Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowdens Lazywax

Great stuff Chris.

I think its well worth noting too if you've used an expensive paint protection DO NOT clay your car as you risk removing it completely.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

I would expect any person who has paid for opticoating or similar would/should never consider doing a clay job themselves down the track knowing it would defeat what they paid for in the first place.

C&S, thanks for that vid I'll check it later this evening hopefully.
    I'll be very curious, I have clayed my Blueprint T3 as mentioned probably twice over my ownership and imo the paint looks Superb and others have said so.
    I sure won't be claying my Silhouette Sprint, like the T3 not a daily and I paid a pro to give him the works and I'm happy as it is.
    I'll stick by my wash routine and spray detailers.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FTe217 For This Useful Post:

Randel (27th April 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Randel View Post
    Yes interesting comments re the clay? See they list a clay cloth?

They have a few different spray detailers - it gets bloody confusing.

I am a fan of finishing with a spray detailer every wash, so will give this a go.

Ian - when you say the snow foam doesnt work - do you mean they dont foam, or you dont think they add any value to the overall washing process?
    That YouTube channel that's been posted is one I have been watching for about three weeks. His videos are often long and are self admittedly on the amateur side but being of a similar cut myself, he always has something to say.

If you think about what a pre wash does, in the time the soap sits on the car it has to be a crazy concentration to shift anything but pure mud. Even then, it's the high pressure that's doing the work in my opinion.

In defence of snowfoam, I don't think my cars get the sort of dirt on them they are intended to work on. Basically a wash by a high pressure hose does the job.

I have switched to Bowdens nanowash because while still salt free as a forming agent, it's "slipperiness" is increased over their normal wash. I have found leaving this wash on for longer works better than snow.

Basically any time you touch the paint you risk scratching.

Where I would use a clay bar is when I am going to machine polish. In the next step you are removing clear coat anyway so you need to make sure the surface is clean.

The secret with clay is lubrication and plenty of it.

Where clay shines is in the smoothness of the surface by touch. I work on the theory you shouldn't be touching the paint so it's not something I do a lot of preferring to use dedicated strippers in prep for new coatings.

Scratching pretty much comes from the washing and drying process. There is a move away from chamois drying now, softer more absorbent drying towels are the go or even better blowers where no contact with the paint is had.
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HSE2 For This Useful Post:

project 064 (27th April 2017),Randel (27th April 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Perko View Post
    Thanks for the comments on the snow foam. Was considering that one but now know to steer clear. Will give the wax a run however.
    Depending on the degree of contamination on your car, a pre wash is always a good idea. You always wet the car down before hand anyway so finding the right product is key.

When you think about how strong this solution needs to be, my question always goes to what longer term impact is occurring with the protection.

There are some newer products on the market now which are water based.

I am looking at giving one of them a go soon.
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

Validated User
    I spoke with my detailer & spraypainter about "paint protection"
    Unless your car is parked in the open 24/7, don't bother with it.
    Yes it will enhance the gloss of your finish, but you have to get what is under the "protection" spot on to start with.
    This is where the cost comes in, it could take 2 full days of preparation, before the "protection" is applied.
    One stone chip, & bingo, the whole process has to be redone.
    For a garage queen, that is trailered to shows & displays, & very rarely turns it wheels on the road, it can last up to 12 months

8. The Following User Says Thank You to project 064 For This Useful Post:

4Vman (27th April 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by project 064 View Post
    I spoke with my detailer & spraypainter about "paint protection"
    Unless your car is parked in the open 24/7, don't bother with it.
    Yes it will enhance the gloss of your finish, but you have to get what is under the "protection" spot on to start with.
    This is where the cost comes in, it could take 2 full days of preparation, before the "protection" is applied.
    One stone chip, & bingo, the whole process has to be redone.
    For a garage queen, that is trailered to shows & displays, & very rarely turns it wheels on the road, it can last up to 12 months
    I've had very similar feedback.

If you regularly use and wash your car the sealants last 12-18 months.

Paint repairs can be made difficult too.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Validated User
    Something new I used on both cars at the GT Nationals, supplied by my detailer.
    Car Pro "reload", it is made in Korea, it is applied after polishing & waxing, which again means getting the paint surface spot on, before you apply the sealant.
    It will last up to 6 months, it cost around $40 for a half litre.
    It must be buffed in, then buffed off, to enhance the gloss.
    The Koreans & Japanese are leading the way in water based, car care products.
    I rate it as good as Zaino's Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer, & it is slightly easier to apply to your paint surface.

What i have been told is to wax at normal intervals OVER these coatings.

The waxing protects the degradation of the sealant.

In other words you have 2 layers of protection, the hard "opti-coat" which will last forever if waxed, and the sacrificial wax layer, reapplied every 3-6 months.

For me personally, i'll just wax the car every 4-6 months and leave the $1000 bucks i saved on Opticoat in the bank.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

project 064 (27th April 2017)

Validated User
    The other thing people may not realise, tree sap, bird droppings, will destroy your "paint protection" if not washed off immediately.
    Waxing over the top of your protection is a good idea, but I agree with Norm, I will stick with polishing, & waxing, then apply a sealant.
    One stone chip, or panel work repair, repaint, means the whole "paint protection" needs to be redone.

Now that is what I really agree on - doing your own protection.
    That is, pre cleaning washing polishing/waxing at your own means.
    The rest is OTT depending on your circumstances as mentioned.
    2 garage queens, the Sprint being a last of I decided getting its paint correction done from the get go (did the T3 myself but first time decided getting someone I knew at mates rates) for seeing what the T3 goes through re chips I also decided bubble wrap would be applied to the obvious chip areas for added protection.
    I'm happy.
    Now is just working on the products that I like for maintenance - one that is Bowdens for starters. I still have Zaino and other good products on the shelf but wanted to give Bowden a go.
    Their leather cleaner and protector/sealant looks to work very well, used twice to date.
    Their tyre sheen works well and not glossy.
    The Nano wash seems good.
    Yet to use the Boss Gloss quick detailer but will this weekend.
    Got more stuff but can't remember off hand.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast