Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E63 AMG POV Autobahn Fast Drive Video - GREAT!

E63 AMG POV Autobahn Fast Drive Video - GREAT!

Hi All,

Couldn't resist sharing this vid today from Carscoops.com

Best POV vid I've seen in a while. Good quality, engaging, mesmerizing and great fun!

Very thought provoking what AMG can get 453 REAL kilowatts to do compared with the 430kws worth of fairy floss HSV claims adorns the GTS and/or the 474kw W1 thing. This looks like Merc quote accurate figures, just stunning performance returns for a relatively 'modest' 453kws. Modest I say, compared to the W1 and HSV's own WP507 pack. Would love to get all the above on the same dyno, same day, same 6 pack of beer!

Hope you like . . . .

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/04/new...ts-to-300.html
    - Winter White XR6 Sprint #141 with 3M Carbon tint & Koya SF-06 19" silver machined-face rims; original PZeros -

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Falco For This Useful Post:

383gxl (1st May 2017),FTe217 (1st May 2017),Futura (1st May 2017)

Great machine.
    Were talking about a sub $265k mind you.
    There is no comparo to the GTS, I know where your coming from but lets get things in perspective.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by FTe217 View Post
    Great machine.
    Were talking about a sub $265k mind you.
    There is no comparo to the GTS, I know where your coming from but lets get things in perspective.
    Have to disagree to an extent here. My only (and I stress ONLY) comparison with GTS was the power and/or acceleration. Not talking price, quality, reliability, servicing costs, leather, equipment, interior fitout - nothing - JUST power and acceleration. My point was the marketing way that HSV, shall we say, handles the truth economically when quoting 430kws for their LSA powered beastie. A nice car to drive and own - I've driven GTS and it was wonderful. It did NOT feel like 430kws though and, honestly, how can it be that even when they DO hook up properly in a drag race and they do NOT break 4.5 secs 0-100? Even the 'standard' E63 can make GTS look 2nd best in acceleration. That wouldn't be the case so severely IF GTS had a REAL 430kws. Be fascinating to put W1 on a hub dyno although I'd certainly settle for a wheel/chassis dyno. Our 474kws may, who knows, be proven to be a tad closer to 400? Thank you HSV marketing.

The comparison will always be made between these two if HSV insists GTS has 430kws. We all know from dyno tests that it is nowhere near that even allowing for driveline losses. Sure, the car in the video (which I do hope you enjoyed!) had the higher 453kw E63 AMG power but still makes even the 474kws W1 thing look slow. I mean, 4.3 secs 0-100 for the W1. I'd be pretty pissed off if I didn't discover THAT little factoid prior to plonking such LARGE money down on one. Now don't all shout at me that this car represents more than just power. I'm acutely aware of exactly what it represents - just like the Sprint story. You'd be pretty hard pressed to argue though that at least a regular GTS beating acceleration factor should at least be included in your new $200K D/A priced W1. I still can't understand with W1's titanium everything that it can only spin to 474kws when Walky gets an ultra reliable 507 for the more basic WP507 pack on the more agricultural LSA for only $7K. Things askew there somewhere . . . pricing? . . . profit? . . . we mere mortals may never know.
    Last edited by Falco; 1st May 2017 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Spelling and sentence structure.
    - Winter White XR6 Sprint #141 with 3M Carbon tint & Koya SF-06 19" silver machined-face rims; original PZeros -

Brian im not sure where you get your HSV data from but if the LSA cars are anything its consistantly fast 0-100.

This is the best media time ive seen for a LSA GTS, 4.2-4.4 is common.

My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

13726548 (1st May 2017)

It really is a shame none of you guys took advantage of the open zones.
    That video shows exactly why I have traveled 3000km to drive in them so many times.

Personal bests:

Outright 268km/h
    FPV 254km/h
    Falcon 238km/h

Speed limiters tend to get in the way......
    A velocitatem terram

Google-Fu, the ancient snowflake art of knowing little, understanding less but believing anything they find on Google as the word of God.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flappist For This Useful Post:

13726548 (1st May 2017),383gxl (1st May 2017),FTe217 (2nd May 2017),imike1 (2nd May 2017)

Interesting, I wonder if he was right up it at 300 or he still had some room to play with? Makes John Bowe's 297kmh run in the GTF look pretty good actually with 100 less kw and 3 less gears
    "You might not notice them, but those few standing proud are the reason some can stand at all."

Validated User
    Quote Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
    Interesting, I wonder if he was right up it at 300 or he still had some room to play with? Makes John Bowe's 297kmh run in the GTF look pretty good actually with 100 less kw and 3 less gears
    I got the impression that the driver was easing back at 300 kph, just by the way the thing stormed up to 300.
    What a glorious car with bags of power and a decent chassis and aerodynamics to make it all work

So nice to see the regular traffic sticking to the right lane and that he slowed down to pass,
    great driving all round...should be required viewing for our aussie drivers.

( the GT350R does 0-169 mph in about 35 seconds without 6th the last 4 mph takes about 5 seconds..LINK)
    Last edited by jpd80; 1st May 2017 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    Brian im not sure where you get your HSV data from but if the LSA cars are anything its consistantly fast 0-100.

This is the best media time ive seen for a LSA GTS, 4.2-4.4 is common.

Used my 4.5sec to 100 based on all times I've seen from 4.2 secs up to 5 secs (!) - the 4.2sec was from Toby Hagon so I took that with a grain of salt. I hadn't seen your video link before. Seems unlikely to me. I wasn't there but it is the only time I've seen under 4.2 so I am sceptical. This all makes me wonder why all the high tech in the W1 when it is no quicker. A normal GTS with a 507 warranted pack seems a no brainer of you are GTS/HSV minded. That's the way to get repeatable 4 secs from a GTS not mention outrageous overtaking numbers. The reviewers rave over WP507.

Quote Originally Posted by Falco View Post
    Used my 4.5sec to 100 based on all times I've seen from 4.2 secs up to 5 secs (!) - the 4.2sec was from Toby Hagon so I took that with a grain of salt. I hadn't seen your video link before. Seems unlikely to me. I wasn't there but it is the only time I've seen under 4.2 so I am sceptical. This all makes me wonder why all the high tech in the W1 when it is no quicker. A normal GTS with a 507 warranted pack seems a no brainer of you are GTS/HSV minded. That's the way to get repeatable 4 secs from a GTS not mention outrageous overtaking numbers. The reviewers rave over WP507.
    W507 is not a factory product, it's aftermarket. If you're just chasing a number that's fine but most in this space are more into the DNA of factory performance.

LSA R8's are punching out very consistent 4.5's all day.

With regards to the W1 you need to look deeper than the peak power numbers, its geared very tall, it will do a mathematical 98kph in 1st gear, meaning a gear change just before 100kph. One has been recorded at 4.2 seconds, while the same car, at Heathcote did a 4.5.

But all that said we've reached the point of diminishing returns for a large 2 tonne RWD performance vehicle, E63 needs AWD to go faster.

The euro's in the high 3.X sec bracket like M3, Alfa, C63 etc are all smaller vehicles and substantially lighter.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast