Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS tracking devices

Lightbulb GPS tracking devices

What does everyone use? If you have one? Looking for recommendations.

I'd rather something that I monitor with my phone.

Ok go!

Validated User
    The guys at work are into this, apparently the technology is getting better, I have been told if your car starts moving you get an alert via your phone.
    The other bonus is you can see where your car/bike/ truck has traveled while it was in getting serviced.
    The tracking device is tiny, & can be installed in places only you know of.
    I am thinking of getting a couple for my cars.

Quote Originally Posted by project 064 View Post
    The guys at work are into this, apparently the technology is getting better, I have been told if your car starts moving you get an alert via your phone.
    The other bonus is you can see where your car/bike/ truck has traveled while it was in getting serviced.
    The tracking device is tiny, & can be installed in places only you know of.
    I am thinking of getting a couple for my cars.
    Yes apparently they can come with a wide array of features. Quite a few of them come with a smartphone app that uses Google maps so you can track with your phone from anywhere, can set a an automatic SMS if the car is moved or tilted, some of them even come with a remote disable function. I want one for the XW.

The proper ones require a 3G or 4G mobile network sim card and are a reasonable size, and have to be hard wired into the car somewhere. When I say reasonable size, a bit bigger than a packet of cigarettes. Those small "tile" ones about the size of a 20c piece are no good if you are out of bluetooth or wifi range of your phone. And you can't rely on those things to "crowd source" access to the GPS function of other people's phones, because if other people have GPS disabled on their phone, there's no tracking.

Quote Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
    What does everyone use? If you have one? Looking for recommendations.

I'd rather something that I monitor with my phone.

Ok go!
    We fitted one to a customers R33 GTS-T, he supplied the kit, it was the cheaper end of the market but it included an Aldi SIM and you could control a relay to cut the fuel pump circuit via SMS under 40km/h, so while the car was sitting there, sms it and it would switch a relay contact over so the fuel pump had no power, as well as texting it and it would reply with a google maps link with the GPS coordinates of where it was parked.

I'll find out about where he got his kit from for you.

It has this little GPS box thing that had to be mounted in view of the sky, about the size of a deck of cards with a few wires coming out the back.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Franco Cozzo For This Useful Post:

Randel (6th April 2017)

Just Arrived
    Our Recommendation: For nearly all beginners we recommend the ET905 Car Tracking Device.

There's three main reasons for this:

1. The tracker has an in-built battery, so you don't have to get an auto electrician to wire it to your car. You just hide it anywhere inside the car, or on the outside with it's waterproof and magnetic case, and you're ready to roll.

2. This battery lasts for 3 months, meaning you only have to charge it 4 times each year. This is WAYYY longer than many of the other car trackers currently available.

3. There are no monthly contracts like many of the big tracking companies. All you need to do is purchase a pre-paid SIM card (like the same one you use in your mobile phone). Try to get one that allows your credit to last 6 months, preferably a year, that way you don't need to keep topping it up every month. Then just put $20-$30 credit and that should be fine for an entire year of tracking!

TK905-Tracking-Device-1.jpg

The device has an app that can be used on your iPhone/Android for live tracking and other features. Or you can simply call the phone number associated with the SIM card inside the tracker, and you get an instant SMS reply with various details (speed, direction etc) as well as a Google Maps Link to the exact location of your car.

For more information and an indepth review of the ET905 please click here.

Cheers, Luca.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lsamson For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (9th May 2017),HSE2 (9th May 2017),project 064 (9th May 2017)

I don't have time right now but I am going to check this out. Thanks for the link because this has been something on my mind for a while.
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HSE2 For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (9th May 2017)

Validated User
    Just to clarify Luca, say I was at work, in the North West of Western Australia, my car was say in Sydney, I can check with the tracker on the location of the car, as long as I have phone coverage?
    The reason I am asking is some of the these devices, don't work if you are more than 200 metres from the vehicle, Wi Fi, or Bluetooth connection or some such problem.
    I am not savvy with these devices.

In the end, I chose to use an old Android phone that I had kicking around, and the EverTrack app. Bought an Optus prepaid sim card and voila. Is accurate to within 5-10 metres depending on what is around. I havent wired it in yet, have to wait for a voltage reducer to turn up in the post but the inbuilt battery in the phone gives it around 24 hours if the car battery is disconnected. The app gives me the ability to set up a geofence so that if the car moves outside this virtual "fence", it sends me a text.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Road_Warrior For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (4th August 2017),project 064 (10th May 2017)

I'm interested in this.......
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

project 064 (10th May 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
    In the end, I chose to use an old Android phone that I had kicking around, and the EverTrack app. Bought an Optus prepaid sim card and voila. Is accurate to within 5-10 metres depending on what is around. I havent wired it in yet, have to wait for a voltage reducer to turn up in the post but the inbuilt battery in the phone gives it around 24 hours if the car battery is disconnected. The app gives me the ability to set up a geofence so that if the car moves outside this virtual "fence", it sends me a text.
    Ok, on the chase again. The little Android phone I was using for this has died. Dead as a Dodo. I want to keep the sim I got for the next device.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast