Mustang has two ISOFIX-compatible rear seats, the 370Z only offers a sole passenger-side boot floor-mounted child seat top-tether anchor point.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/534439/f...pe-comparison/

So this is what I am saying, how unfair is it to say the Mustang is unsafe with 2 stars, when the Nissan, which has been on sale for 8 years has never been tested, but by the sounds of it would fair no better than the Mustang
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

Yep hence my comments about them being crash testing experts and some being worse than others despite 2 stars
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

ideally, safety ratings should be broken down in to 3 sub sections, with an overall score. 1, Active safety (how the car performs in a crash) 2, Passive safety and 3, safety assist technologies. The overall score would probably still look that same as the current overall rating, but at least diligent consumers could see where the car excelled, and where it didn't.

it doesn't seem right that the 3rd category i mentioned, safety assist, appears to influence the overall score too much. you could debate the merits of some of these systems all day, but thats not really the point. people debated about abs too when it became mainstream too. technology in cars will happen, so whether or not its worth it or not is a moot point. i just don't think the rating system should be weighted so heavily toward them thats all.

many people always claimed that ford are/were on the nose with the media, and i always disagreed putting it down to overzealous fans and blue coloured glasses, but this whole mustang thing certainly seemed to come across as a big case of sour grapes. i don't really want to believe it, but it certainly can appear from some angles that some outlets have a thing against ford. Ancap as well seemed put out because ford didn't give them a car to test, and had to get their euro counterparts on the case. ceo James goodwin isn't a crash expert either, and he has seriously misrepresented mustang in the media. of course there were no responses to the emails i sent him, esp the bit where mazda mx-5 also had a dummy make head contact during a crash, yet no beat up in the media.

i would happily transport my kids around (while they fit) in a mustang. currently the wife owns a 2006 focus, so its not like it would be any worse off than the current school bus/shopping trolley. heck, even my FG has no data for back seat occupants in a crash. real world data would suggest its safe i guess.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to prydey For This Useful Post:

TS50 (11th April 2017)

(ANCAP CEO James Goodwin said, during the frontal offset test, “… insufficient inflation of both the driver and front passenger airbags… allowed the driver’s head to contact the steering wheel and the passenger’s head to contact the dashboard.”)

I've gotta ask, were the 2 front dummies strapped in?. Cause if u think about seating in the stang. how is it possible for someone to travel that far to hit the dash? Steering wheel maybe?
    So I'll ask our recent reviewers(HSE2 n TS50) of the stang, what was your set position like? I feel u sit fairly low and this would have u sitting further away from the front dash n steering wheel, could u confirm this?. Do you think it's possible to hit the dash? N if your further away from the dash wouldn't this allow the air bag to inflate fully while your head is still in motion towards the dash/steering wheel. Or is it that ya heads travelled such a distance that the air bag has started to deflate.
    I know it's possible but u would really have to be traveling at a fair rate of knots n come to a complete stop n even then would u survive the crash anyway?
    I was always taught to sit far enough away from steering wheel and to measure the distance you'd sit back in ya seat n stretch your arm out n rest it on top of the steering wheel and the top of the wheel should meet your wrist. To me this was always the correct distance, after all ya not driving a race car.

Get on you tube and watch some clips of crash testing and you will understand better how quickly things happen and how far bodies move in a crash.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12