Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holden V8 not ‘guaranteed’ as HSV products questioned

Quote Originally Posted by TS50 View Post
    Disagree
    Halo models may have worked in the past
    But to todays buyers, it has very little relevance
    Of course you do Andrew.

And you disagree based on what? Or is this just a belief based on observation?

Not all car brands and markets are the same. You appear to be making a sweeping assumption that one size or approach fits all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.

Quote Originally Posted by WASP View Post
    Of course you do Andrew.

And you disagree based on what? Or is this just a belief based on observation?

Not all car brands and markets are the same. You appear to be making a sweeping assumption that one size or approach fits all.

what does that mean? "of course you do Andrew"

yes observations as I don't have access to the motor vehicle traders boadrooms

I also don't think you can use the euros as an example
    they are in a different market really than
    Ford, Toyota, Mazda, holden
    What is Toyotas Halo car? remembering they sell the most vehicles, inc passanger vehicles in Australia
    What is Mazdas halo car, thinkng that the mazda 3 is one of the best selling cars
    A lot of their sales are to fleets and non car enthusists, most of these people wouldn't know a halo car if they fell over it

I just think that most cars today are bought as a commodity to transport people, not to drive and enjoy
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

Holden V8 not ‘guaranteed’ as HSV products questioned

A halo car often sells in smaller volumes but is designed to capture the public imagination. Some successful current day examples are AMG A45 & C63, Ford GT350 and GT, Toyota Prius and Toyota 86, and the Subaru WRX, BMW M3, Audi R8 etc.

They don't have to necessarily be a performance car or expensive. A halo car is how a brand says, "This is what we're all about." They are particularly effective when targeting a younger audience, even those that don't drive yet but will one day aspire to owning the halo car, and as such may give a preference to that brand based on a predisposed belief as they get older.

It is, and remains a effective brand and market builder, particularly in the automotive sector. The perceived view that it is no longer relevant is a misconception.

Remembering what I said about a halo car being a statement from the manufacture about what their brand is about, you just have to look at each make to look at what model is at the heart of what that brand represents.

That could be based on outstanding traits such as strength, reliability, performance, safety, efficiency, engineering design, and even size in some cases.

Mazda for example uses the Mazda 3 to show the world what it means to own one of their cars . They are very much a love and relationship driven brand and the Mazda 3 captures this best. Mazda use the 3 to link buyers to their close relationship and feelings they hold around the ownership experience of their first car.

This sees young people aspiring to own one in the future, and older buyers who had fond memories of their first car willing to consider a Mazda.

On the performance front the RX8 model with its famous Rotary engine represents their halo model. Then there is the MX5 ...

Last edited by WASP; 10th July 2017 at 09:55 PM.
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

4Vman (10th July 2017)

Wait, did you call a prius a halo car?

The interesting thing about many of the Halo's you mentioned (especially the ford ones) is that you cant get them in Australia. How is this different to a Corvette or ZL1 Camaro?

Quote Originally Posted by GTF449 View Post
    Wait, did you call a prius a halo car?

The interesting thing about many of the Halo's you mentioned (especially the ford ones) is that you cant get them in Australia. How is this different to a Corvette or ZL1 Camaro?
    Yep.

Prius actually created enormous momentum and notoriety for Toyota in the EV and Future mobility space.

It was positioned as the hero product for the future when it was released.

Not our kind of future, a vegan kind of future...

But a future none the less...
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

Randel (11th July 2017)

Well, in some respect Slow makes a point.
    Can't compare Euros with Toy/Mazda/Ford/Nissan/olden/Subi - these companies cater massively for the volume market and everyday mr and mrs public.
    Whatever performance/halo these 6 brands have those volume soccer mums etc wouldn't have a clue but only be aware once at the dealership when buying their next new daily. Would it matter to them ? for a moment I guess nothing more.

As for oldens current and future re Halo or what to bring to the table - haha, Colorado/utes/dual cab and Colo 7 hipo enhancements for starters.
    The Astra as mentioned - the new wonderful FWD commode coming.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Quote Originally Posted by FTe217 View Post
    Well, in some respect Slow makes a point.
    Can't compare Euros with Toy/Mazda/Ford/Nissan/olden/Subi - these companies cater massively for the volume market and everyday mr and mrs public.
    Whatever performance/halo these 6 brands have those volume soccer mums etc wouldn't have a clue but only be aware once at the dealership when buying their next new daily. Would it matter to them ? for a moment I guess nothing more.

As for oldens current and future re Halo or what to bring to the table - haha, Colorado/utes/dual cab and Colo 7 hipo enhancements for starters.
    The Astra as mentioned - the new wonderful FWD commode coming.
    It comes down to what kind of brand image you want to create.

Toyota care little for performance and are effectively a mass manufacturer of commodity green mobility.

Prius is the perfect Halo product for them.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Vman For This Useful Post:

Randel (11th July 2017)

I still think Norm, you are looking at this from someone that is car enthusiast
    Most car purchasers are not car people and have no idea about any cars, including prius
    To most people a car is just a tool, a means to a end
    the colour of their Yaris or Corolla is more important than seeing a 86 in the showroom, or knowing Toyota make a 86
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TS50 For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (11th July 2017)

Correct Slow,
    Toy does care but they pick their moments when to flex their dollars but they know whats better, ROI.
    Lexus don't forget for those suedo brand savvy minded sell quite a few RCF GSF models, they just don't care to market it the way the other Euros do for eg.
    Most companies have their green product introduced and expanding.
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Quote Originally Posted by TS50 View Post
    I still think Norm, you are looking at this from someone that is car enthusiast
    Most car purchasers are not car people and have no idea about any cars, including prius
    To most people a car is just a tool, a means to a end
    the colour of their Yaris or Corolla is more important than seeing a 86 in the showroom, or knowing Toyota make a 86
    If we're going to say a Prius is a halo car though you just need to look at all the celebs who were driving them. I guess what they're saying is halo cars aren't just about performance, in some cases they are about image and brand recognition.
    To get people through your showroom door you need a car that is recognisable to the general public otherwise why are they coming to you?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast