Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford Ranger - Bigger wheel / tyre issue

Validated User

Ford Ranger - Bigger wheel / tyre issue

Hi Guys,

What an interesting few weeks Ive had with my new Ranger. After seeing lots of new Rangers coming out of my dealer with bigger / tyres flares I took the plunge and ordered mine with the genuine Ford EGR flares and a set of Fuel Beast 20 x 9 wheels sitting on Cooper 285/50/R20's. We had to change the offset from +55 to +20 on the new wheels to accommodate the change in width of the car with the flares.

All was good, car looked great and the tyres sat inside the flares. I had a big issue with the EGR flares though on delivery, paint runs, poor fitment and one of them had been dropped on concrete prior to fitment by the looks of it. This was noted with the dealer and they agreed to replace all flares at a later date. Apparently there's an ongoing issue with the EGR flares, in particular paint runs.

I also had some tyre pressure monitoring sensor issues which meant every time I drove the car it would come up with a TPMS fault. The new wheels had the TPMS transferred out of the original Wildtrak wheels. I was reading alot of stuff online about the TPMS issue when I came across another issue, vehicle track changes.

While I was assured by the tyre shop and my dealer that the car was legal, in fact it wasn't. This is the law set out by QLD Transport.

"4.2.11 Off-Road and Goods Vehicle Wheel Track
    The wheel track of off-road four wheel drive vehicles and goods vehicles (MC, NA, NB ADR category) must not be increased by more than 50mm beyond the maximum specified by the vehicle manufacturer for the particular model.
    If a solid axle from another manufacturer is used, the wheel track may be increased by 50mm beyond the maximum specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that particular axle, provided all other requirements such as clearances and the tyres do not protruding outside of the vehicle bodywork.
    Note: This clause does not apply to passenger vehicles that are four wheel drive or all wheel drive and certified as MA ADR category."

Note MA Category relates to cars like the Ford Territory. Soft offroaders which are only allowed a change of 25mm maximum.

My car was sitting at 70mm over the standard 1560 set out by Ford, or in the case of the law 20mm over the allowable 50mm change. Given this I have since removed the wheels and flares and put the car back to stock to keep it legal, roadworthy and insurable.

I thought I would do some more research, in particular into the Tickford pack as I am not that happy with my car looking stock. I have spoken to Tickford and they are unsure now of the legalities of their product (Tickford Flare / Tyre Combo) as their product increases the track 80mm (30mm above the standard 50mm). To me this is black and white (not legal) but I thought there may have been a chance that they had some sort of engineering certification or something to back up this pack.

This isn't a swipe at Tickford, but more a question of how many people are running around with incorrect vehicle track, which you pretty much need to work with any flare combination to make the vehicle look proper and not like a gumby. Tyre shops don't seem to care or acknowledge the issue, most of them just say yeah its legal and move on, but to me this is deceptive and dangerous as they are pretty much putting owners at risk of having un-road worthy vehicles. Furthermore why is Ford selling EGR flares as genuine accessory without assessing the risks of people fitting smaller offsets to accommodate them, not to mention dealers delivering new cars with this issue also.
    Last edited by dash gt; 18th July 2017 at 12:09 PM.
    2017 FORD PXII WILDTRAK 4X4 (waiting patiently for Raptor).
    2016 FORD FGX XR6 SPRINT LE TURBO 325
    2016 FORD LZ FOCUS SPORT

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash gt For This Useful Post:

4Vman (18th July 2017),Road_Warrior (18th July 2017)

Good work Brent
    History is a statement, the future is a question.

Just a quick question, do you know if it an Australian wide rule, or just a rule peculiar to Queensland?
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

Validated User
    Quote Originally Posted by TS50 View Post
    Just a quick question, do you know if it an Australian wide rule, or just a rule peculiar to Queensland?
    From my research each state has its own rule.

NSW seems worse going by the following:

"An important requirement for all replacement wheels is that the wheel track must not be increased by more than
    25mm beyond the maximum specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that vehicle.
    Where non original axle or suspension components are fitted, the offset of the wheel in relation to the axle or stub
    axle assembly used shall not be increased by more than 12.5mm each side of the vehicle based on the specifications
    of the axle components used. If an axle assembly is shortened then the track width limit is taken as the axle
    manufacturers original track dimension, less the amount the assembly has been narrowed, plus 25mm."

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...si-09-rev4.pdf
    2016 FORD LZ FOCUS SPORT

Vic is Like QLD
    My Falcon family heritage: XY V8 Falcon 500, XYGT, XBGT, XC 351 GS, XD 4.1 Spack, EF wagon, AU Wagon, AU2 Wagon, AU2 XR8, BA XR8, BF XR8, FG XR6, Lucky last: Sprint 8. Oh wait, AU3 XLS Marlin Ute!

Validated User
    Yes and I cant find the relevant info in Tasmania.

This issue is a big one because there has been a huge shift in 4x4 modifying in the last 10 years. My feeling is 90% of owners don't fully know the law. As for dealerships the stats are probably worse!

I am hoping Tickford can do something to ensure that their product is legal.

I am now paying the price for not doing my homework first and relying on other peoples knowledge / opinions.

I just hope people take this seriously rather then shrugging it off.
    2016 FORD LZ FOCUS SPORT

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dash gt For This Useful Post:

4Vman (18th July 2017),TICK4D-TAS (18th July 2017),TS50 (18th July 2017)

wow there will be a lot of 4wd utes illegal then, there are so so many with the big wheels and big flared guards
    2002 T3 Manual Naroma Blue TS-50 (049)Sunroof, Premium Sound, Black/Blue Leather, Brembos

Validated User
    Quote Originally Posted by TS50 View Post
    wow there will be a lot of 4wd utes illegal then, there are so so many with the big wheels and big flared guards
    This is my concern....

I don't know why the laws are so rigid or why people seem not to care.
    2016 FORD LZ FOCUS SPORT

Good info Brent. My main reason for not changing my wheels (yes I hate the factory ones) was around the towing capacity and the load rating.
    I spoke with a couple of tyre shops down here as I liked some of the lenso wheels when I first bought the ranger, neither of them could say it they would take the towing capacity. So I didn't bother.

Then when Tickford came out, I was so used to my car being stock and just a work ute that I haven't bothered asking the questions again.

I knew this was an issue for the Everest but I thought the ranger had the correct classification. I guess I wouldn't wanna be involved in an accident with one....mind you I'm fully insured.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast