Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: The Constant Rise of Dual Cabs/4x4/4x2 & SUV Trucks.......

  1. #1
    T3/Sprint8 FTe217's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Richmond
    Posts
    9,791

    The Constant Rise of Dual Cabs/4x4/4x2 & SUV Trucks.......

    I suppose it maybe a idea to having a general thread on these market movers today......
    The climb hasn't been over night - some 15yrs and the Burbs are full of them now.
    At one end of the scale small Hatchs dominate sales/rankings BUT the Dual Cab has climbed being in the Top 10 overall countless times now.
    To the point that Ranger or Hilux are no1 in monthly sales.
    Naturally some are against this but it is what it is.
    I've never been a fan of small Hatchs for eg but you can't influence what joe average consumer prefers nor can you stop what Fleets/Mining/Lease's does influencing numbers to certain categories for that matter such as this Dual Cab swarm today.
    Just check latest Vfacts, its mind boggling.
    Added to this the Lifestyle Industry is booming as well that has aided these vehicles being all rounders for some naturally with compromise's......
    Another confirmation showing this up rise is of all brands MB entering the market very soon as known !
    https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...ass-ute-104394

    This is going to influence what next model upgrades other OE's will bring to the party in the future imo.
    I can't wait for some proper hipo models to appear fingers crossed.
    Lets hope Ford have a Raptor style Ranger 4x4 and 4x2 in the skunk works and more so a velvet version for us interested conservatives......

    Next the SUV's, some are looking better and better......
    This market I can't see changing for quite sometime.
    So many options again mind boggling, we lost the 4door sedan but do you wonder why at their peak there never was so many to pick from like there is nowadays of these SUV's........
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

  2. #2
    Aka Captain Slow TS50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Launceston Tasmania
    Posts
    7,093
    The main reason for the rise in the dual cabs is the FBT laws
    fair enough the other versatility reasons,, but main reason is FBT
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TS50 For This Useful Post:

    4Vman (7th June 2017),TICK4D-TAS (13th June 2017)

  4. #3
    Miami Sprint. 4Vman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    18,709
    Quote Originally Posted by TS50 View Post
    The main reason for the rise in the dual cabs is the FBT laws
    fair enough the other versatility reasons,, but main reason is FBT
    EXACTLY.

    To be honest i hope styling goes the opposite direction, not a fan of the offroad Tonka look.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

  5. #4
    Validated User Road_Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In the cockpit. Cruisin' mah hood
    Posts
    5,260
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    EXACTLY.

    To be honest i hope styling goes the opposite direction, not a fan of the offroad Tonka look.
    Me neither. The segment is crying out for a lux-spec 4x4 dual cab. Think of a Ranger Titanium decked out with all the Everest Titanium's farkles...
    "You might not notice them, but those few standing proud are the reason some can stand at all."

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Road_Warrior For This Useful Post:

    4Vman (7th June 2017),TICK4D-TAS (13th June 2017)

  7. #5
    Validated User Road_Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In the cockpit. Cruisin' mah hood
    Posts
    5,260
    Quote Originally Posted by TS50 View Post
    The main reason for the rise in the dual cabs is the FBT laws
    fair enough the other versatility reasons,, but main reason is FBT
    That said, 4x4 utes are far more civilised now than they ever were, which opens up opportunities for people looking for dual purpose family wagons. In the past, they were simply out of the question because of their shocking road manners and lack of equipment.
    "You might not notice them, but those few standing proud are the reason some can stand at all."

  8. #6
    Validated User
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    107
    I'm finding as I get older my body isn't as flexible and/or supple as it used to be.

    We have sedans and dual cabs at work and I am finding that even if there is a sedan on offer I am taking a dual cab more and more often simply because of the ease of getting in and out.

    In last 10 years or so I have seen dual cabs go from agricultural to almost car like not only in comfort but dynamics as well.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PG2 For This Useful Post:

    Falco (7th June 2017),FTe217 (7th June 2017)

  10. #7
    Aka Captain Slow TS50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Launceston Tasmania
    Posts
    7,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
    That said, 4x4 utes are far more civilised now than they ever were, which opens up opportunities for people looking for dual purpose family wagons. In the past, they were simply out of the question because of their shocking road manners and lack of equipment.
    not disagreeing there, but their price has gone up just as dramatically

    A wildtrack Ranger, same price as a Sprint6
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

  11. #8
    T3/Sprint8 FTe217's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Richmond
    Posts
    9,791
    Thats not the point - don't like this don't like that, FBT is the only reason ?...its one piece to the puzzle for sure but as we know quite a number of vehicles types are FBT exempt....
    IF there was more wagon choices at that sub $70k figure for eg they may still have got good numbers but the SUV has walked into that market.
    Fact is the numbers are stacking up for a number of years now and probably for a while on wards, thats how its gone.
    Slow, you had a fpv ute that costed up near wildtrak ? ok give or take a few thou less I'm guessing, other people would think your kidding me paying that much for that right no matter what you counter argue with..others wouldn't see it your way.

    SUV's also will keep gaining a good slice of the market.
    As PG2 mentions, the Dual Cab has improved greatly, ride height in and out is far easier, loading, going away from leaf sprung ride from what they once were, Cruisers are still selling in good numbers, infact increasing and they ride like on air in stock trim for eg.
    As mentioned, the next pick up in numbers is prospective hipo versions or Titanium variant as RW quoted.
    Been in a M X5 ? a AMG ML ? once the Japs/Koreans start at their price points watch these sell.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

  12. #9
    Senior Member Falco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
    I'm finding as I get older my body isn't as flexible and/or supple as it used to be.

    We have sedans and dual cabs at work and I am finding that even if there is a sedan on offer I am taking a dual cab more and more often simply because of the ease of getting in and out.

    In last 10 years or so I have seen dual cabs go from agricultural to almost car like not only in comfort but dynamics as well.
    PG2 - Haven't seen a post of yours before and I notice you're 'reasonably' new here so here's a belated WELCOME!

    Re your post I have to say, reluctantly, that I agree wholeheartedly. I've had sedans all my life and only over the past few years have I started to notice that getting in and out is a bit slower for me now. Been pedalling a WM Caprice V8 for the past 10 years (a really great, overlooked and under rated family car) and that was 'satisfactory' in head clearance and in/out. BUT, since getting my Sprint 6 just on a year ago next month it has really come home to me how stiff my neck is and how the old back doesn't bend anymore. I find the Sprint quite difficult to ingress/egress. Just as well the benefits are there for me once I'm actually IN the car!! Yep, driving her never gets old (unlike me!). Every single time I get in I bump my head due to no clearance as my neck can only bend so far down. Not a big issue now as I take my time but still I will brush my head against the top of the door frame. I momentarily considered getting a Ranger prior to Sprint for easy ingress/egress and the great stance and handsome look of the ute. At the end of the day I couldn't sacrifice the performance and handling and 4-passenger family comfort on trips of the sedan. Loved most things about Ranger but in the end the traditional strengths of the Aussie sedan won out.
    - Winter White XR6 Sprint #141 with 3M Carbon tint & Koya SF-06 19" silver machined-face rims; original PZeros -

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Falco For This Useful Post:

    PG2 (7th June 2017)

  14. #10
    Aka Captain Slow TS50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Launceston Tasmania
    Posts
    7,093
    Quote Originally Posted by FTe217 View Post
    Thats not the point - don't like this don't like that, FBT is the only reason ?...its one piece to the puzzle for sure but as we know quite a number of vehicles types are FBT exempt....
    IF there was more wagon choices at that sub $70k figure for eg they may still have got good numbers but the SUV has walked into that market.
    Fact is the numbers are stacking up for a number of years now and probably for a while on wards, thats how its gone.
    Slow, you had a fpv ute that costed up near wildtrak ? ok give or take a few thou less I'm guessing, other people would think your kidding me paying that much for that right no matter what you counter argue with..others wouldn't see it your way.

    SUV's also will keep gaining a good slice of the market.
    As PG2 mentions, the Dual Cab has improved greatly, ride height in and out is far easier, loading, going away from leaf sprung ride from what they once were, Cruisers are still selling in good numbers, infact increasing and they ride like on air in stock trim for eg.
    As mentioned, the next pick up in numbers is prospective hipo versions or Titanium variant as RW quoted.
    Been in a M X5 ? a AMG ML ? once the Japs/Koreans start at their price points watch these sell.
    I didnt say FBT was the only reason, but its a fairly major part of the reason

    The F6 ute was a performance vehicle, not really compariable to a wildtrack
    A XR6 ute with luxury pack would have been closer, and there is a significant difference in coin there

    I was jus making observations, not trying to pass bad comment on them
    They serve a purpose
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •