Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hyundai U.K. Kills The Genesis After Only Selling 50 Of Them In Two Years

Validated User

Hyundai U.K. Kills The Genesis After Only Selling 50 Of Them In Two Years

Hyundai U.K. Kills The Genesis After Only Selling 50 Of Them In Two Years
    Alanis King
    Today 12:40pm - LINK

For the past few years, Genesis has been Hyundai’s venture into luxury sedans. The company slapped a new logo on the car, attempting to put it on the same level as the Lexuses of the world. But while Lexuses are selling by the thousands in the U.K., Hyundai’s killing the car off after only selling 50 since 2015.

In case math isn’t your thing, 50 cars in two years is not a lot. There are almost 66 million people living in the U.K., and in two years, Autocar reports that 50 of those people have decided to mosey on over to a dealership and pay $65,000 at current exchange rates for a Genesis. We reached out to the company to confirm that number, and will update when we hear back.

The Genesis came with a 3.8-liter V6 only in the U.K., and here’s what Hyundai U.K. told Autocar about its sales:

“The Genesis was never built for the European market, it was conceived for the Korean and American markets,” Hyundai UK managing director Tony Whitehorn told Autocar. “It shows a saloon car with a 3.8-litre engine is not really what is demanded in Europe, and in particular in the UK.

“we brought it in as much just to sample it: lots of people told us they’d driven a Genesis in America and liked it. It was also available in Australia and had done well there, so it was engineered in right-hand-drive. So we thought fine, let’s trial it and see how it goes.”

But it’s not like luxury sedans with a lot of power are totally ignored over there, since the four-door $94,500 Lexus GS F sales numbers were at 1,351 during that time frame. That’s 1,301 more than the Genesis.

Well, Genesis, it was a good run. Just think—at that rate, you’d catch up to the GS F’s numbers in a mere 52 years.
    Last edited by jpd80; 13th July 2017 at 12:30 PM.

Validated User
    I recall reading about the LHD only 5.0 V8. I wonder ahy Hyundai never thought to
    off Aussie buyer a V8 luxury car, the V6 wold look a bit basic comparison

Genesis successful here ? - V6 regos RWD @ 1033 units from 11/14 onwards.......
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

I question the issue being with the size of the engine, although a more inspiring power plant would have improved it chances.
    Its a car and brand that tries to be prestige by name, but isn't by nature. In Europe there is no room for impostors as there are too many legitimate options to choose from that remain true to their name without having to compromise.
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

4Vman (13th July 2017),FTe217 (13th July 2017)

Genesis is limo size isn't it??
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

yer 7series size I reckon.

Here you go bimmer
    5238 x 3210 wheelbase - feck Col euro larger but genesis pretty much as per statesmen/caprice as you quote....

As Hyundai by lead name it will never gain much traction at the high end private purchaser - I've noticed Limo companys have bought some here in Syd for heck makes sense - sub $50k deals.
    They need to start up a new arm ala Lexus if they really want to gain some traction, breakaway Hyundai name and bigger motor....
    Last edited by FTe217; 13th July 2017 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Got bimmer specs...
    YNWA ! off to CL 2018.
    Sydney is Sky Blue HAL Premiers/Champions 2017 - the Double.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    Genesis is 4990 long with a 3010 wheel base. For comparison a Holden Statesman is 5160 long with a 3009 wheel base, so they are pretty close.
    Lifetime proud Ford Falcon enthusiast and owner of the following models XR, XY, XB, XC, XD, EB, AU, BA and FG.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WASP For This Useful Post:

4Vman (13th July 2017)

Validated User
    Yes it can be used for Limo work.

You only have to look at the Fairlanes death and now the Caprices to know theres no market for that car here either.
    2017 FORD PXII WILDTRAK 4X4 (waiting patiently for Raptor).
    2016 FORD FGX XR6 SPRINT LE TURBO 325
    2016 FORD LZ FOCUS SPORT

These luxury sub brands always make me nervous. Lexus is really the only brand that has worked. Even Ford are still trying with Vignale. I doubt they sell in high numbers either.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Vman View Post
    It's falcon/Commodore size... Not Limo size

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast