Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Victoria: Change to emergency vehicle rules.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    It wont have the impact in sparsely populated rural areas that it will in the heavily populated built up ones Trev.

Freeway congestion is a real issue, slowing a huge number of flowing cars from 100kph to 40kph in the space of 1-200m has a huge potential for problems.
    Plus increased fuel consumption - lets warn the greenies that braking and then stomping on the accelerator is not good for the endangered green tree Kangaroo which is rampant in the bush-land around Victorian freeways... Cars use a shitload of fuel to get from 40 to 100, especially if you don't want the driver in the car behind you kissing your bumper as you casually return to sanity/the speed limit.
    I'm in love with my car. Got a feel for my automobile.

Validated User
    When working on the side of the road, we used (and others still) position the vehicle as coverage. Even when I was in the Safety Team at Winton (Raceway) we did it, as there is nothing worse than having your arse hanging out when some wannabe V8Supercar driver comes out of pit lane and tries like shit to catch the end of the safety car train, the bastards will whistle past your arse at 200k's sometimes when you are on the side of track trying to clean a crash scene

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trevor For This Useful Post:

4Vman (22nd June 2017),Elks (26th June 2017),FTe217 (22nd June 2017),Paxton (22nd June 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    When working on the side of the road, we used (and others still) position the vehicle as coverage. Even when I was in the Safety Team at Winton (Raceway) we did it, as there is nothing worse than having your arse hanging out when some wannabe V8Supercar driver comes out of pit lane and tries like shit to catch the end of the safety car train, the bastards will whistle past your arse at 200k's sometimes when you are on the side of track trying to clean a crash scene
    Spot on.
    "You might not notice them, but those few standing proud are the reason some can stand at all."

Just Arrived
    ok a cop stops someone for revenue raising to contribute to state budget on a highway for doing 5 km/h over the speed limit.
    they as usual pull up in emergency lane.
    now, is this law telling me the whole fricking highway needs to come to a grinding stop because of this!?
    we already are in destination f****d on Melbourne roads every morning.. it is a tragedy for anyone that have to go from one side of the city to the other like me.
    if they start enforcing this it's gonna make it even worse!!! It's gonna be like accident scene where everyone stops to take a look..

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hpfmnst View Post
    ok a cop stops someone for revenue raising to contribute to state budget on a highway for doing 5 km/h over the speed limit.
    they as usual pull up in emergency lane.
    now, is this law telling me the whole fricking highway needs to come to a grinding stop because of this!?
    we already are in destination f****d on Melbourne roads every morning.. it is a tragedy for anyone that have to go from one side of the city to the other like me.
    if they start enforcing this it's gonna make it even worse!!! It's gonna be like accident scene where everyone stops to take a look..

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk
    That is correct.

To add to this if there isn't a physical divide between both sides the vehicles travelling at 100kph in the opposite direction MUST also slow to 40kph.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

as mentioned by andrewforbes, this rule has been in SA now for at least 2-3 years, maybe more, and its not 40, its 25 here.

it has the desired effect of slowing traffic where emergency vehicles are, but no one does 25, esp in higher speed zones. don't know of 1 single person that has been pinged for it either.

no point running around saying 'the sky is falling'.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to prydey For This Useful Post:

Trevor (22nd June 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by prydey View Post
    as mentioned by andrewforbes, this rule has been in SA now for at least 2-3 years, maybe more, and its not 40, its 25 here.

it has the desired effect of slowing traffic where emergency vehicles are, but no one does 25, esp in higher speed zones. don't know of 1 single person that has been pinged for it either.

no point running around saying 'the sky is falling'.
    Victoria is the State of Speed Cameras though. I can guarantee that the Mexicans will be fined, and a driver will be made an example of.

It seems from the outside that Drivers are the enemy in Victoria.
    I'm in love with my car. Got a feel for my automobile.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paxton For This Useful Post:

4Vman (22nd June 2017),hpfmnst (28th June 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Paxton View Post
    Victoria is the State of Speed Cameras though. I can guarantee that the Mexicans will be fined, and a driver will be made an example of.

It seems from the outside that Drivers are the enemy in Victoria.
    Exactly, they're already talking fixed cameras on Police cars.

Pull someone over and set the cash register to 43kph....
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Good ol Vic.....
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

And a new development:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/ex...20-gwukjd.html

Victoria's peak motoring body has cast doubt on new road rules requiring drivers to slow down to 40km/h when passing emergency vehicles, calling for an urgent review of the new policy.

The RACV revealed on Tuesday it had raised concerns with the state government about the practicality of slowing down from speeds of up to 110km/h on country roads and freeways.

Drivers could face a $277 on-the-spot fine if they don't slow down to passing emergency vehicles with their lights and sirens on.

The new laws require all motorists to slow to 40km/h when passing stationary or slow-moving emergency vehicles displaying lights or sirens, or risk a $277 fine.

But RACV roads and traffic manager Dave Jones said he feared there would be safety implications for other road users, and said there should have been a longer education period before the laws were introduced.

"In some situations, for example high-speed country roads that have got hills, they're undulating roads and sharp bends," he told radio station 3AW.

"It may be very difficult for someone to see the flashing emergency vehicles' lights far enough in advance so they can slow down to 40 in time. And if they do manage to slam on the anchors ... will any vehicle behind them be able to do it?"

Mr Jones told Fairfax Media that VicRoads needed to better explain the new road rules to ensure motorists understood.

Victorian Transport Association CEO Peter Anderson said heavy vehicles should be afforded special consideration because of their size and weight.

"Trucks carrying loads and travelling at speed on freeways, down hills and around corners can't just abruptly slow down, and attempts to do so could be unsafe and cause more harm than good," he said.

The changes, which come into effect on July 1, were introduced to reduce the number of deaths and injuries among roadside emergency workers.

Associate Professor Stuart Newstead of Monash University's accident research centre, said educating heavy-vehicle drivers to safely slow down at emergency scenes was critical to the policy's success.

"The intent of the changes is very good but we need to be educating motorists extensively on the new rules ... a small segment on television or an article in the newspaper is not enough. There needs to be major publicity about it," Associate Professor Newstead said.

"This is particularly important for heavy-vehicle drivers because if they don't know to slow down they can take a lot of people out with them which can obviously have very serious outcomes for everyone involved."

The sweeping changes were announced by Roads Minister Luke Donnellan on Monday after a survey found almost one-in-five emergency service workers said they'd had four or more near misses on roadsides over the past three years.

Mr Donnellan said there would be an extensive campaign to ensure road users were aware of the change.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast