Thread: Euro retesting of mustang gains an extra star.

Euro retesting of mustang gains an extra star.

Details are still hard to come by but it appears Mustang has scored 3 stars.

The electonic aids have been included and Ford did something to address the bottoming out of the bag.

On that point it will be interesting to see the results to see if mr and mrs dummy received less injuries.

We thought the rear seat would stop a 5 star rating but we also thought 4 might be possible.

This is going to be interesting reading
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

I don't believe this is MY18 though.

Hopefully MY18 will improve again.
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Ford have responded.

Quote Originally Posted by Ford
    The overall Euro NCAP rating is based on four pillars. The MY18 Mustang delivered a good four-star result for Adult Occupant Protection, a three-star result for Child Occupant Protection and a five-star result for Pedestrian Protection as well as Safety Assist after the reassessment. However, the three-star result in the Child Occupant pillar limited the overall result to a three-star rating.

We are committed to continued improvement in vehicle safety and the global Product Development team took action and updated several systems accordingly:

• Pedestrian Protection (78%): five-star. The Mustang is equipped with a state of the art pop-up hood, which actively reduces the risk of injury to pedestrians.
    • Safety Assist (61%): five-star. The New Mustang will be available with standardised Pre Collision Assist (with Pedestrian Detection, Forward Collision Warning and Autonomous Emergency Braking) and Lane Departure Warning & Lane Keeping Aid. With this update the Safety Assist rating increased from 16% to 61% which is equivalent to a five-star rating in this category.
    • Adult Occupant Protection (72%): four-star
    • Child Occupant Protection (32%): three-star. Euro NCAP has a very strong focus on family car safety characteristics, an area where 2-door coupes with rear seats traditionally have a disadvantage.

An important element of Euro NCAP’s child safety rating includes elements such as ease of ingress and egress of the child seat, an area where 2-door coupes with rear seats traditionally have a disadvantage. Euro NCAP testing has very strong focus on family cars and SUVs safety characteristics and specific safety assist features, which are usually not part of the standard equipment of cars in the Mustang category. Mustang is the only vehicle in Euro NCAP’s “Roadster Sport” class to be tested under the rigorous new Euro NCAP protocol update introduced in 2016/2017, which is even more tailored to family cars and SUV than the previous protocol.
    So in a nutshell NCAP is based on 4 criteria:

MY18 Mustang:

Pedestrian Protection: ***** 5 Star
    Safety assist: ***** 5 Star
    Adult Occupant Protection: **** 4 Star
    Child Occupant Protection: *** 3 Star

Overall Score *** 3 Star.

Ironically it's a 4+ star car if you're not carrying rear passengers.

Doesn't seem fair does it.....
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Oh no, it looks like Ford have lost any chance of selling Mustang into the camry driving soccer mom market.....

Seriously, what a load of crap. There are only three groups of people who even remotely care:

1) the aforementioned soccer moms etc.
    2) media tarts who were once journalism students but decided that hype sells more than truth.
    3) holden bogans who will go on for hours how unsafe anything Ford is then drive off in their supercheap lowered bob jane donut shod home made bodykit covered 10 year old auction special commodore.

None of these would buy a Mustang even if they were 5 star and the only people who would take any notice of what they say would fit into the above groups.
    A velocitatem terram

Google-Fu, the ancient snowflake art of knowing little, understanding less but believing anything they find on Google as the word of God.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flappist For This Useful Post:

13726548 (6th July 2017),dash gt (6th July 2017)

Apart from that when the MY20 with the turbo 6 engine is released to be the top of the range in Australia all will be good
    A velocitatem terram

Google-Fu, the ancient snowflake art of knowing little, understanding less but believing anything they find on Google as the word of God.

Kinda sad when your car protects pedestrians better than yourself or your children does that mean in an accident with a pedestrian i am better of being the pedestrian? Does pedestrian include cyclists?

Sorry for the bullshit, but I hate the way these Stars are used in the media... and how many people driving their 15 year old Hyundai heap of shit would bag the mustang because of such ratings

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Randel For This Useful Post:

FTe217 (7th July 2017)